Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
010d5b7324d8f8c4c3be5157bc35ff36.jpg

As we are transitioning Harlea to pretty much he cooked meals i have started to collect different animal proteins to use along the way. Kangaroo was on our list to try and I pleasantly surprised to find it at a grocery store close to the house. So i picked some up to go along with the elk, venison and wild boar we picked up as well.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wow, you actually found ground kangaroo meat in a grocery store? I don't think I've ever seen kangaroo, elk or wild boar at a local grocery store before. I didn't even know that people actually ate wild boar or kangaroo meat. Are you feeding Harlea raw or cooked meals?

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yeah we found it at Sprouts. We also have a bunch of meat markets where we can get just about anything that can be eaten. I have an order in with one of my buddies for some Caribou and Moose once the season opens up.

We are moving Harlea from Fromms to pretty much a modified home cooked diet. We are using The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix and are using only vegettable proteins right now to detox her system and then in a month we will begin the animal protein trials which we will cook. Worse come to worse and she doesn't do well with a protein it will beore for me as we love exotic meats.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You actually found that at a grocery store.... interesting

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tell me how Harlea does with that kangaroo meat. Btw, are you going to try it out as well [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]? I'm curious b/c there's a grocery store nearby that carries this as well and i'm thinking of getting it...not cheap tho!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Tell me how Harlea does with that kangaroo meat. Btw, are you going to try it out as well [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]? I'm curious b/c there's a grocery store nearby that carries this as well and i'm thinking of getting it...not cheap tho!
I will for sure. If she doesn't like it or tolerate it i will eat it. Lol

It was a bit pricey but not too bad. It was on sale for $7.99 a pound. If we stick with it i will find a place to buy it in bulk to get it cheaper like the connection i have to get Kobe beef for $4.00 a pound a few times a year.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I will for sure. If she doesn't like it or tolerate it i will eat it. Lol

It was a bit pricey but not too bad. It was on sale for $7.99 a pound. If we stick with it i will find a place to buy it in bulk to get it cheaper like the connection i have to get Kobe beef for $4.00 a pound a few times a year.

hey, that's a good price! The last time i checked, a pound of kangaroo meat was $14 bucks here. We have a Sprouts too so maybe i will need to check if they carry any.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The one by us keeps it in the freezer case across from the meat counter.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wow… I had no idea they even sold kangaroo meat. You KNOW that will probably be her fav… Lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I will have to look for that at our Sprouts too!

How is Harlea? Is the food change still going good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow I will have to look for that at our Sprouts too!

How is Harlea? Is the food change still going good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The food change is going fantastic. We had one minor set back unrelated to the change as Harlea got in to the cat food and broke out a bit but other than that she looks great. She went to the vet yesterday for her annual checkup and the vet was very pleased with the progress in such a short time. This morning was her first full meal with no kibble so we are fully on our way. Now her meals consist of 1/2 cup of Honest Kitchen mix and 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans with a bit of yogurt. In a month we will begin trying animal proteins again. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.