Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Are nuts safe to feed your bullies? or is this another major allergen contributor? My thinking is they have beneficial oils for your dog.

Your input as always is fully appreciated.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Only nuts I heard to not give are macadamias but everything else is free game. Buster LOVES all nuts too! Especially his dad LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi JVC, I had heard that nuts weren't a good idea for dogs, as the can cause stomach upsets, and in some cases stomach obstructions. I looked it up and this is what I found.
It is okay to give dogs peanut butter as a treat, but not too much, as it is high in sugar and fat.

Nuts Dangers to Dogs
Toxic Poisoning and Upset Stomach a Common Symptom

Dog owners, beware of rewarding your four-legged companion with a variety of salty treats in the form of nuts.

Nuts are one more "DO NOT EAT" item to add to Fido's list of toxic or harmful substances. Certain types of nuts can cause toxic poisonings, an upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog's gastrointestinal tract which can lead to life-saving surgery and unexpected veterinary expenses.

According to VPI Pet Insurance, walnut poisoning is one of the most common claims for toxic ingestion. The average cost to treat walnut poisoning is $356. The average cost to treat an upset stomach, according to VPI’s claims data, is $214.69.

Keep your pet safe and make sure the nuts listed below are out of your dog's reach.

Almonds

Dogs love the taste of almonds, particularly the flavored variety (jalapeno, barbecued, smoked, vanilla, cinnamon, etc.).

While not toxic, almonds are not easily digested can give your dog an upset stomach and create gastric intestinal distress.

Black Walnuts

Black walnuts contains a toxin called juglone which can cause a vascular disease in horses known as laminitis, but doesn't appear to cause problems in dogs. Eating black walnuts can cause gastric intestinal upset or an obstruction.

In addition, moldy black walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

English Walnuts

English walnuts can cause gastric intestinal upset (tummy ache) or even an obstruction in your dog's body. Like black and Japanese walnuts, moldy English walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins (toxic chemical products produced by fungi) which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

Hickory Nuts

Hickory nuts also contain the toxin juglone that can cause laminitis in horses. Eating hickory nuts can cause the same problems associated with black walnuts: gastric intestinal upset or an intestinal obstruction. Like walnuts, moldy hickory nuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

Japanese Walnuts

Japanese walnuts contain no toxicity; however, they can cause gastric intestinal upset or even an obstruction.

Like English walnuts, moldy Japanese walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are very rich in fat which can give your dog a major upset stomach and may cause pancreatitis.

In addition, these nuts are reported to contain an unknown toxic principle that may result in neurological symptoms.

Pecans

Pecans also contain the toxin juglone that can cause laminitis in horses. Feeding dogs pecans can cause gastric intestinal upset or an obstruction.

Like walnuts, moldy pecans can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

Pistachio Nuts

Pistachios are also rich in fat and can cause your dog to develop an upset stomach. In addition, repetitive eating of pistachios can cause pancreatitis in your dog.

If you are concerned about any dangerous or toxic substances your dog may have consumed, please contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline.*

Email this article to a friend or share it via your favorite social network.

OP
harveyspecter

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
thank you, good reading. whew i gave harvey two pieces of small of walnuts this morning. No upsets yet.

phil/dolphin should take note as well.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Moderation is the key when it comes to most things, nuts included! Though technically a legume, I stick with peanut butter for my boys but on occasion they will get a lick of some almond butter (but that's mostly my stash) :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue eats the occasional nut. Not a biggie. Since most nuts aren't bigger than the size of kibble, and dogs can digest them, the obstruction warning is null to me.
But yeah, like [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] said- everything in moderation. Don't overdo any type of nut.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give the pups an occasional peanut... just not a lot

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.