Diet for Cystine stones - low protein

Odessa

Apr 9, 2013
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker & in extended family his dad Diesel & cousin Odessa
Does anyone have experience with diets to prevent Cystine crystals/ stones for Cystinuria?:pray:

My boy is newly diagnosed and I am researching options other then the Dr recommendation to Hills Urinary. Tucker doesn't do well with yest build up in his wrinkles either so I would like to limit starch as he was on a non starch diet previous to his surgery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am going to tag [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] she has some experience with crystals but I forget which it was

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Any updates on you baby and food updates too

I love my bullies!!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My boy has Hyperuricosuria and can develope urate stones and I feed him raw, against doctors orders. He's been clear for 3 years. Cystine is different and I unfortunately don't know enough to give you solide advice. Bullmastiffs have more cystinuria and there's a yahoo group for them. I suggest you join that. They do except other breeds too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Usually recommended for this is Hill's UD. If you read the ingriedients in this food, perhaps you can come up with something else. I am sorry to hear about your baby having this. This is considered to be a genetic condition. Wet food is recommended, as it helps with more moisture. Also if I remember Bicarbonate of Soda.
I had a male cat who suffered alot with this. Eventually he had a "sex change" operation, and never had a problem again. (that was even before it was "politically correct....)
In dogs, I think that they have less trouble as they get older-but not sure. If worse comes to worse(pray not) ask your dr. about the surgery.
I will be hoping that he(:pray:) will do well enough that it wouldn't be needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.