When to switch from puppy to adult food?

lmmorgan726

Sep 15, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
My bully babies were 6 months old on December 15th. They are currently on FROMM's Large Breed Puppy Formula in the turquoise/blue bag. Right now both of their poop is awesome! (Considering they used to pee out their little butts with diarrhea--- sheww! Glad that's over). BUT--- Lexi's farts will stink out a room!!! They are audible and bring tears to your eyes a lot of the time and silent but deadly the rest if the time. Levi doesn't seem to have gas issues at all. We did give her a tablespoon of Greek yogurt the other night and it gave her diarrhea, so I'm just curious when we can graduate to the adult food and maybe change the ingredient away from less gassy stuff! Thank you all in advance! PS-- I love this site! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419700836.664985.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can change now if you wish, especially if you stay with FROMM and use the 4 star foods, as they are an all stage food. We usually switch our pups from puppy to adult food around 6 to 7 months of age. We also feed FROMM.

OP
L

lmmorgan726

Sep 15, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Perfect!!! I was curious what the difference is in the FROMM's Gold and 4-star but I'm thinking you just answered that. Thank you, David--- you've been a big help for me with our bullies!!

L. Michelle Morgan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lmmorgan726

Sep 15, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Will I need to transition from the FROMM's Large Breed Puppy to the FROMM's 4-star?

L. Michelle Morgan

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, David already gave you excellent advice. The recommended time to switch from puppy to adult food is 6 to 7 months of age, so this is the perfect time. Since you are already feeding Fromm's, you don't need to do a slow transition, as all their foods are interchangeable. We switched our guys to adult Fromm's when they were 7 months old, and we feed them Fromm's Lamb and Lentil with great results. Our female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, beef and grains. We do add 2 Tbsp's of plain yogurt to their morning kibble, but since Levi had diarrhea from yogurt, you might want to try a probiotic in a pill form instead. Probiotics will help with digestion and gas, but so will feeding a good quality food.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I would transition from their puppy to adult lines.

Directly from their page:

Can I rotate foods?

"We created the Four-Star Nutritionals line of products specifically to provide variety and encourage rotation. Each recipe is designed to be complimentary, and after transitioning to Fromm, many customers have success rotating between Four-Star recipes and even our other lines including Fromm Gold andFromm Classic.

Finding the right food for your pet is sometimes trial and error. One of the benefits of Fromm's interchangeable lines is the ability to switch seamlessly to new recipes should you or your pet become unsatisfied with a particular entrée. However, all pets are different, and some pets have more sensitive stomachs which may prevent them from enjoying a particular recipe or a rotational diet. Other pets are more robust and require no transition period between recipes. It's really up to you and your pet how much rotation you would like to incorporate into their diet."

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
The boys just turned 9 months old. They eat Fromm Puppy in the pink bag. Food is always in their bowls. They eat nothing until around 4:00pm. Around 7:00pm I mix two Large tablespoons of yogurt into each bowl of dry. They eat that then I clean the bowls and put in dry. According to our vet their weight is perfect. Poop is solid. I plan to keep them on the puppy until they turn 1 year old. Then switch to another Fromm food. Im sticking with the same adult food Tracey feeds Wally.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Food defitnitely helps with gassy dogs. When we made the switch from Buffalo Blue Wilderness to Fromm's and my Frenchie mix who use to be gassy all the time had immediate improvement.

When we discussed with our vet about how gassy he is (before we made a food switch) she said that dogs with pushed in faces tend to be a bit more gassy than other dogs because of the way that they breathe...so if the food switch to a Four Star FROMM doesn't work, you just might has a gassy pup. good Luck with everything!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gang has you covered... good luck with the switch

Lonnie

Oct 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
matilda
Hi there. I'm very very new to this site and I love all of the info I'm a little overwhelmed. Lol soo we have a 6 month old baby girl which I'm head over heels in love with. I'm feeding nutro puppy lamb and rice I'm confused as to what would be the best for her. Her weight is good, poop is good, gas isn't bad. But.... In the long healthwise is that a good choice. She does have lots of tear stains which I know is common. Reply's would be greatly appreciated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there. I'm very very new to this site and I love all of the info I'm a little overwhelmed. Lol soo we have a 6 month old baby girl which I'm head over heels in love with. I'm feeding nutro puppy lamb and rice I'm confused as to what would be the best for her. Her weight is good, poop is good, gas isn't bad. But.... In the long healthwise is that a good choice. She does have lots of tear stains which I know is common. Reply's would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome3: tears stains are usually a sign something is ot agreeing with them... with my girl it was chicken and my boy was rice... once I remove those two ingredients tear stains were gone as well as some other issues. Here is a link to rating of dog food... grain free is a very good way to go -- I feed Fromm Pork and Peas at this time and it is great for my pups

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Will I need to transition from the FROMM's Large Breed Puppy to the FROMM's 4-star?

L. Michelle Morgan

Yes you will need to switch slowly . The puppy formula is in their gold line, not the four star line . Only the four star line is interchangeable. Go with the grain free, as they produce little to no gas! :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would transition from their puppy to adult lines.

Directly from their page:

Can I rotate foods?

"We created the Four-Star Nutritionals line of products specifically to provide variety and encourage rotation. Each recipe is designed to be complimentary, and after transitioning to Fromm, many customers have success rotating between Four-Star recipes and even our other lines including Fromm Gold andFromm Classic.

Finding the right food for your pet is sometimes trial and error. One of the benefits of Fromm's interchangeable lines is the ability to switch seamlessly to new recipes should you or your pet become unsatisfied with a particular entrée. However, all pets are different, and some pets have more sensitive stomachs which may prevent them from enjoying a particular recipe or a rotational diet. Other pets are more robust and require no transition period between recipes. It's really up to you and your pet how much rotation you would like to incorporate into their diet."

I've not seen this, thank you! I always transition from puppy to four star, and it goes very well. Last time I was nearly out of puppy food so it was a very fast transition, with no problems. Only over a 2 day period. So I'm guessing while a transition is needed, it doesn't have to be a very long one as they still have many similar ingredients between the different lines.

OP
L

lmmorgan726

Sep 15, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Thank you all!! I appreciate everyone's advice! Sooo thankful for this website!!

Lonnie

Oct 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
matilda
I've been reading all the Fromm's dog food stuff which sounds actually pretty yummy. But..... How do know which would work best. A lot are feeding the lamb and lentils or pork and peas? How do you know which to choose. Other than major tear stains and a little gas I've noticed lately her chin gets red at times. Is that normal? I have so many questions lol. One at a time though. Thanks in advance for your replies and assistance

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.