Peanut butter ok?

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Is peanut butter an ok treat to feed my EB pup?

Most peanut butter contains soy oil and I've read soy is bad for bullies.

But I hear lots of eb's getting their peanut butter fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Peanut Butter is a great treat for dogs, and many store ought treats and cookies contain peanut butter. It can't be any worse than some of the other ingredients, chemicals, and preservatives, they put in dog food and treats. It should be fine as long as its just as a treat and once in a while, it's like any other treat used in moderation.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So weird that you asked this today, because this article just came up on my facebook that [MENTION=10979]Bella and Dozers Dad[/MENTION] shared! I do not personally ever give peanut butter, only because I know from having children than peanuts should not be given to babies due to becoming allergic (not sure if that is an old wives tale or not)-- so that just stuck with me thinking if peanut butter could cause babies to become allergic to peanuts, surely it would be a problem for bulldogs. I usually give cream cheese if I need something of the same consistency.

3 Reasons Peanut Butter Isn?t Safe For Dogs (Or People) | Dogs Naturally Magazine

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
So weird that you asked this today, because this article just came up on my facebook that @Bella and Dozers Dad shared! I do not personally ever give peanut butter, only because I know from having children than peanuts should not be given to babies due to becoming allergic (not sure if that is an old wives tale or not)-- so that just stuck with me thinking if peanut butter could cause babies to become allergic to peanuts, surely it would be a problem for bulldogs. I usually give cream cheese if I need something of the same consistency.

3 Reasons Peanut Butter Isn?t Safe For Dogs (Or People) | Dogs Naturally Magazine

I would not put much weight into that article at all but thats just me.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would not put much weight into that article at all but thats just me.

I'm also sure it highly depends on who manufacturers and what the ingredients are. You make you're own so you know what's in it, which is good!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea loved all things peanut butter before she got MRSA... Afterwards.... She is now allergic to it. So I would suggest using it in moderation.

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
I was allergic as a baby/small person to peanut butter and outgrew this as I got older. I love peanut butter. I saw the negative article also. IMOHO if it comes down to getting a pill down one of my babies, I'm going to use it

Hank hasn't been getting as much Benadryl lately which does mean less peanut butter. He does seem less yeasty, but I can't say it's the peanut butter. I may research further.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Is peanut butter an ok treat to feed my EB pup?

Most peanut butter contains soy oil and I've read soy is bad for bullies.

But I hear lots of eb's getting their peanut butter fix!

Our vet said EBs and dogs in general tend not to be allergic to peanut butter. She did urge us to avoid versions that have added sugar and oil. Am currently using an organic version that has salt (as it's the only one I could find that doesn't have added ingredients), but am planning to grind my own per instructions from @Bella and Dozers Dad.

I use the tiniest bit to make pill pockets when needed and sometimes mix with freshly ground flax seed to make little patties that Buttercup just loves.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm curious to know when and for what you would use peanut butter as a treat?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I stuff empty marrow bones with it and freeze

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I actually use PB to stuff meds in it… Roxie is SO BAD about spitting out pills, she can't separate the pills from the PB so sometimes I just let her lick it off the spoon :p

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We give Frank peanut butter in moderation but we go to a place that grinds it right there in front of you and doesn't add anything. We don't buy peanut butter from the pet store either because some of the added ingredients are wheat and soy.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Whole Foods or Mothers Market - (health conscious grocery places) sell the peanuts attached to a grinder which give you the peanut butter.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup

I have used it for medication courses in the past (antifungal, antibiotic, steroid) and now use it for the occasional Benadryl tablet. I do not know how I would have gotten her to take all that medicine, especially the giant antibiotic capsules, if not for PB. It takes a very small amount (1/8 teaspoon!) to disguise the Benadryl tabs and she doesn't seem to suspect I'm not giving her plain PB. She is very suspicious of any interventions, so this is a major win for us.

After she gets the pill I usually give her a second pill-free tiny PB treat to ensure she swallows the pills as PB is sticky stuff. She actually gets excited when she sees me dig into the box of Benadryl b/c she associates that with getting PB. Runs from bottles, but gets very excited when she sees a jar because she hopes it's peanut butter!

It also worked fantastically to stop her recent head tremor episodes so I will always keep some handy. For both of these episodes she was in her own world until I said "Let's get some peanut butter," at which point she responded to me. The tremors then stopped as soon as she started chewing the PB.

We have also used a mash of freshly ground flax seed and PB as training treats as she is allergic to so many other things. I bring those with us to the vet so our vet can give her a treat that won't exacerbate her allergies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.