flex585

Nov 14, 2014
Rochester, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ophelia
my girl is on Purina Pro Plan Savor Chicken Rice from the breeder when i got her at 4 years old. I had my last bulldog on Royal Canin Bulldog 24 and she lived a healthy 14 years. I definitely wanted to get my girl on a better food so naturally Royal Canin came to mind until I started reading here so I decided on the Fromm's 4 star Beef Frittata. After several days of blending 25% Fromms to 75% Purina, her eye has gotten very goopy (she has a dry eye that gets a daily ointment to stimulate tear production) the eye has always been clean but now gets goopy several times a day even with the ointment. I can only assume it has something to do with the food being introduced. I would like some suggestions as to how to handle this, has anyone else had a similar experience, I want to get her on a high quality food but not at the expense of her having an allergic reaction of sorts. What is the recommendation in terms of other flavors from the 4 star Fromms line?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can certainly try another from the four star line, but if your girl has dry eye and you now have your heater running, that would explain the excess eye boogers. We just turned on our heat a few days ago and my girl who has dry eye has woken each morning since with tons of eye boogers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi, welcome to EBN and Congratulations on your new baby, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby thank you for rescuing Ophelia and giving her a better life. Our guys were on Royal Canin from the breeder, I knew it wasn't the best food because of the fillers on the ingredients list, so we switched them to Go Natural, which was too rich for them and caused runny poops. We found through trial and error our female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains and so after trying 4 different foods, we found Fromm's Beef Fritatta which they did really well on for 2 and 1/2 years, and then both started to show allergy symptoms. I was wondering, but not sure if staying on the same protein causes an intolerance or allergy symptoms? We switched them to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, and they are both doing really well on this protein. Many bullies are allergic to chicken and beef, they seem to be the two protein sources that cause the most symptoms. Ophelia may be sensitive to the beef in the Beef Fritatta, and may do better on a different protein. It is really just trial and error when it comes to finding a food that your bully tolerates. The great thing about Fromm's line of foods is that they are all interchangeable and can be switched without doing the transitioning, you can switch between flavours and proteins without doing a slow change. Most places will exchange your bag of food for another, if the bag is at least 1/2 full, and if not, you can donate your bag of unused food to a rescue or shelter, they are always in need of food and donations.
I hope you find a food that Ophelia tolerates. Good luck.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I agree with [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]. I just switched Colossus to Salmon Tunalini and he LOVES it. His tear stains had gotten worse, so I decided time was right to make a change rather than wait any longer. It could be placebo effect, but only after about 4 days his eyes already look drier. This post is just to say, dont give up on Fromm's just maybe try another flavor.

Members online

No members online now.