Bilious Vomiting & Dieting

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We are on Day 3 of the green bean diet while we work to get curlys weigh down from 73 to about 65lbs.

Things are going well for the most part except for his bilious vomiting in the morning.

Day one: we fed him once at 10 am and the once at 6pm - one cup of kibble plus 1/4 cup of green beans per meal. He woke up the next morning with his bilious vomiting issue.

Day 2: 1 cup of kibble for breakfast (no green beans), 1 cup of kibble plus 1/2 green beans for dinner (around 7 pm this time closer to his 8 pm bed time - 8 pm is the time he goes to sleep for the rest of the night that he has seems to set him self. Curly really like routine) woke up in the morning with his bilious vomiting...

When I was feeding him 2.5 cups of kibble he did not have the bilious vomiting issues as often. I'm wondering if
1. His body needs to adjust to the new diet
2. Am I feeding him enough?

For those that are concerned about other health issues - his poops are fine and he is behaving normally. He was diagnosed with bilious vomiting syndrome when he was a puppy.
#FatDogProblems

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bilious Vomiting & Dieting

Poor Curly! I wonder if giving him a rice cake before bed would help? As far as I know bile in the vomit is due to being queasy from an empty stomach. You can also give him more green beans and see if that helps.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd definitely give him a rice cake before bed. [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] is right and we've had this same thing happen to Buster since day one and the cakes always make the throw up stop. Good luck and please let us know how it's going. Happy holidays to you and Curly!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree... it is due to empty belly -- give him a rice cake or a half-cup of green beans before bedtime

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks for the advice everyone! So last night we had a bit of an off day and curly did not end up going to bed until 11 and was fed his last meal at 9. We woke up early this morning at 8 and he was fine. I think the issue is that when he goes to bed at 8pm he normally sleeps until 11am. No joke. So I think that I just need to wake him up and feed him something since his belly doesn't stay full through the 15 hour stretch that he sleeps.

Fair to say though that at noon my husband comes homes and has him run around the yard for about 45 min and then we go on our 1.5 mile walk and then my husband plays with him for another hour in the evening...so I think he's just pooped every night or just likes to sleep.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice everyone! So last night we had a bit of an off day and curly did not end up going to bed until 11 and was fed his last meal at 9. We woke up early this morning at 8 and he was fine. I think the issue is that when he goes to bed at 8pm he normally sleeps until 11am. No joke. So I think that I just need to wake him up and feed him something since his belly doesn't stay full through the 15 hour stretch that he sleeps.

Fair to say though that at noon my husband comes homes and has him run around the yard for about 45 min and then we go on our 1.5 mile walk and then my husband plays with him for another hour in the evening...so I think he's just pooped every night or just likes to sleep.

he is one active bully! hope the schedule change makes the difference

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Good idea, sounds like he's just got an empty tummy. Let us know if he does better with a new food schedule.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Nu. I am sorry to hear about Curly having tummy issues. Jewel had similar symptoms except she vomited more than once that was not the normal run of the mill once in a while puke which promted us to go to the vet. Jewel ended up with pancreatitis whcih was casued by too much fat in her diet. I don't think this is the case with Curly.

We hope the big guy gets used to his diet and exercise program and feels better.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] thanks for the heads up :) I think that curly is starting to adjust a bit better yesterday. I decided to give him a cup of kibble in the AM and a ccup in the PM. I then planned to only give him green beans if he seemed hungry. He did not get hungry and went to bed at 8. I woke him up at midnight and gave him a midnight treat (which i had to force him to eat) and he woke up fine this morning

We have a follow up vet appointment on the 9th. I'm really hoping that we can have him drop a pound or two by then :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@rjisaterp thanks for the heads up :) I think that curly is starting to adjust a bit better yesterday. I decided to give him a cup of kibble in the AM and a ccup in the PM. I then planned to only give him green beans if he seemed hungry. He did not get hungry and went to bed at 8. I woke him up at midnight and gave him a midnight treat (which i had to force him to eat) and he woke up fine this morning

We have a follow up vet appointment on the 9th. I'm really hoping that we can have him drop a pound or two by then :)

I think the reduction of calories and all the exercise Stu is getting....I just hope Stu can hold up and Curly drops a few pounds. :)

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] LOL I hope Stu can keep up! Curly refuses to play with me - all Curly does when he hangs around me is sleep, which is why I take him on walks because I can't get him excited like Stu does.

Whenever Curly sees Stu, Curly's face lights up and all he wants to do is play. poor guy can't get a break even to watch TV.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] LOL. Sorry Stu exercise is better than TV. Trust me I watch too much TV...I have developed furniture disease...that is where my chest has done dropped into my drawers. :)

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] you can't tell me this is fair LOL (Excuse the mess)

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
And that is of course after about 45 min - 1 hour of this...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@rjisaterp you can't tell me this is fair LOL (Excuse the mess)

First, Martha Stewqrt does not live at our house either. That was pretty darn cute of Curly wanting to play with his daddy. Well it was either Sunday morning or Monday evening football with the Boomer (Chris Berman, Coach Ditka, Chris Carter Tommy, and Keyshawn). Well Curly, I will have to have to say you are being a little selfish not allowing daddy to watch football. It is an institution....although my Jewel and Bentley will somehow get my attention. Too darn cute.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.