The Honest Kitchen Grain Free Dog Food - Reviews? Info? Recommendations?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Contemplating going the Raw route with the stinkers and I remember hearing about his food a couple years back. Has anyone tried it? I would love some reviews on this stuff if anyone has any experience with it. Although I feed a premium kibble now mixed with veggies and some occasional grain free wet food, I am always on the look out for something that may be even better for them. I am a bit squeamish to feed raw so I figured this may be a good compromise.

Thanks
B

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged Todd for you... he is feeding it to Harlea

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We switched Harlea to THK a few months ago and love the results we have had. We use the Preference Base mix that does not have any animal protein so we can control what she gets.

The thing i really like about THK base mix is that you can either do raw or cooked. We chose the cooked route as my wife wasn't ready to do raw yet. Whe did do a gradual transition over about 2 weeks and because Harlea was itching so bad we did vegatable protein detox for 3 more weeks after that before adding back in animal proteins.

While THK looks nasty when you mix it up it is actually human grade food prepared in FDA approved and inspected facilities so if you really wanted to you could eat it yourself. Also, you can treat it in a similar fashion like other grain free foods in that you can switch proteins from meal to meal if you want without a slow transition. The only thing you keep and eye out for if you do switch is weight loss as the fat content is much lower so you will have to play with finding additional sources of healthy fats to add to meals which really isn't a problem in most cases.

When it comes to feeding Harlea gets 1/2 cup of the mix and 1/2 of garbanzo beans and animal protein mixed twice a day. We usually add additional probiotics and coconut oil for the additional fat. When she started on this diet she weighed 35lbs and is after 3 months is holding steady at 34lbs. We are on our 3rd 7lb box of the mix and we are getting right about a month out of each one.

On a final note the customer service at THK is top notch in my book and is responsible for sealing the deal when we switched as both my wife and i called them several times asking questions and they were always polite and answered with no attitude. Also, if you want you can call them up and tell them you are looking to switch and they will send you samples to try. When it comes to the dollars and cents of it THK is more expensive than a top notch kibble as we pay $60 a month for the 7lb box plus the protein cost versus $75 for a bag of Fromm's that lasts 3 months but in the end we are saving as our vet bills have dropped to next to nothing.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] I am so happy for you all and Harlea, that she is doing so well now!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
There's a new product in the uk. I am sure it's barking heads but I look at that many I may get the name wrong
Anyway there's a few company's that are moving to a high protein content 80 odd percent. Marking it close to raw but not the full hog
Look out for it !!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online