coconut oil

violetrose

Sep 2, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Logan
So I've been trying to figure out Logan's itchiness. I'd posted back in June about his weird red spots he had developed all over his tummy and legs -- like hives -- and for a while it seemed he was getting a new spot or 3 a day. Due to itching until raw he got infected and ended up doing 2 separate courses of antibiotics, first cephalexin and then cipro. Also tried prednisone which was terrible for him. Anyway, while finishing the cipro I switched him to home-cooked ground beef and rice diet. His spots cleared up and after another week on the ground beef & rice I started switching him back to kibble. He was on Blue Buffalo Basics turkey and potato from age 3 months and I attempted to transition him back to the adult formula of it. No new spots/hives, but he just seemed more itchy than usual. He does like to be scratched a lot, particularly on his rump. I also took him back to day care. Day care seems to be good for his spirit but not good for his skin. He always comes home pretty dirty and I give him a good wash (medicated shampoo). Next morning pretty invariably he is rashy and his eyes are more goopy (thick mucus). Usually clears up with benedryl for a day. Now this time though he's stayed itchy to the point where he's chewing on his legs some and is getting scabby down his back/hips. So I went back to analyzing his diet and I then tried Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon, took a week to transition, then another couple weeks on the food. Still itchy and now more scabby. So I transitioned him to Core Wellness Ocean which he finds yummy and threw out all his treats of various types and picked up ones that have no chicken meal and are whitefish & potato, or apple & yogurt based (blue health bars & wellness wellbars). He's still pretty itchy and scabby. So not going back to daycare until I can figure this out and perhaps not at all (although he will miss his friends).

So I'm contemplating another food switch. Maybe to a Fromms. He seemed to do well on the cooked ground beef and rice so maybe the Beef Frittata. While I'm winding down the Core Ocean, however, I was wondering if maybe I should add some coconut oil to see if that helps. So, my question, and reason for this post is to ask, what brands coconut oils do y'all use? And where can I get it from? I searched amazon and there seems to be a lot of types and forms and varied reviews.

Updated photos of Logan (in his 57lb glory, note being muddy is his favorite activity.)
2014-08-24_22-14-52_14.jpg2014-07-11_18-17-57_689.jpg

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We are in uk - we buy any pure coconut oil ;-)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I recently purchased coconut oil from my Organic Market near where I live (Nutiva). [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] provided me with some good information on the benefits of coconut oil. My Jewel and Bentley are in a slow transition to it as I placed a little as opposed to a Tbs in their kibble this morning. Needless-to-say, neither one ate this morning but knowing Jewel, she will be hungry this afternoon. Bentley will graze as usual.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol. That's unusual, they usually go for the coconut oil like crazy, or any food their given, lol. My guys will inhale anything put in front of them. I know it can be difficult to get them to eat or drink something with the ACV in it because of the smell, or the sour taste of vinegar. Some will stick their nose up at it, and not drink their water. My guys have had ACV in their water since they were puppies, so they don't know anything else and are used to it. Coconut oil is usually not a problem as its a fat, and fat usually enhances the flavour of foods and they usually go for it. Having said that, every dog is different just like kids, they can be finicky or picky, and one can like something, and another not like it. When you added the coconut oil, did you place it on top right off the spoon, or did you mix it in? You don't have to mix it in, but maybe you could try that to see if they eat it? Maybe it's just new to them, and they will get used to it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I get the liquid tub from Costco, it's pure unrefined. It is not a solid.

Your bully was on a lot of antibiotics which will help clear up skin issues but it also kills the good digestive bacteria and promotes yeast growth. Yeast on the skin is very itchy. Fromm may work great for you since it has probiotics which will help replenish the good digestive bacteria.

What kind of medicated shampoo are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I use the coconut oil from trader joes. It is $5.99 for 16 oz. it comes in a glass jar so it is easy to see if it has spoiled ( yellow ).
From my research, the dosage is 1 tsp per 10 pounds of dog daily
3e480a242ccab3d6d0337b76dc464966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
violetrose

violetrose

Sep 2, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Logan
Initially his vet put him on ketoseb shampoo + PS. Washed daily with that till he cleared up. Now I'm using gnc pets antibacterial antifungal (same ingredients, smaller dosage). Using that weekly.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Lol. That's unusual, they usually go for the coconut oil like crazy, or any food their given, lol. My guys will inhale anything put in front of them. I know it can be difficult to get them to eat or drink something with the ACV in it because of the smell, or the sour taste of vinegar. Some will stick their nose up at it, and not drink their water. My guys have had ACV in their water since they were puppies, so they don't know anything else and are used to it. Coconut oil is usually not a problem as its a fat, and fat usually enhances the flavour of foods and they usually go for it. Having said that, every dog is different just like kids, they can be finicky or picky, and one can like something, and another not like it. When you added the coconut oil, did you place it on top right off the spoon, or did you mix it in? You don't have to mix it in, but maybe you could try that to see if they eat it? Maybe it's just new to them, and they will get used to it.

I mixed it in their food. My wife said Bentley would have nothing to do with the food with coconut oil. Jewel ate her food. So for Bentley, I dipped his evening treat in the coconut oil and he ate it. Maybe over time he will get use to it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs

by Dogs Naturally Magazine in Nutrition And Diet

Although supplements can be a confusing topic for many pet owners, most dog owners have heard of the benefits of feeding fish oils. There are however, a variety of oils that you can also use to your dog’s benefit, each with different actions and benefits.

Coconut oil consists of more than 90% saturated fats, with traces of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most of the saturated fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). The main component (more than 40%) of MCTs is lauric acid, followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic. Coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and about 6% oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acids).

Most of the coconut oil benefits come from the MCTs. For example, the lauric acid in coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their anti-fungal effects.

In addition, MCTs are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss. In dogs, the MCTs in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic.

According to Dr. Bruce Fife, certified nutritionist and naturopathic doctor, coconut oil gently elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects you from illness, and speeds healing. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dog’s skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.

Fed regularly to pets, coconut oil may have multiple benefits:

Skin Conditions

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
Digestion

Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health

Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
Helps prevent or control diabetes
Helps reduce weight, increases energy
Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
Integrative Veterinarian and Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Karen Becker, says “Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) have been shown to improve brain energy metabolism and decrease the amyloid protein buildup that results in brain lesions in older dogs. Coconut oil is a rich source of MCTs. I recommend 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily for basic MCT support.”

Why not give coconut oil a try and introduce it to your dog? It offers many benefits for your dog and is a more sustainable and less toxic source of oils than fish.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.