teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
All,

Would need your advice on food. Am considering Acana for my upcoming bulldog. However, am confused as there are two type of acana for puppy, ie large breed vs small breed.

I have asked acana which type is recommended for bulldog and been referred to large breed. Their explanation is any breed with mature weight if over 50 pounds will be best to use large breed puppy food.

I wonder if any of you ever use acana puppy?

Is there significant difference between large breed and small breed puppy food?

And lastly, what is the weight of your adult bulldog. Is it above or less than 50 pounds?

I am worried if it will affect their growth if i have mistakenly giving them the type of food..... The breeder was on RC - and am worried of the brand after reading much info here........

Thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@teddokun I've never used this formula but just checked out their Regional line. It seems to be a good food. Grain-free, with a high % of animal protein.

Between the large and small breed, I would do the large. Chances are your bullie will be above 50lbs.
When Blue was a pup, I had him on Fromm puppy, then switched to their large breed puppy formula. Reason being, they told me the large breed had additional supplements to support joint health.
If I were you, I'd contact Acana and ask them what the difference between the two are, and why the large breed puppy formula is better.

My adult bullie is now at 61.2lbs. I want him back down to 58. But weight varies with this breed. According to AKC they should be somewhere between 48-57 lbs depending on male or female. The reality is, many are usually larger.

I agree about the RC and would do a slow transition to the Acana when you get him/her.

Good luck.

oh- I moved your thread to the "Bulldog Food and Nutrition" forum. It should get more views/responses here.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think you are in good shape going with the large breed puppy as Ellie mentioned, it usually has to do with the extra nutrients/supplements, but call them to confirm.

Our girl is about to turn 9 yrs old and weights 62 lbs. She has always been a big bully.. her lowest adult weight was 58 lbs and at one point she was 70. Our vet wants her to stay around 60lbs, which is a struggle at times.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Thank you for the advice....... Will do the recommended.....

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I've never used Acana but have used their sister brand Orijen. I would definately go with the large breed version.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Team,

For your info only (as i have received feedback from acana):

1. The difference in small breed vs large breed is in fat and calorie content. Large breed has less fat and calorie content to maintain weight and steady growth

2. They recommended large simply of their view that most bulldogs will fall between 25-30kgs

Hope this helps other people who intend to use acana as well

Rgrds

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7173]tyree213[/MENTION]
Thanks. How do you prepare raw? I have done readings but still dont get the full mechanic of raw. How do you prepare your food? Do you grind the meat, or do you give it in chunks? I read about giving bone, what does it mean?
Thanks

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=11867]teddokun[/MENTION] is your username Japanese?:). I have used Acana all-stage grainfree for my boy. It was good but Bifi suffered extreme dark tear stains so i quit. But every dog is different. I would go for all stage grainfree kibble no matter what brand to avoid rapid growth of the pup which is not good for the bones.

Raw, you can go BARF which is ground meat with veggies or do Prey Model Raw - feeding big chunks of meat - big chunks like bigger than their head chunks. If you would like to read more i can give you websites to learn more about it.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION]
thank you for the note. Would really love to understand raw feeding. Highly appreciate any guidance here. I am just concerned as to how to prepare a raw food for my pup.
Thank you so much for the help.
Cheers
ps. name is japanese linked but i have no japanese history. =)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.