Transition diet

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I need some advice on transitioning my pup to a new diet.

He is underweight, and hungry all the time, but I don't want to fatten him up too quickly, and on the wrong things. Once he moved into the fosters home, he was transitioned to Natures Recipe Grain Free and Easy to Digest kibbles, he's on the salmon and sweet potato flavor. They were also doing a little bit of canned food with him on top, but I've found that makes him super gassy, and you do not want to be down wind of Taco. I went out and picked up another bag of what he was already on, as his fosters said he was having trouble keeping food down, and this is the first thing they found that works. I am worried about transitioning to something with all the allergic reactions I am seeing from other EBD owners!

Taco also eats very quickly, I mean inhales his food, this causes him to puke afterwards, and he proceeds to usually eat it up. He also drinks water super quick, causing him to puke sometimes as well, or cough it up loudly. This has stopped happening when we limit his water and food to minimal bursts. We have only had him for 6 days now, but he did vomit in bed early morning a few days ago, but seemed completely fine with it, went back to sleep and was same old when we all woke up.

His stools have been all over the place, from solid, to diarrhea. Nothing in his diet has changed, but his environment certainly has. I did catch him rooting through the dustpan after some old popcorn kernels, so there is no doubt in my mind that he has been sneaking trash even though we try to keep eyes on him at all times.

I have started giving him organic coconut oil (teaspoon) at night, and rubbing a little on his nose, which he seems to appreciate. His skin is healthy, and overall he does not appear to have a lot of the bulldog problems *knock on wood.*

I know that there are going to be a lot of opinions on diets, but what is a good transitional method from the kibbles hes on into something healthier? Also, he's being fed 3 times a day, but I would really like to bring it to 2 times, one in the morning, one in the evening. What are some good snack ideas for the in between and before bed? I read that some owners give their bullys natural non flavored yogurt and apples, are there any other good healthy ideas out there? With the apples is it red or green, skin or no skin? Thanks in advance for all the help and opinions!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you do decide to switch his kibble, do it very slowly. How old is he?

I would also get his pallet checked at the vet, because of the vomiting issue. Occasional regurgitation is normal but it sounds like he's doing it a lot which is not. Maybe a slow feed bowl will help him too.

Snacks I feed good grain free treats, and frozen green beans, fruitables, bananas, ect.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I would also get his pallet checked at the vet, because of the vomiting issue. Occasional regurgitation is normal but it sounds like he's doing it a lot which is not. Maybe a slow feed bowl will help him too.

Snacks I feed good grain free treats, and frozen green beans, fruitables, bananas, ect.

agreed.... we also use kibble, green beans and Fruitables for snacks. I feed Fromm grain free Pork and Peas

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor

It's not often, but it happened once in a week period. He was surrendered at 5 years old, but the age was torn off his breeding papers. His energy, stature, and teeth, all lead me to believe he's 2-3.

I think the slow feed will be good for him.

agreed.... we also use kibble, green beans and Fruitables for snacks. I feed Fromm grain free Pork and Peas

Great snack ideas, thanks!

So you yoghurt, plain, is ok also?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's not often, but it happened once in a week period. He was surrendered at 5 years old, but the age was torn off his breeding papers. His energy, stature, and teeth, all lead me to believe he's 2-3.

I think the slow feed will be good for him. Great snack ideas, thanks!

So you yoghurt, plain, is ok also?

yes, plain yoguart is fine.. like a teaspoon/tablespoon once a day

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curly use to be a mess when he ate and drank. A couple things we did to help: slow feed bowl, evelvate the bowl, water fountain watering bowl (We have a drinkWell brand fountain - which are great but you need to take it apart and clean reguraly with special cleaning tools on a regular basis or the pump will stop working)

For snacks we give the dogs carrots, celery, low fat cheese, bananas... We also give them a tiny bit of peanut butter with their fish oil pill every morning.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Curly use to be a mess when he ate and drank. A couple things we did to help: slow feed bowl, evelvate the bowl, water fountain watering bowl (We have a drinkWell brand fountain - which are great but you need to take it apart and clean reguraly with special cleaning tools on a regular basis or the pump will stop working)

For snacks we give the dogs carrots, celery, low fat cheese, bananas... We also give them a tiny bit of peanut butter with their fish oil pill every morning.

Thanks for the advice!

Most Reactions