new puppy food/poop advise

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
Hello everyone new here just looking for any advise
we just got our first english bulldog puppy last weekend and ever since she got here she has had very soft poop/ diarrhea the breeder said she was giving her ims puppy and baby cereal? after looking up dog food reviews I wanted our puppy to have the best dog for for her not one with fillers, so ive been giving her royal canin puppy food for bulldogs ... I did read when changing dog foods your suppost to do it gradually, which i did not do :( and wondering after 6 days and still having diarrhea if i should go back to giving her what the breeder was giving her or just give her more time on this food since its better quality food?

and has anyone heard of giving pupys baby cereal?

any advice would be appreciated

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
same here, my dog came with a bag of food that the breeder just bought wholesale, I too wanted a good food so 2 weeks ago I bought royal canin junior for bulldog breed. I mixed it with her normal food and at first her poo was very soft, I am still now mixing with her old dog food and it's getting firmer and most times hard now, I'm going to increase the new food more and more gradually. Her poo is the same colour as the royal canin lol all the time. I would mix it in and increase more and more when it starts getting firmer, do it like that and give it time and like my dog it should improve. It's only took 2 weeks really. X

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard of giving them baby cereal ever

I would definitely go bland diet and if you haven't already taken her into see the vet I would do it, I would look at the food list on here and pick a better puppy food. Royal Canin is pretty bad stuff.

:welcome: to EBN!

OP
B

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
im taking her to vet sat morning just wanted to see what everyone else thought.... whats a good dog food for the englishbull dog puppys? I thought royal canin was a good dog food ? thats what I saw recomended in other bulldog forums... this is my first english bulldog so any advise is appreciated

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome4:Hi to Bullets Mom and Kate and welcome both of you and Bullet and Beau to EBN. Congratulations on your new babies. You both will love this site, there's lots of great information, and lots of really great people who are always willing to answer your questions and share their experience. I agree with dolphin's (Phil) advice of checking out the Dog Food Ratings on the Home page. Royal Canin is rated as a 2 or a 3 Star dogfood, and is not the best quality for your bully. It is also a chicken based dogfood and many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, and this can cause soft serve poops or diarrhea. My breeder was also feeding my guys Royal Canin, and sent me home with two buckets of this food. I knew from the ingredients that it wasn't a good quality food because of the fillers, corn and grains on the Ingredient list.
I switched my guys 4 times before I found Fromm's Beef Fritatta, which is rated as. 6 Star, and is grain free. I read of other members success with this brand. Other examples of 6 Star foods are Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Arcana, and Orijen.
When changing foods, a slow transition over 2 weeks is best to avoid diarrhea and tummy upsets. Start with 3/4 of the old food mixed with 1/4 of the new food, after a few days mix 1/2 of the old food with 1/2 of the new food for a few days, then mix 3/4 of the new food with 1/4 of the old food, then all new food.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's no reason to go back to her old food since it's been almost a week on the new one.

See what the vet says. They'll probably also give you something for her diarrhea. Other than that, I would do a bland diet of boiled hamburger and rice. Small meals throughout the day. See how she tolerates it.
Once her pooping is back to normal, you can do a slow switch to a better food.

I used Fromm puppy formula, the large breed one. But most here who use Fromm Puppy use the one in the Pink bag (regular puppy food).

OP
B

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
getting some really good advise , and thanks for the welcomes ...blueberrys mom should i give her any dog food with the rice and hamburger mix or just rice and hamburger meat and how long shold i give her this ? is this a one meal only thing or do this for a couple days?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just boiled hamburger with rice for a few days. once her pooping is back to normal, you can slowly start putting in a bit of kibble in with the hamburger/rice mixture. Give it at least a week before you fully switch her over to the kibble. Every day giving a little more of the kibble.

At her age, you get a lot of insight by looking at her poop..lol.. too loose, cut back on the food a bit, too hard, give a little more.

But for now, stick with something easy on her belly, hence the burger/rice combo.

OP
B

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
thank you so much for the info , bullet is currently at vet getting checked out just to be on the safe side :)
sa far as dog food the suggested brands listed above were Fromm's Beef Fritatta, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Arcana, and Orijen. are these the brands for her to eat once she out of puppy stage or do these brands have puppy food also?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=12887]bulletsparents[/MENTION] I moved your thread to the "English Bulldog Dog food and Nutrition" forum.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fromms grain free line is an all stages dog food so you can start giving to her right away if you decide to not go with their puppy brand. After you do the bland diet thing. I'm super happy you took her to the vets today. Good thinking.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't know why my brain automatically goes to puppy food when I hear puppy. But [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] brought up a good point, you can also do an all stages kibble, doesn't need to be a puppy formula.

OP
B

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
I was wondering about that, I know with my english mastiff we got her off puppy food fast wasnt sure if the bulldog needed the puppy food for the exra benifits the puppy food has or not

OP
B

bulletsparents

Sep 26, 2014
Country
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
bullet
bullet just got back from vet, came back healthy , no parasites , so looks like just a dog food issue :) going to do the rice and hamburger thing tonight untill her poops harden back up :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.