is George under weight?

stehughes117

Oct 21, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hi all,

I have a bulldog who is 18 months old, I have only had him a few weeks and he seems great. I am just a little worried that he may be under weight. He seems very slim and very fit, but I have been reading various sites on the web and they all say that an adult english bulldog should weigh about 56lb. My George weighs only 36lb, so you can see why I am worried.

I feed him Tesco complete dry food (because this is what he was eating at his previous home) and he has a handful twice per day.

regards

Steve

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@stehughes117 I am sure a photo is needed to determine the answer, as there are many sizes of bulldogs, and we need to see him to tell about his weight.

OP
S

stehughes117

Oct 21, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
George
ok i will take some photos and upload - thanks for your reply

OP
S

stehughes117

Oct 21, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
George
IMG_1954.jpghere are photos as requested - hope they are suitableIMG_2084.jpgIMG_2085.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2089.jpg

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@stehughes117 Well, George looks pretty good to me. He looks just about right. It would be okay if he gained a couple of pounds-but I tend to have "chubby" dogs!
You can not go by what people think he should weigh. For his size he looks good. He is not a boy big enough to weigh 50+ pounds. There are many bullies his size, and there are many that are over 50 lbs. It all depends on their size and build. He is still young, and will fill out a little more before he is totally mature.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Hi, I totally agree with Lynn, every bully is different in size, height and weight. I have 2 EB's they are siblings and litter mates, and they have totally different builds, but they both weigh 45 lbs. My female Blossom looks bigger than her brother because she has a stockier chest, and has a more barrel shaped body, my male Bulldozer has a leaner looking body, and people ask me all the time if he is mixed with Boxer. Their mother was smaller, but I did not see the father, so don't know if he was stockier like Blossom. The way you can tell whether your bully is a good weight is too look at him from above, he should have a well defined waist, also feel his rib area, you should be able to feel his ribs, but not see them.

Do You Know Your Pet's Body Condition Score?

The Body Condition Score is a system for determining your Pet's weight. Since dogs and cats can vary in size, even within a breed utilizing the Body Condition Scoring system focuses more on shape than weight. Simply weighing your pet doesn't necessarily let you know if your pet is underweight or overweight. Global Pet Foods recommends using the Body Condition Score System in conjunction with weighing your pet. Once your pet reaches their ideal weight utilizing the Body Condition Score System, monthly monitoring of their weight helps to ensure that your pet's ideal body condition is being maintained.

The Body Condition system ranges from underweight to ideal to overweight, and is based on a visual and hands-on-examination of your pet. The first step in deciding whether your dog is overweight is to know what his ideal body weight looks like. Compare your dog's figure to the chart to find out whether your dog is overweight, underweight, or at the ideal weight.

What's your Pet's Score?

1). VERY THIN

-Ribs, spine, and bony protusions are easily seen from a distance.

-You won't feel fat or muscle when you feel the ribs.

-The pet looks bony, emancipated and starved.

2). UNDERWEIGHT

-Ribs, spine and bony protusions are easily felt with little fat or muscle.

-The pet has a small tucked stomach, as well as a waist (hourglass shape) when viewed from
above.

-The pet looks thin, skinny or lean.

-It's recommended to increase the pet's calories or balance their nutrition to help them reach
an ideal weight.

3). IDEAL WEIGHT

-ribs, spine, and other bones are easily felt, but not easily seen.

-You can feel some body fat and muscle over the ribs.

-These pets have an obvious well-proportioned waist when viewed from above. The abdomen is
raised and not sagging.

-The pet looks healthy and somewhat muscular.

4). OVERWEIGHT

-You have difficulty feeling or counting the ribs, spine and other bones underneath the fat.

You'll feel fat on the hips, chest, and base of tail.

-These pets have a pear-shaped waist when viewed from above.

The abdomen sags when looking at the pet from the side.

-The pet looks overweight, heavy, or husky.

5). OBESE

-You cannot feel the ribs, spine, or other bones due to the large amounts of fat tissue.

-These pets have no waist, but but have a broad back when viewed from above.

-The abdomen significantly sags when looking at the pet from the side.

-The pet looks tired, finds it difficult to walk, run, or do any other type of exercise due to
their heavy weight.
Attached Thumbnails

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Wow what a cutie!!! I have an 18 mo old as well, he is 56 lbs. but as everyone has said they come in different sizes and shapes. Just enjoy as they are fun, fun,fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
From one George to another, we think he looks great!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I thinks he looks fabulous. As long as he's healthy, I wouldn't worry. It's better to have a bullie be on the the thinner side- it's easier on their joints.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.