Bland diet question

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I'm not having trouble with Henry at this time. My question is just for information and clarity so I can be prepared for the "just in case". I'm wondering about the bland diet for upset tummy. Could someone it explain to me? I've read that when needed to put your guy/girl on bland diet of boiled chicken or beef and rice. Do you only give chicken if they're not allergic? Or is boiled chicken different than dog food chicken? Also, how much would you cook and give? Is it half chicken/beef and half rice? Do you cook white rice? Brown rice? Instant rice? I'm thinking if I know these things I'll never have to use it! Lol for some reason this question nags at me because it's something I don't quite grasp. I like to be prepared for things so I panic less in the moment of need. I especially read up on bulldog info because I try very hard to keep Henry healthy as he does have some allergies. Thank you for helping me out, again...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Roseann, I have never had the experience where I've needed to do the bland diet, but like you wanted to look it up and learn about it before it's needed. I knew that the bland diet is used when an animal has an upset tummy, diarrhea or vomiting, and is used to help rest the stomach and gastric system while the animal is sick.

BLAND DIET FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS

A bland diet is a diet that is soft and highly digestible. It is low in fiber, fat and protein and is high in carbohydrates. Bland diets are generally composed of a single carbohydrate source and a single lean protein source. The most common bland diet is boiled rice and boiled lean chicken breast, without skin and bones. Since bland diets are low in fiber, stool production slows and defecation is less frequent. Bland diets are fed to rest the gastric system and to help promote normal stool formation. Animals that are physically sick should not be fed bland diets as a method of treatment.

PRIOR TO FEEDING A BLAND DIET

Pets should be fasted for 12 to 24 hours. Young animals should not be fasted for more than 12 hours. Fasting will allow the intestinal system to relax and minimize acid secretions that may irritate and inflame the intestinal lining. During the fast small amounts of water or ice chips may be provided. Never fast a sick animal, it may cause disease progression and death.

BASIC BOILDED RICE AND CHICKEN BLAND DIET RECIPE

CARBOHYDRATE SOURCE: Boiled white rice
LEAN PROTEIN SOURCE: Chicken breast, no skin and bones
BOILED RICE: 1 part white rice with 3 parts water boiled for 20 – 25 minutes or until the rice is easily crushed.

BOILDED CHICKEN: De-fat chicken breast and boil in water for 10 – 15 minutes or until the chicken meat is easily pulled apart and cooked all way through.

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS: Finely chop the lean protein and mix 2 cups carbohydrate source and 1⁄2 cup lean protein source.

STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: Bland diets can be premade and stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 48 hours. The bland diet can be cooked in a batch and frozen in feeding sized portions to minimize preparation time. Thaw and warm the frozen diet prior to feeding.

PERMITTED LEAN PROTEIN SUBSTITUTIONS

Pork loin, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese. 7% low fat hamburger, plain low fat yogurt.

PERMITTED CARBOHYDRATE SUBSTITUTIONS

Boiled potatoes, boiled spaghetti, Minute rice.

PERMITTED COMMERCIAL BLAND DIETS

Science Prescription Diet I/D, Eukanuba Veterinary Diet Low Residue, Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Intestinal HE.

FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS

Estimate 25% of your animal’s diet and feed that amount of the bland diet every 6 – 8 hours. Smaller animals will require less and larger animals will require more adhering to the same carbohydrate to lean protein source ratio. The bland diet should be fed for 4 -5 days with no treats or other food sources until stools are firm.

TRANSITION BACK TO A NORMAL DIET

Never transition back to a regular diet rapidly. Transition back to the regular diet over a 1 week period. Start by adding 25% of the regular diet to 75% of the bland diet and feed that combination for 2 days. If stools continue to be firm then continue substituting the regular diet in 25% increments and feeding the combination in 2 day time intervals until the diet is 100% regular diet. Minimize treats for 1 week after moving the diet back to 100% regular diet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bland Diet

Please look at the “Is your dog vomiting and/or having diarrhea?” handout first so you know what to look for and if your dog should be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. In any case, be sure to call your vet at the first opportunity and follow their advice!

Major tips for dogs who can benefit from this bland diet

Give their digestive system a rest by not feeding anything for 24 hours (6 hours for pups <4 months). On the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day, feed only the bland diet at he amounts listed below. On day 5, 6, and 7 add an equal amount of your dog’s regular food to the listed amount of bland diet. On day 8 feed regular food.

If your dog is not improving within 2-3 days, gets worse over the next 24 hours, or gets back to normal but the problem recurs after he/she is back on regular food, call your veterinarian for an appointment. Bring a stool sample with you – use a plastic spoon and scoop some up, then put spoon and stool in a ziplock bag.

This is not a balanced or complete diet. It should not be fed for more than a week or two at a time.

Recipe for Canine Bland Diet (makes about 5 cups – recipe can be doubled for large dogs)

1 cup raw white long-grain rice (not brown or minute rice)
½ pound hamburger or ground chicken or ground turkey OR 1 cup 2% or less-fat cottage cheese
6 cups water
Boil rice, meat, and water. Turn to low and cover. Simmer 25 minutes, turn off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes (it should be mushy). If you use cottage cheese, add it at the end of the process. Keep refrigerated.
Directions for Feeding Canine Bland Diet (this is less food than usual for most dogs)

Dogs under 5# should get one heaping teaspoonful, 2 times per day
Dogs 5-10# should get one level tablespoonful, 2 times per day
Dogs 10-15# should get one heaping tablespoonful, 2 times per day
Dogs 15-25# should get a level 1/2 cup, 2 times per day
Dogs 25-40# should get a level 2/3 cup, 2 times per day
Dogs 40-60# should get 3/4 cup, 2 times per day
Dogs 60-90# should get one cup, 2 times per day
Dogs over 90# should get 1 and 1/2 cups, 2 times per day

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I actually have my boxer on a bland diet right now, and since I just got home from vacation I just bought her Fresh Pet log w/chicken, rice and vegetables. They sell it in the pet stores in the refrigerated section… you just cut off a patty, and I do that twice a day. It works in a pinch...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus and Frankie have both been on bland diet. Brutus many times. I always buy a big package of chop sirlion, at least 85% fat free, and boil that until brown. I cook up white rice, usually the biggest serving because a bland diet will usually run at least five days. I mix it together and I feed 1 cup three times a day. It works like a charm for tummy upset. I have never tried the chicken because Brutus is allergic. Just make sure that while giving a bland diet, no other treats are given. The bland diet is basically a chance for the tummy and intestines to relax and recover from whatever illness is occurring.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monica has you covered with the info....

Banks is highly allergic to chicken so I always buy ground beef for her

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.