Reduce food?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry is a year old now and I'm not sure if I should reduce his food as an adult or continue feeding him as a pup. He eats 2 1/4 cups of Orijen regional red adult now. The food portion for a "less active" adult for his size is 1 1/3 cup. I don't know if I consider him an adult or a puppy because they continue to grow into the second year. I tried to look thru posts but haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I noticed yesterday that he is getting chubby around his ribs. He still has kind of a waist but is butt is pretty chunky. I tried to get some pictures but we all know how they cooperate, LOL. He is a small guy, about 43-44 pounds. He had small parents also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 143

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Roseann, most members including me, switch our puppies to an adult dog food formula around 6 or 7 months old, and at the same time reduce the feedings from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. I feed my guys 1 cup of Fromm's Lamb and Lentil kibble twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. At a year old, Henry should be eating a adult dog food formula. Puppy food has extra calories, vitamins and minerals that a rapidly growing puppy needs, but now that he is older, his growth will be slowing down. You mentioned that he looks like he's getting chubby around his ribs, which is an indication you can probably reduce his food intake to 2 cups a day. He rule of thumb is when you look at him from above, you should be able to see a well defined waist, and when you feel his ribs area, you should be able to feel his ribs, but not see them. His pictures look great, he doesn't look like he's over weight, what does his vet say? My guys are 2 and 1/2 years old, and they weigh 45 lbs each, they don't look over weight to me, but my vet says she would like them to be more around 40 lbs. they tend to gain 2 to 3 lbs in the winter months, when they aren't as active or outside as much, but then in the Spring and Summer, they are running around more, and they go on lots of walks, so they lose it again. My vet says its it's better for them to be the lower weight, because it's better for their joints and hips as they get older.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
His butt is so cute! I agree with Monica, right now he looks good but it's probably time to start cutting back a little, especially if you are noticing he's starting to pack it on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... I love him! Look at that face and those freckled ears!!! :heart:

oh, and, Monica and Lisa got you covered

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Don't worry too much with the feeding guides on the bags/cans as they can be off. The type of food and activity level of your dog can play a big role in how much you feed. Definitely feed 2xper day and just keep an eye on his waist. Right now he looks great. You can see his waist so that's what is important. If you notice that his waist line becomes less pronounced then cut back on the amount at each feeding. :) You've picked a GREAT food for your baby!

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
He looks good. Looking at his body I say 2 1/4 is fine as long as he is not getting pudgy.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I feed him twice a day, of course. He may chew my leg off if I didn't. Haha. He knows when it's dinner time and starts getting frisky. I think I will cut him back to 2 cups and see how he does. I have been giving him a couple treats in the day of frozen green and carrots. That seems to satisfy him in between meals a lot. He doesn't scrounge around for a crumb as much it seems. He hasn't seen the vet since he started chubbing up but he is due soon. I do just use the recomended food as a guideline but I don't want to over do it as 1 1/3 is far less than what he's getting at 2 1/4. I have noticed he has more frequent poops lately. That's what made me think I may need to cut him back a smidge initially. Then I was specifically looking at his weight gain. I don't always notice these things when I'm not looking for them, just lovin on him. Thanks for the help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.