Natural Balance L-I-D

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
My vet has been suggesting single protein source food for my two bulldogs. We've been using Fromm and only the Salmon has agreed with them, but it smells fishy. I contacted Petflow and they suggested Natural Balance L-I-D and specifically Sweet Potato and Venison. Has anyone had experience with this food? I'm looking for feedback. As always your input is appreciated.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If the salmon formula is agreeing with your bullie, I wouldn't switch to a venison kibble.

But I would try "Canidae Grain Free Pure Sea." It's also a salmon formula with only 8 ingredients. It has a different smell than the Fromm Salmon Tunalini. Not sure what the Salmon ala Veg smells like.
Just so you know though, neither of the Fromm Salmon foods are limited Ingredient formulas so if you pup was doing fine on it, not sure why you wanna switch to an L.I food?

OP
B

bscarpenter

Mar 2, 2011
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. We switched from the Fromm Salmon to the Lamb and Lentil due to the smell of the salmon food. However after being on the Lamb and Lentil, Meatball developed a chronic ear infection. I called Petflow to return my unopened bag of Lamb and Lentil and the gentleman on the phone suggested Natural Balance L-I-D since we couldn't stand the smell of the salmon food and the Lamb Food created health issues. If I could find a salmon based product that didn't smell badly on their breath, I would use it. Are you saying that the Canidae Grain Free Pure Sea does not produce a strong fish oder on their breath?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've only used the wet version as a topper, but Blue (my bulldog) didn't have fishy breath.

If you can return the Canidae, It doesn't hurt to try. You can also get it in any pet store. So maybe buy one can of it first, see how he smells after eating it, and if you're ok with his breath, get the kibble.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I used Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison on Chum for almost 2 years with no problems. I only switched because his immune system got messed up after some unnecessary shots and i tried Fromms which made matters worse. I would recommend Natural Balance for sure.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola was on natural balance for a while too, but her dislike of kibble in general got us to switch to raw food.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I used Nature's Variety LID for awhile and it was great, especially for my older bulldog. Unfortunately, it did produce rock-hard stools so once my older bully passed, I moved on and now feed California Naturals Kangaroo and Lentil formula.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online