Similar bland food to Hills W/D?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
The prescription diet (wet) is a low fat, glucose management, gastrointestinal bland diet. We've been adding 1/4 cup to all meals to help his stool. We originally got it from the vet & now that we're running low my main question is: are there foods similar to the w/d which won't break the bank?
I just want my baby to keep feeling good. Thanks.:help1::unsure::(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hiya!!! :)

Is there a reason for him being on this food? Because if he's not diabetic or has a medical reason, I would not touch this food.

Here is the primary ingredients:

Dry: Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken By-product Meal, CornGluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Lactic Acid, Soybean Meal, Caramel Color, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Flaxseed, L-lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source Of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Iodized Salt, L-tryptophan, L-carnitine, L-threonine, Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta Carotene And Rosemary Extract

Canned: Ingredients: Water, Pork Liver, Pork By-products, Chicken, Powdered Cellulose, Corn Starch, Oat Fiber, Guar Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Locust Bean Gum, Choline Chloride, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, L-carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid (source Of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Beta Carotene, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid And Sodium Selenite

To understand why the ingredients in this food are so bad, read this article:

English Bulldog News Forums - Understanding Dog Food Labels and Finding Bad Ingredients

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Yea, there's a reason. When we first got him (little over a month ago), he came with loose stool. I used the same food & schedule as the breeder. Both Vets (wanted multiple opinions) put him on the wet. TD me to add it to his regular dry. 1 of the vets said he could stop it but recommended using a little scoop until his stool is no longer soft. His stool is so soft sometimes it's difficult to pick up. Other times, it's super easy & all in the same day. It's sooo strange. Since both vets said to keep him on the w/d. We just don't know what to do. :-/

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My thought is to gradually switch him to a grain free GOOD food. See if that helps his stools-it should -but do it gradually and take at least two weeks to switch him. If he is not on prescription food for an illness-vets who sell dog food make money on it, so some will push it.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I knew it! (referring to the link you provided. ) It seems as though it's like vets giving out science diet. I'm so upset I've been giving our baby this crap food!! Thank you so very much for your help & info! :-D

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] the vets put him on 2 prescription foods, I/D dry & the W/D wet... Both from Hills. Thanks for your help!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is he getting a measured (precisely) amount of food each feeding? How many times a day is he fed? [MENTION=12912]binxrexchubbs[/MENTION]

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] yes, precise amounts everyday. Same time of day is about 99%. 3x/day. Every 5 hours starting at 7am.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] yes, precise amounts everyday. Same time of day is about 99%. 3x/day. Every 5 hours starting at 7am.

Okay great! Sounds like it's likely an unbalanced digestion issue then if sometimes they are hard and other times soft.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] okay, you have made me feel much better. Thank you!!! :-D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa and Lynn have you covered.... find a good grain free food and start a very slow switch over and see how he progresses on that

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Grain free helped firm up my bully's stool. It was by accident that I discovered that she had a sensitivity to grain. Maybe that's all that is happening with your baby. Maybe try adding probiotics too. I use raw goats milk and my girls love it.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Will do, thanks! [MENTION=12092]Kevikell[/MENTION] Actually, he's on a prescribed probiotic... Fortiflora to be specific. Raw goats milk, hmm very interesting... never would've thought of that. Thanks for the info!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online