Food reactions or something else?

KarriK

Jul 27, 2014
League city, texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
When we got our baby girl Fiona, the breeder had her on ProPlan chicken puppy food. She seemed to be fine on it but our vet said we needed to get her onto adult food now that she is 7 months old. I have been reading up on foods and decided to try Fromms duck and sweet potato. She has only been on it for 6 days but I'm already noticing that she now has tear stains that she never had before, and the red bumps she started getting on her chin a few weeks back have gotten larger and she scratches more. Not sure if that is a food problem or something else....should I wait a little longer or make another change before she eats too much of this one and it's a big change again. I still have her puppy food and only just stopped giving her any of it as of yesterday. I'm not familiar yet with Bull Dogs and their allergies because this is our first one but I watched my Mom struggle with her Boston Terriers horrible allergies so I want to catch it before it gets worse! I keep hearing about Fromms which is why I went with it, but a local breeder here in Houston has been talking about how great Holistic Select is....So now I'm not sure what I should be doing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This little girl has just totally taken our hearts and we want the best for her!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It is possible that is is food allergies, but it could also be environmental. The bumps on the chin sound like chin acne from her chin staying moist after drinking or slobbering all over a toy. A lot of bullies cannot handle grains contained within a lot of the foods, and while Fromms Duck and Sweet Potato is a great food it is not grain free which could be causing the issues you are seeing. Holistic Select is another decent grain free brand that our breeder used with good results, but it is not something we have tried as my baby has some interesting food allergies and we are currently on a modified home cooked diet for her. All in all with what you describe I would consider switching to a grain free food and go from there.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I completely agree w/Todd… I would try a grain-free food. You can look up dog food ratings on this website…
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is possible that is is food allergies, but it could also be environmental. The bumps on the chin sound like chin acne from her chin staying moist after drinking or slobbering all over a toy. A lot of bullies cannot handle grains contained within a lot of the foods, and while Fromms Duck and Sweet Potato is a great food it is not grain free which could be causing the issues you are seeing. Holistic Select is another decent grain free brand that our breeder used with good results, but it is not something we have tried as my baby has some interesting food allergies and we are currently on a modified home cooked diet for her. All in all with what you describe I would consider switching to a grain free food and go from there.

I completely agree w/Todd… I would try a grain-free food. You can look up dog food ratings on this website…
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

great info from Todd and Tracey..... I also, think Duck/Sweet Potato is not grain free. If you want to stick with Fromm and duck protien... try Game Bird.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Actually, my Bf's bully is crazy allergic to Sweet Potatoes. It might just be that.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Could also be the duck- some bulldogs do not do well on any type of poultry. Usually duck isn't a culprit but if I were you I'd try the beef frittata, pork n peas or lamb and lentil- completely different but still grain free.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.