Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
I'm on the hunt for a good puppy food for the first four to six months. Would Zignature Zssential be a good choice? Zignature Zssential Multi-Protein Formula Dry Dog Food, 27-lb bag
If any one has a better reccomendation I'd love to hear about it.
At six to ten months of age the puppy will be put on V-Dog so I only need something for the first few months of his life.

Thanks!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zignature is good food, if I were you though I'd go straight at the Fromms 4 star grain free any flavor so you can put all of the concern about switching them over at whatever age you decide to take them off pup food. Good luck whatever you decide!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Fromm Puppy food in the Pink bag. Petflow will deliver the kibble via Fed-ex for free. I love their system. You can set the delivery date. I think it is free with the purchase of $50 bucks. You can order smaller bags but the shipping would be charged. Ralphie

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We used the four star Fromm's puppy food, but the Zignature is rated high as well… I just enjoy the convince of having Pet Flow deliver the food to my door… Lol

OP
B

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Zignature is good food, if I were you though I'd go straight at the Fromms 4 star grain free any flavor so you can put all of the concern about switching them over at whatever age you decide to take them off pup food. Good luck whatever you decide!

Hey Phil

I had both Bella and Dozer on Fromm puppy, the pink bag and Bella had no problems with it but with dozer we could never get his poop to firm up.
At that point I switched to Wellness core puppy and they were doing fairly well on that and then all of a sudden dozer developed a UTI and his vet felt that may be from the high-protein of the core puppy food.

So I then switched both of them to Fromm four-star line and we went through every flavor. They responded poorly to every flavor but some were just so bad I couldn't even finish the bag. Right after eating their faces would get bright pink and have very bloodshot eyes and this was not happening at all with the other foods. So now I'm getting really frustrated as I'm sure everybody else's that has gone through this can relate to it was now time to switch them again.
I came across V-dog brand dog food and figured at this point I might as well give it a try and knock on wood so far I've had absolutely no problems on this brand.
So far they are not having any adverse reactions, no pink faces, no bloodshot eyes and some of the tear staining is going away.

Thanks a lot for responding phil I do appreciate it!

OP
B

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Can you not do the V-dog before 6 months?

Hey Christine

I called and talked to them and they said that since it was not formulated for puppies they couldn't say that it was okay to use it, for legal reasons I'm assuming.
They did say some folks were using it for their puppies but were adding to the kibble what was needed in the puppy stage.
I don't have enough of an understanding in the nutritional needs of puppies or dogs for that matter and I'm not about to take any chances with the life of a puppy.

So I figure the smart thing to do is to go with a puppy formulated higher end brand to make sure the puppies nutritional needs are being met for the puppies first 6 to 10 months of life.

Thank you so much for responding Christine hope you're doing well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey Christine

I called and talked to them and they said that since it was not formulated for puppies they couldn't say that it was okay to use it, for legal reasons I'm assuming.
They did say some folks were using it for their puppies but were adding to the kibble what was needed in the puppy stage.
I don't have enough of an understanding in the nutritional needs of puppies or dogs for that matter and I'm not about to take any chances with the life of a puppy.

So I figure the smart thing to do is to go with a puppy formulated higher end brand to make sure the puppies nutritional needs are being met for the puppies first 6 to 10 months of life.

Thank you so much for responding Christine hope you're doing well.

That makes sense... Zignature is a good food so I think you are set. When is new puppy coming home

OP
B

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Fromm Puppy food in the Pink bag. Petflow will deliver the kibble via Fed-ex for free. I love their system. You can set the delivery date. I think it is free with the purchase of $50 bucks. You can order smaller bags but the shipping would be charged. Ralphie

Hey RalphieBoy

As I stated above I've been down the Fromm Road and it did not work out for us. I was using Petflow and their AutoShip feature as well which made life a lot easier and was very reasonably priced. Hard to beat them!

I thank you very much for responding!

OP
B

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
We used the four star Fromm's puppy food, but the Zignature is rated high as well… I just enjoy the convince of having Pet Flow deliver the food to my door… Lol

Hey Tracey

looking on the dog food advisor site Zignature was rated fairly high but reading all the information on that site, lets, just say it's way over my head!
Having no knowledge of nutrition and the nutritional needs of our guys it has always felt like I was just stabbing in the dark when looking for a new food to go to. Overwhelming to say the least.

I guess I'm going to go with Zignature and see how it does with fingers crossed.

How is Roxy doing?

Thanks so much for responding Tracy!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hey Tracey

looking on the dog food advisor site Zignature was rated fairly high but reading all the information on that site, lets, just say it's way over my head!
Having no knowledge of nutrition and the nutritional needs of our guys it has always felt like I was just stabbing in the dark when looking for a new food to go to. Overwhelming to say the least.

I guess I'm going to go with Zignature and see how it does with fingers crossed.

How is Roxy doing?

Thanks so much for responding Tracy!

Oh I check out dog food advisor too, I paid for the editors version so if you want me to check it out for you just let me know. I'm NOT knowledgable w/the food either, I just get on here and let everyone help me out… Lol The Zignature brand is highly rated, and the price is reasonable… I think it will be a great choice for your babies.

Roxie is doing better… she is still having accidents around the house, but she had stopped shaking so now we just have to wait out the 10 days to get more blood work done.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I was just going to make a new post but checked and,,,,,,,,,,,, I see that at one time, you had the "editors choice" , on the dog food advisor. Do you still have that and do you find it interesting? I was thinking about joining and seems a fair price. I'll prob still post this separate, but found that you had it at least at one time so thought i'd ask ... Thanks..
Oh I check out dog food advisor too, I paid for the editors version so if you want me to check it out for you just let me know. I'm NOT knowledgable w/the food either, I just get on here and let everyone help me out… Lol The Zignature brand is highly rated, and the price is reasonable… I think it will be a great choice for your babies.

Roxie is doing better… she is still having accidents around the house, but she had stopped shaking so now we just have to wait out the 10 days to get more blood work done.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I was just going to make a new post but checked and,,,,,,,,,,,, I see that at one time, you had the "editors choice" , on the dog food advisor. Do you still have that and do you find it interesting? I was thinking about joining and seems a fair price. I'll prob still post this separate, but found that you had it at least at one time so thought i'd ask ... Thanks..

You know I actually went on there this weekend, but I let my editor's choice run out. I'm going to pay for it once again because I'm probably going to do a food change for my guys. Walter is having a rough time lately, and I need to change up his food.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You know I actually went on there this weekend, but I let my editor's choice run out. I'm going to pay for it once again because I'm probably going to do a food change for my guys. Walter is having a rough time lately, and I need to change up his food.

ThAnk you ... it's a fair price and something I enjoy reading about so think I will too :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.