Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Default No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

We recently switched to Wellness Simple (limited ingredient) Salmon + Potato kibble to get the chicken out of Buttercup's diet due to suspected allergy with skin manifestations. The vet recommended we try salmon, but I found only a few foods with salmon and no chicken products.

Is there anything I can do to make her food more palatable when she is not very hungry? She seems to enjoy her kibble later in the day but in the morning she doesn't want it and instead prefers to sleep. However, she seems prone to vomiting if her stomach remains empty more than ~12-14 hours, and she is very happy to delay eating until mid-afternoon. She also needs food with her current medication course, so I have to get her to eat in the morning. It has been a real challenge!

I've started coating her kibble in natural peanut butter (her favorite treat), which sometimes works, but other times she just deftly licks it off of the kibble. Not sure if Wellness is her forever food since we switched only 2 weeks ago, but I wonder if there's anything else I can do to make her food appealing in the morning without training her to expect a treat-food combination at every meal.

She can be finicky as she has turned her nose up at all offered veggie treats and cider vinegar in her water. We would consider making some or all of her food at home, but I don't know where to begin. Thanks if you can share any tips or tricks to help!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

The Honest Kitchen is a great choice if you want to home cook... it is a base and then you add the protein of your choice to the formula you selected. You can also try Earthborn Meadowfeast or Fromm Beef Frittata or Pork and Peas... all three have no chicken or grains.

Have you tried plain yogurt as a topper?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

Thanks for your tips. We have not tried plain yogurt as a topper, but that might be good to help with hydration a bit as she doesn't drink a ton of water, either (tho' we do filter it). Wasn't sure if dairy might be another allergy for her, but it is worth a try.

I think our vet said that beef is the second most common allergy after chicken so I'm hesitant to try a beef-based food. But if she won't eat this one then there are not too many other salmon options. Taste of the Wild and Pinnacle were two options but I have not seen those listed much on this forum. Wellness has another grain-free chicken-free formula but the protein is very high and I don't want to cause kidney problems especially since she drinks so little water.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@minibull, if the Wellness kibble you are feeding Buttercup has a wet/canned version, you can put a little bit of that as a topper on the dry. Other toppers I've tried besides yogurt: shredded cheese, eggs, and liver.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

@cali baker, I checked and they do have a canned version! I will try that first and keep the other options you mentioned in mind.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I know a lot of people use Taste of the Wild, and I use Earthborne Holistic for my boxer. They are both well rated dog foods… www.dogfoodadvisors.com

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@minibull If you want to moisten the food, try adding a little beef broth to the kibble as a suggestion to the above posts.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Try canned pumpkin. My dogs go crazy for it and its great for digestion. Just make sure it is pure pumpkin with no sugar added.

Real Name
    Paula
    Country
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Thanks for your tips. We have not tried plain yogurt as a topper, but that might be good to help with hydration a bit as she doesn't drink a ton of water, either (tho' we do filter it). Wasn't sure if dairy might be another allergy for her, but it is worth a try.

I think our vet said that beef is the second most common allergy after chicken so I'm hesitant to try a beef-based food. But if she won't eat this one then there are not too many other salmon options. Taste of the Wild and Pinnacle were two options but I have not seen those listed much on this forum. Wellness has another grain-free chicken-free formula but the protein is very high and I don't want to cause kidney problems especially since she drinks so little water.
    That's what I was going to suggest. Plain Greek yogurt ..my 2 love it, but I know what you mean about not eating much in the morning.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to everyone for your many great tips. I picked up some of the Wellness Simple canned food and will get some yogurt and pumpkin to try, keeping broth and new food as our next options. Maybe we will try Taste of the Wild kibble as she really seemed to love the last food we had, a Hill "natural" line which unfortunately contained chicken. Never had a problem trying to get her to eat it, but it only lasted a week before we realized chicken was a no-no.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my guys don't have any problems eating, or turning down any food lol. They are so food motivated. We feed Fromm's Lamb and Lentil with good results. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, and now beef as well, and she is allergic or sensitive to corn and grains. Half the battle is identifying the source of the allergies, and then it's trial and error trying to find a dog food that is both a good quality and is tolerated by your dog. I add some natural supplements to my guys food everyday for preventative and health benefits. I add 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble everyday, yogurt is an excellent source of Probiotics, which aids in digestion and boosts the Immune system,
    ( allergies are caused by a abnormal response of the immune system, so by boosting the immune system, you can fight infections, parasites, yeast, and allergy symptoms better). Yogurt doesn't cause dogs problems because it is naturally lactose free, because it's fermented, only milk and dairy products can cause problems. I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the drinking water everyday, if he won't drink the water, then you can add it to the evening kibble, don't mix it with the yogurt, as it will curdle from the vinegar. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of diseases, including Arthritis are caused by inflammation in the body ), it kills the bad bacteria in the body, and so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. I also add1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil to the evening kibble, this is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are good for the bones and joints, the skin and coat, and the brain.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, my guys don't have any problems eating, or turning down any food lol. They are so food motivated. We feed Fromm's Lamb and Lentil with food results. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, and now beef as well, and she is allergic or sensitive to corn and grains. Half the battle is identifying the source of the allergies, and then it's trial and error trying to find a dog food that is both a good quality and is tolerated by your dog. I add some natural supplements to my guys food everyday for preventative and health benefits. I add 2 Tbsps of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble everyday, yogurt is an excellent source of Probiotics, which aids in digestion and boosts the Immune system,
    ( allergies are caused by a abnormal response of the immune system, so by boosting the immune system, you can fight infections, parasites, yeast, and allergy symptoms better). Yogurt doesn't cause dogs problems because it is naturally lactose free, because it's fermented, only milk and dairy products can cause problems. I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the drinking water everyday, if he won't drink the water, then you can add it to the evening kibble, don't mix it with the yogurt, as it will curdle from the vinegar. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, ( 99% of diseases, including Arthritis are caused by inflammation in the body ), it kills the bad bacteria in the body, and so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. I also add1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil to the evening kibble, this is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are good for the bones and joints, the skin and coat, and the brain.
    @Vikinggirl, I'm sorry that Blossom is so allergy-prone. It's so hard to watch Buttercup suffer when she's itchy and it seems so many bulldogs suffer similarly. It's not fair!

Well she gobbled up her morning kibble today with just a dab of the Wellness canned so there is success! But I will get some yogurt, anyway. Her kibble has a probiotic (E. faecium, which the vet offered me as a separate powdered product) in it but it is different from the strains in yogurt. Thanks for motivating me to try the ACV again tonight...maybe if she won't eat it in the kibble then the canned food topper will convince her. She is really prone to fungal skin infection and I worry it'll all come back after she finishes her ketoconazole course (tho' we will continue medicated baths).

On a related note, I was reading an article about topical flea/tick preventive medication in the New York Times and one of the commentators recommended brewer's yeast as an internal preventive. Then I read this Q&A piece by a vet about brewer's yeast and it makes me wonder if we should try it as an immune booster and flea/tick preventive. We have found only one flea on her so far but we have some woods just outside so ticks are a possibility (tho' with her white fur it's easy for me to check her for them).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads