Help Needed! Switching food

Guido

Sep 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido
Hi, I just purchased my first dog ever. He is a now 4 1/2 month English Bulldog. My friend has one and she is very strict (crazy) on what she feeds her dog, and has taught me a lot. She actually has me pretty crazy as well hahaha. My breeder was feeding him Royal Canin, and I wanted to get him off of grains as soon as possible (I was told this by many people). I first started off with Fromm 4 star pork and peas, and he wouldn't touch it. Then switched to Fromm beef fritata. He liked it at first, but still wouldn't eat it much. I then tried Acana Richlands, which he loved. I talked to Acana and they said not to give him beef yet and they suggested Wild Prairie for a puppy, saying that the poultry was better (which I was also told to stay away from poultry for allergy reasons) and he really liked that as well. When I got to the 3/4 new food mark, he started vomiting. Went back to Royal Canin and he was fine again. I am now trying Fromm puppy formula, and he likes that as well (I know its not grain free but its better quality that Royal Canin) I slowed down the process for adding in the new food, and I am at 3/4 new again and he started vomiting again. I want to try a better quality food, but he is doing fine on Royal Canin with no itching or paw licking. I feed 1 cup 2 times a day. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag until about 6 months of age then switch to FROMM 4 star grain free. The FROMM 4 star foods are an all stage food, so you can give him that. Try the Game Bird. Ours didn't like the Beef fritata either, but like the Game Bird.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
wonder if the transition is just too fast.... as David mentioned, the Game Bird Fromm is really good, my girl loved it, but I stick with Prok and Peas as that is what she does best on

OP
Guido

Guido

Sep 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido
Ok, I bought the puppy gold in the pink bag. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the responses!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.