New puppy - diet & stool confusion

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Hubby & I have had our bully, Chubbs for about 3.5 weeks now. He's 12 weeks tomorrow. He came with food & a schedule. We stuck to it & have slowly gone from 4 feedings to 3/day. When we got him his stool didn't look healthy. The vet checked it, nothing found. He was put on wet I/D along with a 2nd de-wormer, probiotic & antibiotic (not too thrilled.) Everything seemed to get better so the vet said I could switch to boiled hamburger & rice. I added carrots for some fiber. Chubbs did okay on it for 2 days then explosive diarrhea! Now he's currently on dry I/D.
I asked the breeder what she thought & what food she uses (Diamond Premium.) I haven't started the new food yet but what's everyone's thoughts on Diamond? Thoughts on the medications? Thanks in advance! Apologies for the long post.

Apr 16, 2014
Canada
Country
Kitchener, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie and Clyde
A lot going on...we feed our 2 royal canin puppy then to royal canin bulldog puppy,As a puppy 3x a day and then 2x a day at about 5-6 mths old. I have given plain Greek yogurt in their supper about a table spoon , that always helped with keeping stools from being to hard or soft (the runs) I think you just need to find something without grain, and let pups system get use to it, might take a bit and try a bit of yogurt,might be over feeding as well if mine ate too much they can get a big reaction to the amount...anything with too much protein will cause the runs.

Apr 16, 2014
Canada
Country
Kitchener, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie and Clyde
Sorry I didn't address your question about the brand of food, you go with what works, thought our experience might help a bit in learning about your new baby. I think they are all unique to some degree. Good luck hope it goes well. P.s. We just learned about the protein causing the runs so we try to keep it at small amounts even in their food you can check the content...but it was probably the hamburger chubs was having, and when it comes to the treats (beef bones and things like that) they have a lot of protein and it did cause them to have undesirable movements. Hope it helps a bit.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Id try the Diamond and see if it works and if it does keep him on it.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Sounds like he's got a sensitive stomach in general. I'd try something with minimal ingredients and also add something like Fastrack by Conklin - that will usually firm up the stool and transition them more easily.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Go with the hamburger and rice again until his stool is firm. No carrots- just the burger and rice.

I'm not a fan of Diamond food, there are much better healthier choices. Also make sure not to over feed, as this is one of the most common reasons puppies have soft stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Go with the hamburger and rice again until his stool is firm. No carrots- just the burger and rice.

I'm not a fan of Diamond food, there are much better healthier choices. Also make sure not to over feed, as this is one of the most common reasons puppies have soft stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed!

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Thanks for your response. If you're not a fan of Diamond, what do you prefer?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.