General Question Great Life brand food

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
Hello all. We are thinking of switching from Petcurean Go to Great Life. Igor does fine with Go but the fishy smell it leaves behind makes everything else fishy he mouths (toys, bedding, the other dog). He initially had issues with Wellness which drove the switch to Go so I am a little nervous. Do any of you have experience with Great Life - good or bad I would love your input.

Thanks
Lisa

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does GO have another protein (beef, lamb, pork, etc) you can switch to instead of switching brands since he is doing well on it? I have never used either of them, but just thought to ask the question about the protein change

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
they have a turkey base which we started to convert to and he showed signed if itch and ear redness. the great like sample we picked up is bison for protein.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they have a turkey base which we started to convert to and he showed signed if itch and ear redness. the great like sample we picked up is bison for protein.

UGH.... food is such a journey for these babies. in looking at the food ratings is is a good food. i am going to tag a few people and hopefully they can give more insight

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Honestly, if he's doing well on it, I would leave it alone- even with the fishy smell. It's so hard to find something that agrees with these guys, so if it's working, don't change it.

totally off topic but, I love his name. iggy pup..lol.. I had a flashback to a song he did with the Teddybears "Punkrocker" Teddybears - Punkrocker (Feat. Iggy Pop) (Video) - YouTube (great song).

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
goodness it looks like i need sentence check. if he doesnt have any easy transition to another trustworthy food source we will stay with go. oddest thing - he would eat a shoe but wont touch fromms pork/peas.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
goodness it looks like i need sentence check. if he doesnt have any easy transition to another trustworthy food source we will stay with go. oddest thing - he would eat a shoe but wont touch fromms pork/peas.

they are picky little stinkers at times... my sister's pug was the same with PnP, so the went to Fromm Beef Fritatta and Lamb n Lentil. i can use the Beef but no the Lamb, Banks broke out in red blotches on the L n L

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Honestly, if he's doing well on it, I would leave it alone- even with the fishy smell. It's so hard to find something that agrees with these guys, so if it's working, don't change it.

Totally agree if hes doing well on it do not switch.

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
He switched very easily from the breeders food to wellness and then to go so I figured it was worth a shot. On go he occasionally has some "frito feet" issues that need a soak in acv to clear up and in the summer his one eye waters like mad. My hope was a switch might drive those occurrences down as well as getting rid of the fishy smell. I realize i am very blessed when it comes to Igor and food so you will never hear me complaining.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He switched very easily from the breeders food to wellness and then to go so I figured it was worth a shot. On go he occasionally has some "frito feet" issues that need a soak in acv to clear up and in the summer his one eye waters like mad. My hope was a switch might drive those occurrences down as well as getting rid of the fishy smell. I realize i am very blessed when it comes to Igor and food so you will never hear me complaining.

Those two issues could be environmental... have you tried giving Benedyl? You can give 1mg per pound up to 3x a day. My girl has a LOT of outside allergies (grass, trees, molds, etc) her eyes water and her paws need to be wiped after every outing

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
The fancy bull dog vet in our area tells us the eye is lash related and recommend surgery. I prefer to just treat the issue instead of putting him under. It is random and short lived. We treat the runny eye and the feet with benedryl and I clean his feet with witch hazel wipes and MalAcetic wipes as needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.