Help with food please......

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Miami(17 weeks), started on Orijen Adult and had really runny stool, so we decreased the amount we were giving her and that didn't help. So we wanted to see if it was the chicken, so we went to Orijen red. Well her stool wasn't as bad and did firm up, but we noticed that her face was starting to get red. Runny nose, watery eyes, and really red chin. We tried that for about a month and then decided to switch her to Acana singles 50/50/0 Lamb trying to go to a food with limited ingredients. Well she has been on this food for about 2 weeks and her chin is really red and broke out, eyes are running really bad(wiping them all day), nose is running, and tonight her stool is loose again. She uses stainless steel bowls, and I hand feed her at least one meal a day and her face gets red then too, oh and Bottle water. I have gave her 1/2 of a Benadryl and that doesn't seem to help. No redness or breakout anywhere else. I sat down and looked at all the ingredients, how do I know which one of the ingredients is the cause of this? This is all the ingredients that they share. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to give you all the info I could.

Orijen Adult(Runs) vs Acana Singles Lamb(Rash)

Orijen Adult

· red lentils, green peas, green lentils, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, Red Delicious apples, kelp, peppermint leaf, Enterococcus faecium.

Acana Singles Lamb

. green lentils, red lentils, apples, green peas, yellow peas, garbanzo beans aka chickpea, pumpkin*, carrots, kelp*, peppermint leaf, Enterococcus faecium

Orijen Adult(Runs) vs Orijen Red(Rash)

Orijen Adult

· herring, whole eggs, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams, pea fiber, chickpeas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, Red Delicious apples, Bartlett pears, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium.

Orijen Red

· herring, whole egg, red lentils, chickpeas, green peas, green lentils, pea fibre, yams, sun-cured alfalfa, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, Red Delicious apples, Bartlett pears, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium.

Orijen Red(Rash) vs Acana Singles Lamb(Rash)

Orijen Red

· lamb, green peas, yellow peas, pumpkin, carrots, Bartlett pears, kelp, peppermint leaf, Enterococcus faecium.

Acana Lamb

· apples, lamb, green peas, yellow peas, pumpkin, carrots, kelp, peppermint leaf dried Enterococcus faecium.
4f65b3432ba1608416bd99cda2a716f5.jpg
67f038b54141c55971b69a9127470603.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Miami927

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
I woke her up for the pics, she wasn't happy lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is the big million dollar question.... Which ingredient is not doing her well?

She is fairly young and going through many changes, but it's quite obvious something in these foods is not agreeing with her. My guess is the peas, because we do see bulldogs with pea allergy here on the forum.

Hope you find a food that agrees with her very soon. Make sure you are using stainless bowls and wash after each feeding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tanya, looking at the ingredients, I don't see any that raise a red flag for me, most bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, corn, grains and other fillers in the food. I don't see any of those Ingredients in the foods you have listed. Are these symptoms of rash, soft stools, runny nose and eyes new symptoms? Allergies don't always come from foods, they can also be caused from environmental factors inside or outside of the house. They can get runny eyes and noses, or itchiness from outside allergies like trees, grass, pollen, bug bites, ragweed, and even pollution. Things that they can be allergic to inside the house are laundry soaps, shampoos, household cleaners, or air freshness. Have you used any new household cleaning products, or new soaps or shampoos? Adding 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt to the kibble, and 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the drinking water are great supplements that help with allergy symptoms. Yogurt has Probiotics and aids in digestion, and also boosts the immune system. ACV has many health benefits, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. I hope you find the source of Miami's allergies, and she gets relief soon.

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi Miami, am no expert, but wonder why dont you give her puppy food either orijen or acana? I just wonder if it makes a difference......

OP
Miami927

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Hi Miami, am no expert, but wonder why dont you give her puppy food either orijen or acana? I just wonder if it makes a difference......

The Orijen Adult is what her breeder had her on. She told me to use the adult food. I never really questioned it because when reading about the food online it said if feeding a puppy give this amount. This is my first bully and I just trusted the breeders choice. I figured that she had a good reason for it. I figured that it had to do with regulating growth. So I just stuck with the adult.

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
What about fromm pork and peas? I can take a photo of the list of ingredients on the bag if you'd like. Mush has problems with everything....this food has changed her life and mine as well.

OP
Miami927

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
What about fromm pork and peas? I can take a photo of the list of ingredients on the bag if you'd like. Mush has problems with everything....this food has changed her life and mine as well.

Thank you for your reply and being willing to take a picture of the ingredients for me. I love EBN everyone is so nice here......I'm thinking I need to try something without the peas, being that they are in the 3 foods I have already tried.

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Thank you for your reply and being willing to take a picture of the ingredients for me. I love EBN everyone is so nice here......I'm thinking I need to try something without the peas, being that they are in the 3 foods I have already tried.

I had actually thought to myself what about mush's food and then quickly had a second thought that it might be good to avoid peas for the time being.

Hold on. I'm going to do a little research for ya and see what I come up with.

OP
Miami927

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Hi Tanya, looking at the ingredients, I don't see any that raise a red flag for me, most bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, corn, grains and other fillers in the food. I don't see any of those Ingredients in the foods you have listed. Are these symptoms of rash, soft stools, runny nose and eyes new symptoms? Allergies don't always come from foods, they can also be caused from environmental factors inside or outside of the house. They can get runny eyes and noses, or itchiness from outside allergies like trees, grass, pollen, bug bites, ragweed, and even pollution. Things that they can be allergic to inside the house are laundry soaps, shampoos, household cleaners, or air freshness. Have you used any new household cleaning products, or new soaps or shampoos? Adding 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt to the kibble, and 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the drinking water are great supplements that help with allergy symptoms. Yogurt has Probiotics and aids in digestion, and also boosts the immune system. ACV has many health benefits, it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. I hope you find the source of Miami's allergies, and she gets relief soon.

Thank you for taking your time to help me. The loose stools is how it started thats why I switched the first time, the watery eyes, runny nose, and red broke out chin started with the second food. The main reason i was thinking it was her food was because all of these symptoms start right after she eats, even when i feed her by hand during training times. When she wakes up her nose and eyes are not running and chin is not bright red. I was feeding her yogurt everyday with her breakfest but i stopped to see if that was the cause of it. I plan on trying the yogurt again soon. I'm going to start with the acv in her water tomorrow. Is there a way you can figure out if its the food or just allergies? Im so lost as to what to do..... I feel bad that her little chin is so red and I'm afraid to really let her chew to much on her toys because i don't want her to break those bumps open and make open sores:(

MushiesMom

Jun 8, 2013
Country
United States of Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Fuggles McMush (Mushie)
Okay... So i'm not sure if you have heard of this site but its called dogaware.com. Another EBN member showed me the site when I was searching for a food for mush because of her allergies, as well. There's sooooo much information on everything - including foods, best foods for specific health problems and also on the raw food diet.

The only way you can control what exactly is being put in your dogs food is to create it yourself...maybe not forever but temporarily as you try to figure out what Miami's allergic reaction and upset stomach is being triggered by. I'd go through all the ingredients in the different foods you tried and make a list of all the ingredients found in every single one. Start without any of those ingredients and see if your pup's health improves. If it doesn't, maybe another vet visit or second opinion from a more "holistic" vet. If it does, GREAT and from there you have two new options...continue with the raw food diet just the way it is OR slowly start to incorporate one ingredient at a time. If a flare up happens, I'd say its safe to just stay clear of that ingredient for the rest of Miami's life. Once you've finished ruling out all the triggers, if the raw food diet doesn't fit your lifestyle, then try to find a food with out the ingredients that caused reactions.

That's my $0.02 and how I'd move forward if it was my baby and I was in your shoes.

OP
Miami927

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Okay... So i'm not sure if you have heard of this site but its called dogaware.com. Another EBN member showed me the site when I was searching for a food for mush because of her allergies, as well. There's sooooo much information on everything - including foods, best foods for specific health problems and also on the raw food diet.

The only way you can control what exactly is being put in your dogs food is to create it yourself...maybe not forever but temporarily as you try to figure out what Miami's allergic reaction and upset stomach is being triggered by. I'd go through all the ingredients in the different foods you tried and make a list of all the ingredients found in every single one. Start without any of those ingredients and see if your pup's health improves. If it doesn't, maybe another vet visit or second opinion from a more "holistic" vet. If it does, GREAT and from there you have two new options...continue with the raw food diet just the way it is OR slowly start to incorporate one ingredient at a time. If a flare up happens, I'd say its safe to just stay clear of that ingredient for the rest of Miami's life. Once you've finished ruling out all the triggers, if the raw food diet doesn't fit your lifestyle, then try to find a food with out the ingredients that caused reactions.

That's my $0.02 and how I'd move forward if it was my baby and I was in your shoes.

On my post when I was explaining all of it, the ingredients that I wrote on the list are only the ingredients that they share. So I have some what of an ideal of what it might be, still a pretty long list of ingredients. I was thinking about trying raw next. Miami is my first bully and I'm so thankful for your $.02 LOL Im going to check out that site. Thank you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.