TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
EBN, need your help, does anyone have any experience with this food? Vet said Tyson needs to lose weight. We tried to cut down his food, but he seems constantly hungry, and started eating random things. We've always had him on grain free, vet says this food is not grain free. But she stated it would help with weight & keep him full. I know that they sell this in their office, so I want to make sure they are not just promoting for that reason only. I want him on quality food, especially since he's prone to allergies, and yeast infections. Any suggestions??

(He was on Natural Balance Fish/Sweet Potato - a month ago with switched him to FROMMs pork & peas, hes done okay on it, but all the sudden has tear stains, and staining in between his toes - like in the webbing part) I was going to switch him to the Lamb/Lentil FROMMs, but now vet it suggesting this Hills??

Thank you in advance.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is the ingrediets list of this food....

Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pea Bran Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Tomato Pomace, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Coconut Oil, Pork Fat, Lactic Acid, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Liver Flavor, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, Dried Carrots, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Lipoic Acid, Choline Chloride, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors.

I'am sorry to say that it is not suitable for consumption of any animal. First in the list is by-products, which is a nice term for waste, second and third is plant waste, which your dog does not need....I could go on and on...sorry to be so blunt, but do stay away from this s...t. Rather, pickk up a good quality, grain-free, limited ingredient food from this list....

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

...feed a little less and exercise more.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This is the ingrediets list of this food....

Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pea Bran Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Tomato Pomace, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Coconut Oil, Pork Fat, Lactic Acid, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Liver Flavor, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Iodized Salt, Dried Carrots, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Lipoic Acid, Choline Chloride, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors.

I'am sorry to say that it is not suitable for consumption of any animal. First in the list is by-products, which is a nice term for waste, second and third is plant waste, which your dog does not need....I could go on and on...sorry to be so blunt, but do stay away from this s...t. Rather, pickk up a good quality, grain-free, limited ingredient food from this list....

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

...feed a little less and exercise more.

I appreciate it, this is EXACTLY why I came here first before doing anything. Tyson has always been on high quality foods, and this made me feel "iffy" I think we are going to stick with my original plan & switch to the Fromms lamb/lentil and supp'l with some veggies, to help curb the appetite. Thank you for your reply, sad to say... I like our vet very much, but I have a higher level of trust from here!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I was just speaking with a person who has been developing a new kind of raw food in Finland. I'm going to try it with my dogs. Of course it is not awailable in the US, but may I suggest that you get some sauerkraut and add that in to his food.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I was just speaking with a person who has been developing a new kind of raw food in Finland. I'm going to try it with my dogs. Of course it is not awailable in the US, but may I suggest that you get some sauerkraut and add that in to his food.

what does the sauerkraut do?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
It will balance his gastric acids. If they're not in balance, he could be overly ravenous cause of that.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It will balance his gastric acids. If they're not in balance, he could be overly ravenous cause of that.

Ah, ok. She also recommended FortiFlora as a pro-bio-tic. I much rather do something natural instead.[h=1][/h]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
This is the ingredient list of thet product...
Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl-2- polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), brewers dried yeast, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. D-4582

...Animal digest is produced by the chemical or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean animal tissue that has not undergone decomposition. These animal tissues may not include hair, horns, teeth, hooves, and feathers, with the exclusion of trace amounts that are unavoidable even after acceptable processing methods.....
so don´t get me started...;)

sauerkraut is finely cut cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria, including Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This is the ingredient list of thet product...
Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl-2- polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), brewers dried yeast, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. D-4582

...Animal digest is produced by the chemical or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean animal tissue that has not undergone decomposition. These animal tissues may not include hair, horns, teeth, hooves, and feathers, with the exclusion of trace amounts that are unavoidable even after acceptable processing methods.....
so don´t get me started...;)

sauerkraut is finely cut cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria, including Leuconostoc, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus.

Well, I will be staying away from both of those then. Goodness, I haven't had so many issues with him his entire life as I have this last year. Guess its the getting older in age... Thanks for all the advice Riikka!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice!

Another good filler or topper is green beans, they have no calories, no sugar, and it helps fill them up. We did 1/2 kibble and have green beans for each meal and the access weight fell off her. I also give nuvet too so I did not need to be concerned of not meeting her nutritional values with that diet.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Great advice!

Another good filler or topper is green beans, they have no calories, no sugar, and it helps fill them up. We did 1/2 kibble and have green beans for each meal and the access weight fell off her. I also give nuvet too so I did not need to be concerned of not meeting her nutritional values with that diet.

Do you recommend the regular Nuvet or the Nujoint Plus? Tyson is almost 9 yrs. old.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you recommend the regular Nuvet or the Nujoint Plus? Tyson is almost 9 yrs. old.

Nujoint would be great for his joints- especially for his age. The nuvet plus is a supplement with vitamins, minerals and natural antihistamine. So I would recommend both.

When my girl needed to lose weight we bought the great big bag of frozen green beans at Costco, they are more like fresh beans. Plus the price for what you get is by far the best. She liked them frozen so it wasn't much work.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Riisi, when you give SK what kind do you use? Here in the us we have some in jars or you can buy it (somewhat) fresh in a bag. Would there be a difference? The jarred stuff probably lasts longer.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I would look for one without any additives. The one that I use is made of white cabbage, carrots and sea salt, nothing else.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Nujoint would be great for his joints- especially for his age. The nuvet plus is a supplement with vitamins, minerals and natural antihistamine. So I would recommend both.

When my girl needed to lose weight we bought the great big bag of frozen green beans at Costco, they are more like fresh beans. Plus the price for what you get is by far the best. She liked them frozen so it wasn't much work.

Thanks! I ordered the regular nuvet yesterday and its already shipped! I think I'll start one at a time since we're in a weird phase with him right now. I will also pick up the green beans this weekend from costco to start giving to him once he's off the bland diet. I am also going to look into the SK like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] suggested.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.