Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Soon we won't be able to eat or drink anything. I love peanut butter too. , and so do my guys.

3 Reasons Peanut Butter Isnā€™t Safe For Dogs (Or People)

by Dana Scott in Nutrition And Diet

If you know this, you know more than most pet owners ā€¦

Because most people donā€™t know that one of the top selling dog treats of all time is really bad for dogs.

Like really bad.

Yet pet store shelves are stacked with peanut butter flavored products. Peanut butter cookies, peanut butter stuffing ā€¦ and even those of us who choose to bypass commercial foods, have been fooled into thinking that the occasional Kong stuffed with organic, sugar-free peanut butter is an awesome treat for dogs.

So if youā€™ve been feeding your dog peanut butter as a treat, you might not like to hear what Iā€™m about to say. But I think when Iā€™m done, you might want to move peanut butter to the naughty ā€“ and downright dangerous ā€“ snack food list.

Hereā€™s why peanut butter is toxic to your dog ā€¦

#1. Most Peanut Butter Contains Aflatoxins (Which Cause Cancer)

Donā€™t know what aflatoxins are? These are naturally occurring mycotoxins that are produced by a fungus called Aspergillus.

And peanuts have them in spades.

Mycotoxins are one of the most carcinogenic (cancer-causing) substances on the planet ā€¦ and theyā€™ve also been shown to be toxic to the liver. Aflatoxin is known to cause liver cancer in laboratory animals ā€¦ and it would probably do the same in your dog.

And donā€™t think you can avoid aflatoxins by buying that fancy, fresh store-made peanut butter ā€¦

According to Dr. Andrew Weil,

A few years ago, Consumers Union looked into the question of aflatoxins in peanut butter and found that the amounts detectable varied from brand to brand. The lowest amounts were found in the big supermarket brands such as Peter Pan, Jif and Skippy. The highest levels were found in peanut butter ground fresh in health food stores.

But before you break out the Jif, you might first want to read more ā€¦

#2. Most Peanut Butter Often Contains Harmful Fats

Trans-fatty acids are one of the most toxic food substances today. Trans fats are the result of a highly toxic process that makes foods more stable, allowing them to sit on shelves for an extremely long time. Hydrogenation is the process of taking a plant oil, adding a nickel catalyst, heating it, and then removing the nickel catalyst.

The result is a highly toxic fat that causes diabetes, heart disease and chronic inflammation.

Youā€™ll know if your dogā€™s peanut butter contains trans fats if it has hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients. If it does, then donā€™t buy it!

And as if trans fats werenā€™t bad enough, roasting nuts can also cause the fats in peanuts to go rancid. So if you must feed peanut butter, then at the very least, make sure itā€™s raw and doesnā€™t contain hydrogenated fats.

But of course, youā€™ll still have to deal with the aflatoxins ā€¦

#3. Most Peanut Butter Contains Sugar

Think of white sugar as food for all of the nasty things we take our dogs to the vet for ā€¦

ā€¦ like yeast (candida), bacteria, parasites ā€“ and cancer! The more we eat, the more they feast!

Sugar can also cause diabetes, food allergies, premature aging and low level inflammation. And it feeds cancer cells.

Speaking of inflammation, thatā€™s one more reason why peanut butter isnā€™t a great snack choice for your dog ā€¦

While peanuts are high in good monounsaturated fats, their omega 6 to 3 ratio is terrible! One cup of peanuts contains 35578 mg of omega-6 fatty acids and only 196 mg of omega-3 fats. Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) can trigger inflammation, so too much is not good. And the most common inflammatory conditions in dogs include allergies and joint disease.

Sound familiar?

So why not skip the Skippy and give your dog a bone ā€“ or dehydrated liver and other more nutritious and delicious snacks?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
thanks for the article.. but man- everything these days contains something or other that's going to kill us.

sorry, i love my peanuts and peanut butter. you'd have to pry my Jif from my cold dead hands before i give it up..lol..

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My kid is allergic to peanuts, so I don't miss out...

But what makes me shake my head is the Consumer Report on how Rice is bad for you because of the Arsenic content.

You can't scare an Asian off her rice! 3x a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner... and snacks besides!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
My kid is allergic to peanuts, so I don't miss out...

But what makes me shake my head is the Consumer Report on how Rice is bad for you because of the Arsenic content.

You can't scare an Asian off her rice! 3x a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner... and snacks besides!

hahaha. I will still eat rice even if the Federal Government bans it and deems unfit for human consumption.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.