Thoughts on Vegan Dog Food?

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I did some research into it and if the animal nutritional it's are to be believed, a vegan diet can cause heart failure. It has something to do with the taurine protein that dogs can't get anywhere but from meat.

Update: So we got the V-dog package yesterday and Buttercup loves it! She could not stop sniffing the bag! She gobbled her old+new food mix and went back to the v-dog bag to ask for more. I gave her a little more of the mix and she repeated the same v-dog bag sniff & beg act. She never did this for the other foods we've tried.

I really REALLY hope she is not allergic to anything in this food as I strongly suspect she is reacting to her limited ingredient salmon-based food.

The bag does list taurine as an ingredient. I will ask the company how much it contains to see if we should consider additional supplementation.

I also wonder if anyone has any tips on how to best store food that does not come in a resealable bag. I think it will go stale before we are done but I've read that storing in plastic containers alters the food taste so that the dogs may decline the food.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Update: So we got the V-dog package yesterday and Buttercup loves it! She could not stop sniffing the bag! She gobbled her old+new food mix and went back to the v-dog bag to ask for more. I gave her a little more of the mix and she repeated the same v-dog bag sniff & beg act. She never did this for the other foods we've tried.

I really REALLY hope she is not allergic to anything in this food as I strongly suspect she is reacting to her limited ingredient salmon-based food.

The bag does list taurine as an ingredient. I will ask the company how much it contains to see if we should consider additional supplementation.

I also wonder if anyone has any tips on how to best store food that does not come in a resealable bag. I think it will go stale before we are done but I've read that storing in plastic containers alters the food taste so that the dogs may decline the food.

I have a bag on its way as well, can't wait to see if it does away with my dogs runny eyes and pink faces thats driving me crazy.
This is what i use for food storage, they have a rubber seal on the lid and works very well >
Vittles Vault™ Stackable Pet Food Container | Storage & Scoops | PetSmart

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I have a bag on its way as well, can't wait to see if it does away with my dogs runny eyes and pink faces thats driving me crazy.
This is what i use for food storage, they have a rubber seal on the lid and works very well >
Vittles Vault™ Stackable Pet Food Container | Storage & Scoops | PetSmart

Thanks for the tip! Buttercup's face gets pink after eating her salmon-based food so I'm eager to see how she does once she is fully transitioned to the new food. Hope V-dog works well for both our little ones (as I am at a loss as to what to try next barring allergy testing…).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.