Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Need help with puppy food

  1. #1
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Need help with puppy food

    I'm on the hunt for a good puppy food for the first four to six months. Would Zignature Zssential be a good choice? Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula Dry Dog Food, 27-lb bag
    If any one has a better reccomendation I'd love to hear about it.
    At six to ten months of age the puppy will be put on V-Dog so I only need something for the first few months of his life.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Zignature is good food, if I were you though I'd go straight at the Fromms 4 star grain free any flavor so you can put all of the concern about switching them over at whatever age you decide to take them off pup food. Good luck whatever you decide!

  3. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11474

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a good puppy food for the first four to six months. Would Zignature Zssential be a good choice? Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula Dry Dog Food, 27-lb bag
    If any one has a better reccomendation I'd love to hear about it.
    At six to ten months of age the puppy will be put on V-Dog so I only need something for the first few months of his life.

    Thanks!
    Can you not do the V-dog before 6 months?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #4
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    559
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)
    186

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Fromm Puppy food in the Pink bag. Petflow will deliver the kibble via Fed-ex for free. I love their system. You can set the delivery date. I think it is free with the purchase of $50 bucks. You can order smaller bags but the shipping would be charged. Ralphie

  5. #5
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    We used the four star Fromm's puppy food, but the Zignature is rated high as well… I just enjoy the convince of having Pet Flow deliver the food to my door… Lol

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  6. #6
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Zignature is good food, if I were you though I'd go straight at the Fromms 4 star grain free any flavor so you can put all of the concern about switching them over at whatever age you decide to take them off pup food. Good luck whatever you decide!
    Hey Phil


    I had both Bella and Dozer on Fromm puppy, the pink bag and Bella had no problems with it but with dozer we could never get his poop to firm up.
    At that point I switched to Wellness core puppy and they were doing fairly well on that and then all of a sudden dozer developed a UTI and his vet felt that may be from the high-protein of the core puppy food.


    So I then switched both of them to Fromm four-star line and we went through every flavor. They responded poorly to every flavor but some were just so bad I couldn't even finish the bag. Right after eating their faces would get bright pink and have very bloodshot eyes and this was not happening at all with the other foods. So now I'm getting really frustrated as I'm sure everybody else's that has gone through this can relate to it was now time to switch them again.
    I came across V-dog brand dog food and figured at this point I might as well give it a try and knock on wood so far I've had absolutely no problems on this brand.
    So far they are not having any adverse reactions, no pink faces, no bloodshot eyes and some of the tear staining is going away.


    Thanks a lot for responding phil I do appreciate it!

  7. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Can you not do the V-dog before 6 months?
    Hey Christine


    I called and talked to them and they said that since it was not formulated for puppies they couldn't say that it was okay to use it, for legal reasons I'm assuming.
    They did say some folks were using it for their puppies but were adding to the kibble what was needed in the puppy stage.
    I don't have enough of an understanding in the nutritional needs of puppies or dogs for that matter and I'm not about to take any chances with the life of a puppy.


    So I figure the smart thing to do is to go with a puppy formulated higher end brand to make sure the puppies nutritional needs are being met for the puppies first 6 to 10 months of life.


    Thank you so much for responding Christine hope you're doing well.

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,140
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11474

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    Hey Christine


    I called and talked to them and they said that since it was not formulated for puppies they couldn't say that it was okay to use it, for legal reasons I'm assuming.
    They did say some folks were using it for their puppies but were adding to the kibble what was needed in the puppy stage.
    I don't have enough of an understanding in the nutritional needs of puppies or dogs for that matter and I'm not about to take any chances with the life of a puppy.


    So I figure the smart thing to do is to go with a puppy formulated higher end brand to make sure the puppies nutritional needs are being met for the puppies first 6 to 10 months of life.


    Thank you so much for responding Christine hope you're doing well.
    That makes sense... Zignature is a good food so I think you are set. When is new puppy coming home
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphieBoy View Post
    Fromm Puppy food in the Pink bag. Petflow will deliver the kibble via Fed-ex for free. I love their system. You can set the delivery date. I think it is free with the purchase of $50 bucks. You can order smaller bags but the shipping would be charged. Ralphie
    Hey RalphieBoy


    As I stated above I've been down the Fromm Road and it did not work out for us. I was using Petflow and their AutoShip feature as well which made life a lot easier and was very reasonably priced. Hard to beat them!


    I thank you very much for responding!

  10. #10
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    988
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    We used the four star Fromm's puppy food, but the Zignature is rated high as well… I just enjoy the convince of having Pet Flow deliver the food to my door… Lol
    Hey Tracey


    looking on the dog food advisor site Zignature was rated fairly high but reading all the information on that site, lets, just say it's way over my head!
    Having no knowledge of nutrition and the nutritional needs of our guys it has always felt like I was just stabbing in the dark when looking for a new food to go to. Overwhelming to say the least.


    I guess I'm going to go with Zignature and see how it does with fingers crossed.


    How is Roxy doing?


    Thanks so much for responding Tracy!

  11. #11
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    Hey Tracey


    looking on the dog food advisor site Zignature was rated fairly high but reading all the information on that site, lets, just say it's way over my head!
    Having no knowledge of nutrition and the nutritional needs of our guys it has always felt like I was just stabbing in the dark when looking for a new food to go to. Overwhelming to say the least.


    I guess I'm going to go with Zignature and see how it does with fingers crossed.


    How is Roxy doing?


    Thanks so much for responding Tracy!
    Oh I check out dog food advisor too, I paid for the editors version so if you want me to check it out for you just let me know. I'm NOT knowledgable w/the food either, I just get on here and let everyone help me out… Lol The Zignature brand is highly rated, and the price is reasonable… I think it will be a great choice for your babies.

    Roxie is doing better… she is still having accidents around the house, but she had stopped shaking so now we just have to wait out the 10 days to get more blood work done.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  12. #12
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Posts
    3,174
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)
    2620

    Default Re: Need help with puppy food

    I was just going to make a new post but checked and,,,,,,,,,,,, I see that at one time, you had the "editors choice" , on the dog food advisor. Do you still have that and do you find it interesting? I was thinking about joining and seems a fair price. I'll prob still post this separate, but found that you had it at least at one time so thought i'd ask ... Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Oh I check out dog food advisor too, I paid for the editors version so if you want me to check it out for you just let me know. I'm NOT knowledgable w/the food either, I just get on here and let everyone help me out… Lol The Zignature brand is highly rated, and the price is reasonable… I think it will be a great choice for your babies.

    Roxie is doing better… she is still having accidents around the house, but she had stopped shaking so now we just have to wait out the 10 days to get more blood work done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •