Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

@Vikinggirl -- just tried the ACV in kibble with a little canned topper and she ate all of it & asked for more! Might work up to just kibble + ACV, but for now I will take what I can get. Thank you so much for urging me to try it again. The vet highly recommended it, too, but she did not mention putting it in food like you did.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No appetite for food in the morning --> vomiting due to empty stomach

I'm so glad you were able to get her to eat the kibble with the ACV. Some dogs don't like the smell of the vinegar in their water, so turn their noses up at it, or maybe they don't like the taste of the vinegar on its own. My guys have had it in their water since they were 10 weeks old, so they don't know water any other way. I also put it in their kibble sometimes, because they don't always drink a lot of water. Sometimes we bully mamas have to be sneaky and hide things in their food, just like little children. Lol.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Buttercups Mom (sorry I don't know your name), I think many of our bullies are allergic or sensitive to different things, but I see that or it seems to me that most of the bullies that suffer from allergies are white in colour. I wonder if they are prone to more allergies or if we just can see their allergy symptoms more because they show up better on their skin. The bully breed is prone to many health issues such as allergies, skin problems, joint and ACL problems, and breathing problems due to the short faces and treacheas which can compromise their breathing. I give the supplements because I believe that you can help or prevent some of these issues like the allergies by boosting the immune system, it helps the body fight these symptoms, and also the ACV kills bad bacteria, parasites, and infections systemically, hopefully helping to minimize use of medications and steroids to control these. I like the fact that they are natural remedies, and are easily available and inexpensive. I think that if you can avoid or eliminate some of these health issues, then you will have a healthier dog and will also save money on vet bills in the long run. I've heard lots of good things regarding Brewers Yeast, even for ourselves. It is a good source of Vitamin B's, and like the other supplements it can't hurt to give it to your dog.
    You can also use plain white vinegar as a rinse agent after Buttercups' bath. I mix equal amounts of warm water and plain white vinegar, ( the kind you buy at the grocery store, don't use ACV for this, as it's too expensive for bathing). Vinegar used as a rinse after shampooing will improve the skin, by killing mites and parasites on the skin, vinegar is a natural anti fungal and anti bacterial. I find that when I rinse them with vinegar, it leaves their coat and their skin soft, and it keeps them smelling nice longer in between their baths.

Brewer's yeast is an all-around health booster.

If you're thinking of giving your pooch a supplement to boost his general health, or you want a natural way of keeping him flea-free, then some vets suggest a daily dose of brewer's yeast. Rich in B vitamins and important minerals, this supplement puts a spring in his step.

What's in Brewer's Yeast?

As its name suggests, brewer's yeast is traditionally used for making beer. It's rich in minerals, particularly chromium, which plays a role in regulating blood sugar levels, and the antioxidant selenium, which protects cell health. It contains all the B vitamins with the exception of vitamin B12. The Bs as a group most importantly convert food into energy. They also maintain the digestive system, support the nervous system, boost liver function and keep your pooch's eyes, skin, mouth and coat in tip-top condition.

Flea Control

You probably give your buddy a regular flea treatment, but brewer's yeast boosts his protection. Researchers don't know exactly why giving your pooch a daily dose of brewer's yeast keeps fleas away from him, plus ticks, mosquitoes and other flying, biting insects. According to VetInfo, these insects are either repelled by the strong smell of brewer's yeast coming from your pup -- don't worry, you won't smell it -- or the supplement gives your pup's blood a taste that a biting insect can't stand.

Glossy Coat and Calm Nerves

Show dog owners use brewer's yeast to keep the coat looking thick and glossy. As a bonus, not only will your pooch look better, the antioxidants in brewer's yeast also protect him from itchy, dry skin disorders. Owners of dogs that shed a lot may be delighted to know that brewer's yeast helps reduce that problem. The B vitamins in the supplement are great stress reducers. When your dog is in a stressful situation he rapidly burns up B vitamins. The brain reacts to low levels of B vitamins by releasing stress hormones, such as adrenalin, which give your pooch feelings of anxiety. If your pooch is particularly stress-prone, a daily dose of brewer's yeast should keep him calm.

Dosage

You'll find brewer's yeast supplements for your buddy at pet stores. In general, one tablet or 1 teaspoon per day is sufficient. VetInfo recommends taking your dog's weight into account and reading the guidelines on the packaging. Some pets have an allergic reaction, so watch out for dry, itchy skin. Stop giving him the supplement and see if the rash clears up. If it does, you'll know he's allergic to brewer's yeast; if it doesn't, then something else has caused the rash and you need to see you vet.
    Some brewer's yeast supplements for dogs are sold with garlic added. Although garlic is toxic to dogs, VetInfo says that it is safe in a dose of 1 gram (0.035 ounces) for every 10 pounds your dog weighs. Garlic's benefits include boosting the immune system and protecting the liver.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

@Vikinggirl, thanks for the brewer's yeast and vinegar rinse info! We dipped her paws in ACV after the last bath but you are right that we should get some regular white vinegar for this and a post-bath rinse. We will start at the next bath. Yes, our little girl is white with spots and it's easy to see pink or red spots through her fur. I hope that regulating her immune system and getting her on the right food (fingers crossed) will keep any allergies at bay. She is doing much better on her ketoconazole course and with regular medicated baths but we still have a ways to go, especially with her paws and facial folds!

Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Your welcome Hun, it can take up to a month to notice any benefits or improvements from a food change, and new supplements. I also forgot to mention to you, that when you are adding all these new supplements, or whenever you add or try a new treat, or food like fruits and vegetables, always add one at a time by themselves, and for a whole week, before adding another new one, this way you will know right away which new food or supplement wasn't tolerated or which one caused an allergic reaction, then you won't have to guess which one, and can just eliminate the one that caused a reaction. If after a week, you don't see any reactions or allergy symptoms, then add the next new treat, or supplement and so on.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

@Vikinggirl -- thanks for the great reminder! I guess it's easy to get overzealous in my efforts to improve our girl's health. But slow and steady wins the race so we will stick with the ACV for now (I still cannot believe she is taking it with her food and asking for more!) and try other options later. Am very eager to see if she will try the Brewer's yeast but if all goes well that can be our food project for next month.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

We do California Natural Products.. Miss Daphnee is on the Kangaroo and Lentil, and does great... We also use canned pumpkin at times as well... We'll give her kibble before she goes to bed as well.. She is VERY OCD, and has her routine, so things are great when they work...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads