Need some dog food tips

Rachelle

May 12, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
Hello all! I haven't been on here in a very long time! Well, I was feeding Kirby (1 1/2 years old) TOTW Sierra Mountain (lamb). He's had ear infection problems and recently had to have his ears completely flushed. His ears had yeast, and he also has yeast issues with his paws. He has a nice shiny coat, but he does shed an awful lot. So, here I am and I feel like I need to try some different food. I've already tried multiple kinds with Kirby, so now I'm intermixing Nature's Variety Instinct (raw grain free), I stay away from chicken, and I'm also trying to stay away from extras like potatoes or any rice. I believe this food had a 30% protein level, and if I remember correctly, I need to be careful of how high in protein his food is. So I was trying to find something I could mix with this one, while still staying away from the chicken and other extras, any ideas??? I've been looking at the foods like Fromm, Orijen, Earthborn Holistic, Wellness Core, everything I look at either has an ingredient I don't like or is still high in protein. Any ideas or if anyone thinks I'm off on the protein issue...thank you! I will include a recent pic too for your viewing pleasure :tongue:

Kirby3.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try Fromms Pork & Peas it seems to fit exactly what you're looking for :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agreed with above, it may have nothing to do with potatoes/carbs so much that is causing the yeast problems, you could also try pharmaseb shampoo for washing and add a supplement to the diet, like Nuvet or Hardypet, as well as probiotics. One of the benefits of Fromm is there is probiotics in the food and it digests well, which is why so many bulldogs do so well on it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Rachelle, I also battle allergies with my two guys. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and my male who has never had any allergies before has recently started getting hives sometimes, and has been licking his paws, and recently had some signs of what I think is yeast in his ears, it smells a little sour. I had been feeding them Fromm's Beef Frittata for about 2 years and 3 months, but switched about a month ago to the Fromm's Lamb and Lentil. They both seem to be tolerating this food so far, no allergy symptoms and poops are good. I wanted to suggest to you if you don't already do this, to add 2 Tbsp plain yogurt to his kibble every morning, for the probiotics, it's great for digestion, and it boosts the immune system which is great for fighting infections and for allergy symptoms, as allergies are caused by an abnormal immune response. I also add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water, this has many health benefits, which you can read on the Home page under Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it balances the Ph levels of the blood. I also add Coconut Oil to the evening kibble for the Omega Fatty Oils, which is beneficial for the skin, coat, and brain.

Aaron

Aug 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Hi Rachelle,
I hope Kirby will be fine now. It is suggested to clean your French bulldog on regular basis so that it can stay free from any kind of bacterial infection.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Mine used to be on Orijen, and that company has a pretty good reputation. I wouldn't worrry about high protein, just make sure you feed the right amount and that the food is high quality.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.