What is the best food for a pup?

jonny392

Aug 19, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
So I am getting my pup next weekend, it will be 8 weeks old. I would like to feed it the best possible food I can, I would rather pay more for top quality food. What would be the best food to feed it? Is Fromm one of the best on the market? What supplements should I be including along with it? I had also thought about including tripe into her diet. What way should this be fed with dry food and is it a good idea?

Thanks,
Jonny

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
Tripe makes Leon fart a lot so we avoid it....orijen is a top quality food but Leon as problems with chicken so we switched over to taste of the wild pacific stream since he's been on this he's doing very good.
So my advice is don't look past taste of the wild because it's slightly cheaper Leon loves it and is doing great on it.
72cc345865a1ea3fedb8735e9992bd10.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We only feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag. For the first several weeks I would add a little water to it and let it soak about 5 to 10 minutes to soften up a bit, but not too soft. Then slowly make it harder so they will chew some, even though they usually swallow it whole. We don't supplement them with anything until they get a little older, like over 25 pounds, then we will give them a HardyPet everyday. I'm not sure about the tripe, I think I would wait on that until they get older.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed Fromm puppy, (pink bag) and change them to Fromm four star line at 6 months. I also give nuvet and nujoint plus daily. I don't recommend adding any oils or yogurt until their poop is very regular, and try adding one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
We had our little guy on blue wilderness but we are thinking he has an issue with chicken as his stool has been soft so we are transitioning him to blue buffalo basics. The reviews on the basic has been really good so I am hoping it works for him.

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all, same here like Jonny392. Am searching for food to prepare for my pup. He will come at 3 mths old. I dont have access to Fromm where i lived. Has anyone tried Acana? Or the Royal Canine English Bulldog Junior puppy food? Any thought? Will check if we have orijen.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all, same here like Jonny392. Am searching for food to prepare for my pup. He will come at 3 mths old. I dont have access to Fromm where i lived. Has anyone tried Acana? Or the Royal Canine English Bulldog Junior puppy food? Any thought? Will check if we have orijen.

Acana is good, but RC is not. Orijen is really good too.

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullmama,

my breeder has been feeding the pup by RC. I don't have RC available in my country.

1. Is it ok, for me to change the food once the pups reach my place? problem is, i don't have access to RC - which now i am trying to import. Unless if the expert thinks that it is ok to change the food directly, then i am ok.

2. Is there are recommendation which type of Acana is good for puppy - and which type of Orijen is good for puppy?

Thank you all.

Regards

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Orijen puppy is very good- has a variety of proteins, and is mostly meat. However, it may have too much protein for a young pup. I have not tried it first hand but looking at the ingredients it looks great.

The Acana puppy is inferior to the orijen, but not as high in protein.

The protein debate is one that you get a lot of conflicting information on regarding our breed. I have no opinion on it since there is obviously not yet a right or wrong answer as to what percentage of protein is too high or too low for our breed, which is why Iike to stick in the middle (around 30%).
I think I would try the Acana puppy/junior first. If I had a different breed of dog I would surely choose the Orijen.

Both make premium foods too, not just puppy formula. Both are excellent from looking at ingredients. At around 5-6 months you can change to one if their premium foods, although they may be all life stages too, meaning they are good for puppies as well but I cannot be sure on that.

Yes you can switch but make sure the breeder at least provides enough food for you to do a slow switch by mixing the foods together for about a week.

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullymama,

thank you! will check on both orijen and Acana. Hope i can find these in town.

btw - sounds silly but i would confirm that our beloved shall be consider puppy large breed (rather than puppy small breed) - right? simply i don't want to purchase the wrong acana product for my beloved. =)

Thank you!!

Regards

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online