Suggestions for weight gain for dog with mega e

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
My Foster boy Who will be 2 in February was just diagnosed with mega esophagus. He underwent palate and nares surgery last week. We thought the elongated palate was the issue to his mom stop vomiting. The barium test diagnosed mega e. Right now he is on prescription canned food this week while he heals, but I'm looking for a supplement to his food to help him gain weight. He has lost quite a bit. You can feel his bones all down his back and ribs.

When he came to me I stared feeding him earthborn holistic Great Plains feast. I purée it in the blender and make it into meatballs to help with the vomiting.

Post surgery we also now give him water via gelatin cubes that we make with beef broth and water mixed into unflavored gelatin. Water was his biggest problem pre surgery. He can't hold it down.

Any help for weight gain? Nutri cal gel ? Satin balls? I've read about both of those. Not sure where to proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I don't have any experience with Mega E so I hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for but I would imagine that you could add supplements to increase the caloric intake. Do you use a Bailey Chair for feedings? From what I have read those are supposed to help a lot with pups that have Mega E when it comes to feeding and drinking.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Rice and Boiled beef meatballs? I know when I feed it to my boys, they gain weight. Just not much rice or it may back him up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The bailey chair and a fresh home cooked diet with a supplement may help him gain weight. It also would require him to drink less water since he will get some in his food. So sorry to hear he has been diagnosed with this, hopefully someone with experience can help.

OP
MyStellaBully

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I don't have any experience with Mega E so I hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for but I would imagine that you could add supplements to increase the caloric intake. Do you use a Bailey Chair for feedings? From what I have read those are supposed to help a lot with pups that have Mega E when it comes to feeding and drinking.
No Bailey chair as of yet. I hand feed him slowly from a tongue depressor. He sits upright and keeps his head back as he swallows. He has not vomited once since he's had surgery. What type of supplements would you recommend ?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
do you still have your foster boy?
i noticed Indiana Bulldog Rescue has a frenchie named Cooper that has megaesophagus. maybe you can contact them for some help.

Staff online

Members online