General Question My spoiled Bulldog

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi everyone. I may not be the best parent, I share food at times with my dog. If I am eating I may give Buddy a tablespoon or 2 of cottage cheese or at times I will make him a cheeseburger to mix in his kibble at night. I know he is supposed to be getting 1 1/2 cups of his kibble twice a day. I started him on Taste of the Wild grain free and then went to Fromm's grain free. I occasionally switch back and forth but mix it when in the process of switching over. My thinking on this is at times he will NOT eat his kibble. Especially in the morning. I know I have spoiled him and giving him people food is a no no. He is 2 1/2 years old and around 60 lbs. Should I stop and will it make him eat his kibble? I think ( although don't know) is that he will wait until he see's me eat something and hold out until he is really really hungry before he goes over and eats his own food. Thanks everyone.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My Frankie does this sometimes. Of course being me, I went right off the deep end worrying something was wrong. There wasn't. What I did was, I would offer his morning food, if he didn't eat it in a timely fashion, I picked it up and then would offer it again in like 20 mins. If no interest still, it was picked up until dinner. He learned within a week that he missed his breakfast and now eats it all, everyday, like a good boy. Try it out. It won't hurt him to miss a meal until he figures it out. I would definetly stop giving him table food. Keep that as a special treat once in a while.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Rosalie… I would stop on the table food since he's 60 lbs already, this breed is very hard to keep the weight under control. You could give him the table food as an occasional treat...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with Rosalie.... Also, you can use the cottage cheese as a topper on his kibble every now and then

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx everyone. Buddy will go almost a whole day without eating his kibble. Yesterday after coming home I was glad to see he DID eat his kibble then of course at night I either make him a cheese burger or a piece of tilapia or put some chicken in with the kibble but this is only night time at around 630 pm. I have noticed that he sure doesn't seem interested in food in the mornings it is later in the day or after I get home he eats.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
What to do is get some coconut oil. Mix that in and your dog will love it.
It's very good for your bully.
From digestive to good coat. You win all round.

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
What to do is get some coconut oil. Mix that in and your dog will love it.
It's very good for your bully.
From digestive to good coat. You win all round.
Completely agree with@jiimmyjj . The coconut oil is really good for them, my two get it on their food every morning. you can get at pet stores- pricey, or cheaper at local bulk food store like Costco, BJs, Sam's Club. Good luck. :)

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx you know I read that here when Buddy was still a young puppy and I had some. As a matter of fact I remember I used to have to put it in the microwave to get in soft enough to work with. I will buy some more this morning in my shopping and see if it helps. I have notice that since posting this and NOT giving him anything. he is eating his kibble. Thx everyone

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.