Help Needed! Look for a new food b/c of allergies- any suggestions??

Melissao

Jul 26, 2014
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Hi all! Louie's only 6 months and has been having some yeast, itchy ear, pink face, eye problems so I decided to have him allergy tested. It's a long list of what he is allergic to and I have spent hours going over ingredient lists and have not had much luck finding any dry food or commercial raw that is allergen free. I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions before I embark on home cooking.

he is allergic to:
all dairy
salmon
shrimp
soy
tuna
fish meal
corn
honey
kidney beans
oat
pinto beans
white rice
sorghum
wheat
green peas
seaweed
spinach
zuchini
canola oil
cotton seed oil
hemp oil
peanut butter
sesame oil

Thanks for your help!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow that is a long list, I thought my guys had lots of allergies. This list really does limit your choices, and I would think you will probably find at least one or more in most store bought dog food brands. It will be very difficult to find a brand that is free of everything on the list. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions to give you, but I would probably go the home cooked route, that way you can control the ingredients, and will always know what's in the food. Hopefully other members may have more experience switch this and could offer some suggestions. Good luck

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Holy COW… that's a long list. I'm gonna tag some members that I consider FOOD guru's to help you sort this out… Good Luck!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm not convinced that you get an accurate result on a 6 month old, but if you can't find commercial food that doesn't have any of the ingredients I would suggest home cooking or raw. You can google "dogaware home cooking" or "dogaware raw feeding" and get good info. Making your dogs meals is of course more work than commercial dog food, but that is the only way way to really control what you're feeding.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with others... 6 months is way too young for real results, my vet did not do a test till my guys were two hrs old

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I looked for a while last night and couldn't find any food for you. I will look more today.

If you do decide to home cook, make sure you also provide a good supplement daily.

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman has severe allergies and has recently been diagnosed with IBD. He is eating California Natural Kangaroo and Red Lentil. He is doing great. Firmer poo and his coat look beautiful and zero shedding and itching.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If this is a result of allergy testing- it's inaccurate. I also agree with the other that's he's way too young to be tested even for environmental allergies. Your vet should have told you this.

For food allergies, the only way to get accurate results is by doing an elimination diet. So you start with one protein, see how he handles it, then add things one at a time. There is absolutely
not other way to find out for sure. Again, your vet should have gone over this. Going by that list, you're going exclude too many things he most likely has no issues with.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.