Maybe a food issue, maybe just the breed?

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I've had bulldogs before but I sure don't remember either of my previous dogs being as gassy and stinky as Diesel is! Whew!! Is it a breed thing? Should I try a different food?

We are feeding him what he was fed from his breeder (Eukanuba Large breed puppy). We didn't want to change much in the transition to our home and now that he is comfortable here I'm wondering if we should try something different. I cannot do a raw diet and we live in a small town with limited selections as far as specialty food.

We also have 2 other small dogs that eat whatever Diesel eats so theres that to consider as well. Any advice? Get a gas mask and learn to live with it? LOL!

Thanks!

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
A tablespoon of yogurt with his food might help! But, the finding the right food for him might be the answer. Ruby only farts when she has been given a treat that doesn't agree with her. I do not think it's the breed. Some of it has to do with digestion, some of it has to do with how much air they take in when they eat.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs very rarely have gas. They are eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream,grain free, and before bedtime, they get a little bit of food with two tablespoons of plain, active culture yogurt. Quite a few Years ago, when I raised Siberian Huskies, Eukanuba was one of the best dog foods you could buy. Now I don't think it is too highly recommended.
You may try yogurt, or transition to a better food-and yogurt.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks for the replies!
Looks like yogurt is the way to go. I was wondering about the Eukanuba. Taste of the Wild seems to be the preferred feed on these forums and if so many are using it tha seems to be the way to go. I know we can get that food in my hometown so I think that's the next step.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, agreed... get a better food, grain free if possible and add the yogurt. we feed fromm Pork and Peas...

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Picked up some TOTW today and will begin to switch him over and see if that helps. I appreciate the help to this newbie. Makes me feel welcome. Thank you!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Picked up some TOTW today and will begin to switch him over and see if that helps. I appreciate the help to this newbie. Makes me feel welcome. Thank you!

Be careful not to overfeed TOTW, I give Cami only 1 cup AM & PM and because
she's so inactive, have cut back to 3/4 cup each feeding w/added, warmed green
beans to fill her up. Cami was on Fromm's Chicken a la Veg and had horrible gas, I
think it was the chicken not the brand :) Good luck!

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Oh, thanks. We normally free feed and don't have any issues with any of ours overeating. Is that bad?

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Oh, thanks. We normally free feed and don't have any issues with any of ours overeating. Is that bad?

No...it's not bad. It's awesome if they don't over-eat. However, a bully's weight can get out of control quickly. So, I would say just monitor him. When he surpasses 6 month's he should not be pooping more than 3 times a day.

I remember ---hard to forget---- when I got my first bully years ago, I was so frustrated that he was always hungry, we could not figure out why...one time I just kept giving him more and more to see if he would stop eating....he didn't. We decided at that point that we could not free-feed. Never tried again, with any of them.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)

It's not recommended... but if it's working for you, then I guess it's fine.

There are just several downsides to free feeding with only 1 upside - convenience - which make it not recommended. Basically, food is a valuable resource for a dog, so if it's free, you lose that advantage to use it for discipline. So, if you have a dog with the tendency to challenge your alpha status, it is harder to get them to behave. Also, dogs tend to eat not only when they're hungry but also when they're bored, so you have the tendency of over-feeding a dog unless you measure the daily intake and observe the dog carefully. Also, not knowing when the dog ate makes it harder to detect problems and correlations to potty times.

But, like I said, if it's working for your dog, then it's fine.

OP
DieselsMom

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Thanks for the info. I need to research this I guess. We've always kept food out for our pups and none are overweight. Diesel gets his fill and walks away always with food left in the bowl and I do see a pattern of times when he eats so I guess he's regulating himself. But I will do some research on scheduled/limited feeding. Thank you! That's why I joined this board. So much valuable info!

Members online

No members online now.