Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Vegan Dog Food?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thoughts on Vegan Dog Food?

I did some research into it and if the animal nutritional it's are to be believed, a vegan diet can cause heart failure. It has something to do with the taurine protein that dogs can't get anywhere but from meat.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Major
    Likes (Received)

major is on vegetarian food and doing great.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Others have recommended V-dog to me so I asked our vet about it as I wondered if it would help Buttercup's allergies. Our vet was not familiar with the food but said the ingredients look fine and that it can't hurt to try it. She had an allergic reaction to something so right now she seems sensitized to everything, including her current food. We ordered some of the V-dog so will post an update to share our experience with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskyzx View Post
    major is on vegetarian food and doing great.
    Which brand/type do you use?
    Last edited by minibull; 10-20-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: update

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by agentbunny View Post
    I did some research into it and if the animal nutritional it's are to be believed, a vegan diet can cause heart failure. It has something to do with the taurine protein that dogs can't get anywhere but from meat.
    Update: So we got the V-dog package yesterday and Buttercup loves it! She could not stop sniffing the bag! She gobbled her old+new food mix and went back to the v-dog bag to ask for more. I gave her a little more of the mix and she repeated the same v-dog bag sniff & beg act. She never did this for the other foods we've tried.

I really REALLY hope she is not allergic to anything in this food as I strongly suspect she is reacting to her limited ingredient salmon-based food.

The bag does list taurine as an ingredient. I will ask the company how much it contains to see if we should consider additional supplementation.

I also wonder if anyone has any tips on how to best store food that does not come in a resealable bag. I think it will go stale before we are done but I've read that storing in plastic containers alters the food taste so that the dogs may decline the food.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Doug
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dozer and Koda
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    Update: So we got the V-dog package yesterday and Buttercup loves it! She could not stop sniffing the bag! She gobbled her old+new food mix and went back to the v-dog bag to ask for more. I gave her a little more of the mix and she repeated the same v-dog bag sniff & beg act. She never did this for the other foods we've tried.

I really REALLY hope she is not allergic to anything in this food as I strongly suspect she is reacting to her limited ingredient salmon-based food.

The bag does list taurine as an ingredient. I will ask the company how much it contains to see if we should consider additional supplementation.

I also wonder if anyone has any tips on how to best store food that does not come in a resealable bag. I think it will go stale before we are done but I've read that storing in plastic containers alters the food taste so that the dogs may decline the food.
    I have a bag on its way as well, can't wait to see if it does away with my dogs runny eyes and pink faces thats driving me crazy.
    This is what i use for food storage, they have a rubber seal on the lid and works very well >
    Vittles Vault™ Stackable Pet Food Container | Storage & Scoops | PetSmart

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella and Dozers Dad View Post
    I have a bag on its way as well, can't wait to see if it does away with my dogs runny eyes and pink faces thats driving me crazy.
    This is what i use for food storage, they have a rubber seal on the lid and works very well >
    Vittles Vault™ Stackable Pet Food Container | Storage & Scoops | PetSmart
    Thanks for the tip! Buttercup's face gets pink after eating her salmon-based food so I'm eager to see how she does once she is fully transitioned to the new food. Hope V-dog works well for both our little ones (as I am at a loss as to what to try next barring allergy testing…).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads