Probiotics.....

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Ok I normally give Raven a bit of yogurt or greek yougurt. I have tried giving it to Tyson and he loves it. The only thing is that I don't think his tummy can handle it as he gets the squishies. I have yet to get his poo totally firm like Ravens. I have cut back the amount of food he eats hoping to firm it up but that hasn't really worked either. So I was thinking to add a probiotic to their regimen to control the gas and hopefully help with his tummy. So any recommendations for a probiotic will be greatly appreciated.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would continue the yogurt and I would try a dab of canned pumpkin, not the pie filling for Tyson. That or a bit of sweet potato, bet his poo firms up quick.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would continue the yogurt and I would try a dab of canned pumpkin, not the pie filling for Tyson. That or a bit of sweet potato, bet his poo firms up quick.
Suprisingly the canned pumpkin didn't work. I even went so far as to change the food that he was eating thinking maybe he wasn't doing well with the salmon based dog food. The vet said the pork is the best because it's the least likely to cause an allergic reaction. Raven is doing well, he still has soft poo. His gas is a lot less as well.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Suprisingly the canned pumpkin didn't work. I even went so far as to change the food that he was eating thinking maybe he wasn't doing well with the salmon based dog food. The vet said the pork is the best because it's the least likely to cause an allergic reaction. Raven is doing well, he still has soft poo. His gas is a lot less as well.

What brand dog food are you feeding? is it pork?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Merrick's B4 Grain, Pork Flavor. When I got him from the breeder he was on a salmon based grain free food.

Excellent food. Maybe stop the yogurt all together and see if it firms up if it does then he may be lactose intolerant. Nuvet makes a really good pro-bio-tic [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] is the one that turned me on to them. They work :yes:

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The only Probiotics I give to my Bulldog is Vetri Everyday Probiotics for Cats and Dogs, they are chewable bone-shaped chews and I give them to my dog daily. They are for sale online
from Drs. Foster & Smith and Chewys.com.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You might want to consider changing their food altogether… even if it's a great brand it may not work for your dogs. I went thru this w/my dogs and I checked on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor to see recommendations. Anything 4 or 5 star is a great dog food… Good Luck!!!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven is fine with the food. I have to figure something out with him. When we got him he was on TOTW grain free salmon flavor. I noticed he was really gassy and would chuck it up sometimes. I changed him over to the Merricks B4 grain salmon since it was what Raven was eating and he kept on sneaking into her bowl. His poo was still soft and I noticed him still being itchy so I weaned him onto the pork flavor. I have given him some pumpkin and cut back on the amount he is fed. He is no longer itching and the tearing is almost gone. So it's just to firm up his poo. He goes crazy when he smells yogurt because he loves it. I am not giving him any because I worried that he may be lactose intolerant. I was thinking to try the probiotics to help with the poo and just an overall help with his belly.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use Kauffman's Stress Formula. You can find them on the internet. [MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION]

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Ok I normally give Raven a bit of yogurt or greek yougurt. I have tried giving it to Tyson and he loves it. The only thing is that I don't think his tummy can handle it as he gets the squishies. I have yet to get his poo totally firm like Ravens. I have cut back the amount of food he eats hoping to firm it up but that hasn't really worked either. So I was thinking to add a probiotic to their regimen to control the gas and hopefully help with his tummy. So any recommendations for a probiotic will be greatly appreciated.

I started giving my dogs Fortiflora when they had soft stools. It is the only probiotic my vet carries. I buy it from Chewy.com where it is way cheaper than my vet sells it. It's a powder that comes in premeasured packets and I sprinkle one packet on Winnie's food in the morning. She seems to like it--at least she still gobbles her food in a minute! Since I've been using it, stools are firm and easy to pick up, AND she hardly ever has any gas. FYI Winnie eats Orijen puppy.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I started giving my dogs Fortiflora when they had soft stools. It is the only probiotic my vet carries. I buy it from Chewy.com where it is way cheaper than my vet sells it. It's a powder that comes in premeasured packets and I sprinkle one packet on Winnie's food in the morning. She seems to like it--at least she still gobbles her food in a minute! Since I've been using it, stools are firm and easy to pick up, AND she hardly ever has any gas. FYI Winnie eats Orijen puppy.
Hey Donna...thanks for the reccomendation. During my search yesterday the Fortiflora popped up. It has really good reviews. I am going to order it and give it a try. How many times a week are you giving it to Winnie?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Hey Donna...thanks for the reccomendation. During my search yesterday the Fortiflora popped up. It has really good reviews. I am going to order it and give it a try. How many times a week are you giving it to Winnie?

I give her one little packet (premeasured) sprinkled on her food every morning--that's what the vet recommended. I started her on it when she was about 3 months and the dosage remains the same. I give my big dog one packet on his food in the a.m. too. Let us know how Tyson does on it!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Some dogs are lactose intolerant. Yogurt (unsweetened Greek Yogurt) is a good source of pro-biotics. But it still has fat.
Here is what I give my pup sometimes and my adult Boxer almost every day.

Take a couple of table spoons of yogurt, water it down and churn with a buttermilk churner. You should see the fat float up.
Remove the fat and feed the watery portion (couple of cubes of ice optional). It still has the "good bacteria" in it.
If this works, making yogurt at home is a simple inexpensive procedure.

Cheers.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some dogs are lactose intolerant. Yogurt (unsweetened Greek Yogurt) is a good source of pro-biotics. But it still has fat.
Here is what I give my pup sometimes and my adult Boxer almost every day.

Take a couple of table spoons of yogurt, water it down and churn with a buttermilk churner. You should see the fat float up.
Remove the fat and feed the watery portion (couple of cubes of ice optional). It still has the "good bacteria" in it.
If this works, making yogurt at home is a simple inexpensive procedure.

Cheers.

Thanks. I acutally ended up ordering the Bene-Bac Plus. I gave it to him yesterday. Let's see how he does. He loved the stuff.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.