Switching to Fromms for Allergies

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Maizy has had some allergy issues ever since I switched from puppy Science Diet to adult Science Diet. Itchy spots around her neck she keeps itching until it's then bald spots, and big tear stains. I was thinking maybe it's the chicken or grain. I switched to filtered water and stainless steel bowls, and had no luck so I think it's the Science Diet.:(
Today I bought Fromms Beef Frittata, but also had a hard time choosing between that, Go! Dog food (lamb or duck), or the Canidae brand. The owner leaned me towards Go! Brand, but I ended up going with Fromms. I'll try that if Fromms doesn't work. Hopefully that's a good choice. Has anyone used Go! brand? Has anyone switched from Science Diet to Fromms like me due to allergies and had success?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Go is a good food, and so is FROMM, we use FROMM and at the moment feed Pork and Peas, We did not have good results with Beef Frittata. One itched on it and one just didn't like the taste. The good thing about FROMM is, if you baby doesn't like a flavor or doesn't do well on it, you can take it back for a full refund or trade it out for a different flavor FROMM. Usually as long as you stay with grain free you are good. Don't' forget to do a slow transition with the food change so their tummy won't get upset.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jen, David gave you good advice. We also have allergy issues with our two guys. Blossom has always had allergies since the day we got her, she is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, my male Bulldozer never showed any signs of allergies, until recently. He has started to lick his paws and smell yeasty from his ears. When I bought them from the breeder, they were being fed Royal Canin, I switched them right away due to not liking the ingredients list, it had too many fillers, corn and by products. I started to research other dog foods and dog nutrition, which is how I found the EBN site. When I read the Dog Food Ratings, I saw the Go food was listed as a 4 Star food, and I knew this food was a good choice. I had fed Go to my Jack Russell and she did really well on it. I switched my guys to Go, but it is chicken based, and that's how I realized that Blossom didn't tolerate chicken, she had bad reactions, soft serve poops, red chin with rash, warm pink ears, itchy paws and excessive licking, and the Go was too rich for Dozer, he had really runny poops. That's when I switched them to the Fromm's Beef Frittata, they were fed this flavour for the last 2 years and 3 months, and were doing really well, but then Dozer started having itchy paws and was licking them excessively, until his paws changed colour and they were always soggy wet, his eyes were getting goopy, and he was shedding like crazy. I switched the Fromm's Beef to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil a month ago, and they are both going well on this flavour so far. Make sure you do a slow transition when changing food brands to avoid tummy upsets and diarrhea.

If you are having allergy issues, there are supplements you can add to the food to help boost the immune system, which helps to fight infections and allergy symptoms. I add 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt to their morning kibble for the Probiotics, it's good for digestion and immune health, I also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to either the drinking water or to the kibble. There are many health benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. I also add 1 Tbsp of Coconut oil for the Omega Oils, which is good for the coat and skin.

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Thanks! I will have Go! Food as my other option if this beef frittata doesn't turn out well, or will try the pork and peas. I'm kind of thinking she suddenly was allergic to chicken or grain. I am trying to go gradual this week on the switch! I have read positive things about coconut oil and I'm trying that also for her coat once I figure out these allergies, hopefully! I'm trying food first, seeing if I can find something she's tolerating better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.