Looking for a new food

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
OK I've had my Lily on Simply Nourish since she was 2 months old. I've been thinking about changing, because honestly, I hate to tell people that I am feeding her store brand dog food when it costs me as much as some of the much better brands. I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob, because I was also changing because the bag size is getting smaller and the price is getting bigger.

Then I come on here and see that it is only 3 stars. That bothers me because we were told it was some of the best stuff you could get for your dog. But it's a PetSmart brand, and guess who told me how good it was? A PetSmart employee. LOL

Anyway - so I am looking for a different brand, and I don't know which way to go. I don't mind paying extra for better dog food, but it seems that for the last several months, I've been paying extra for mediocre dog food. :(

What about some of the 4 star dog foods? I used to feed our dogs Blue Buffalo, but this was a while back, before we got our bulldogs. Are the regular Blue Buffalo brands good, at 4 stars? We've fed them Wilderness, too, and that has 6 stars.

Or is Blue Buffalo not all it's cracked up to be?

I'm open for suggestions!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bueller? Bueller?

:lol:

Nobody has any suggestions for me?

:rofl: I guess everyone took a day off

I always recommend Fromm or Natures Logic, Fromm seems to have the most success from EBN members but on occasion it doesn't do well. But it's a great one to try first since so many have success. Natures Logic is great too, a little less expensive.

Some other brands I see many on here have success with are Orijen, Acana, and Earthborn.

Blue has been a great food over the years but I fear that lately with all the advertising they are paying out that the dollars are not going into the food. However I do think it's a good choice with their basics line for bulldogs with allergy problems.

You can order any food from Petflow and it's free shipping on orders over $49. They also have awesome door busters so even if your order is less than $49 you can easily find something to add in to get you there.

Now I'm wondering, if your bully is doing okay on Simply Nourish, you may want to choose a food that has similar, but better, ingredients .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
She seems to be doing fine with it. Her farts are few and far between. Elvis was raised on a 1 star food and has a ton of health issues, where Lily has virtually none.

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
OK another question. Do you feel that, at 9 months, they should be on puppy food or dog food? I was told that, if they are eating a higher quality dog food, it doesn't matter if it's puppy food, because they are getting tons of nutrients anyway, which is the purpose of feeding them puppy food.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Most people switch from puppy food between 6 and 7 months while others will us and all stages food from the get go. Some have even kept their pups on puppy food for right at a year.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you put her on a premium food it's for all life stages, but a 9 months you can put her on adult food. :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Several people feed Blue, but I am hesitant with it as they are part of the company that has had a lot of recalls. Other members have had good results with Orijen, Acana, and Earthborn.

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
OK. Will try to find those mentioned here locally, but I am hesitant to pay a lot for dog food online, only for them to not like it. At least with Pet Smart, or Pet Supplies Plus, if the dog doesn't like the food, you can bring it back and try another brand or another flavor. But they tend to be limited to what kinds of food they carry. And I live in a small, small town so I am limited to what I can find here. :(

Maybe I could start out with a small bag and try that out first. How are PetFlow's shipping times?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK. Will try to find those mentioned here locally, but I am hesitant to pay a lot for dog food online, only for them to not like it. At least with Pet Smart, or Pet Supplies Plus, if the dog doesn't like the food, you can bring it back and try another brand or another flavor. But they tend to be limited to what kinds of food they carry. And I live in a small, small town so I am limited to what I can find here. :(

Maybe I could start out with a small bag and try that out first. How are PetFlow's shipping times?

I get my food really quick from Petflow, within just 2 days but I live in AZ which is close to their warehouse in NV

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Definetely go with a small bag first. We currently feed Natures Logic :)

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Couldn't find any of the brands listed at my local PetSmart, and it's the biggest, best pet food place near where I live. I'd love to try some of the other brands, but am so hesitant about buying brands that it will cost a fortune to ship back (if they even take them back) if the babies don't like them.

I'm back with Blue Buffalo for now. I've used it before, and it worked well.

Thanks, y'all!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Pet smart does carry wellness and that's a pretty good brand

sent from my droid mini

Michael Colosimo

Nov 16, 2015
:rofl: I guess everyone took a day off

I always recommend Fromm or Natures Logic, Fromm seems to have the most success from EBN members but on occasion it doesn't do well. But it's a great one to try first since so many have success. Natures Logic is great too, a little less expensive.

Some other brands I see many on here have success with are Orijen, Acana, and Earthborn.

Blue has been a great food over the years but I fear that lately with all the advertising they are paying out that the dollars are not going into the food. However I do think it's a good choice with their basics line for bulldogs with allergy problems.

You can order any food from Petflow and it's free shipping on orders over $49. They also have awesome door busters so even if your order is less than $49 you can easily find something to add in to get you there.

Now I'm wondering, if your bully is doing okay on Simply Nourish, you may want to choose a food that has similar, but better, ingredients .

Hi There! If you were going to switch to Nature's Logic product for a puppy who's breeder is using Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food which one would you suggest. Puppy will be 8 weeks old when I bring him home. Thanks in advance!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online