OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Hello all!

I have a 13 week old little man named Opie.
I just am looking for some advice on food for the guy.

First he was on Beneful, from the breeder,we next switched him onto Purina Pro Plan, but looked more into the food ingredients later on and decided to switch him again, and this time to Blue Wilderness. We slowly transitioned him and he has been on Blue Wilderness only for almost 2 weeks now. So far we haven't had anything really negative with the food, and he loves the treats we bought him from Blue Buffalo, but his stool is still very soft, there is some firmness to it, but still pretty soft.

I did some research on the stool and found that it is caused by the dog being allergic to something that is in the food.

Also a quick question how much food do you guys think is good? I know every dog is different but I also read that over feeding could cause soft stool.

Has anyone had the same kind of reaction to the food, or does anyone have any good recommendations for me to try!
I am looking into maybe trying Vegan dog food for him as I have heard great things for bulldogs. I would go with the brand V-Dog.

Thank you very much in advance!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome to EBN. Opie is very cute. Congratulations. You're on the right track switching Opie to a better quality food. Beneful and Purina are not good choices for any dog, due to the poor quality and the fillers, and additives in the food. Have you been on the Home Page to read the Dog Food Ratings Forum? It lists all the dog food brands and lists then from a 6 Star food down to a 1 Star food. You want to choose a brand that is a 4 Star or better, for quality and nutrition. Examples of these foods are Fromm's, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Arcana, and Orijen. You mentioned that you switched to Blue Buffalo, and this is a great food. The next thing you want to look at is the source of the protein. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. You may want to try a different protein and a grain free food. Every dog is different in what they tolerate, it's really a trial and error process to find a food that they tolerate. When you did the food switches, did you do a slow transition over two weeks, or did you switch all at once? Changing foods too quickly can also cause tummy upsets and diarrhea. A puppy usually is fed more frequent meals throughout the day and the usual amount is 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day. They are usually fed puppy food until the age of 6 or 7 months, and then can be switched to an adult formula dog food, as well as the afternoon meal can be eliminated, and you can feed him 1 cup of kibble twice a day. I don't have any experience with the Vegan dog food, but again if you are going to try it, do a slow transition to the new food. Good luck, I hope you find a food that Opie tolerates. Please keep us posted on how he does.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your new pup. Both foods Blue Buffalo and Blue Wilderness are good foods. I would try just cutting back just a bit to see if his poop firms up. that is usually a good gauge for how much to feed a pup. I would rather overfeed a pup, than not enough, until he gets around 7 months of age, at which time you can switch him to adult food.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Wow thank you very much for your reply! :) Yes we transitioned him slowly...but not two weeks of slow, only a week. So for the next food we will definitely take it slower as well! And you for telling me about the dog food rating! I did not see that yet, I am still trying to figure out this website!

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely try reducing his food a bit. Right now we are giving him 1 cup 3 times a day, so I will try a little less, but not much! thank you

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi to do a slow transition, do,it over two to three weeks. Start with 3/4 of the old food mixed with 1/4 of the new food, then after a few days mix 1/2 and 1/2, and then 3/4 of the new food mixed with the old food, and finally all new food.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Quick little helper at the top of this page on the right hand side is a search engine just enter a topic ie tail pocket and it will take you to the threads dealing with tail pockets. Hope this helps and hope you love and enjoy each other Cheers hope to hear and see more of you and Opie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a cutie pie..... LOVE the name too! great advice already given so follow Monica nad David's info and you'll be set.

:welcome3:

C

Chelseaay

We feed our dogs Dr Johns gold and a pound of minced lamb, a well known show kennels advised this and our dogs have bulked up and had no problems, just a suggestion :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We started my EB on buffalo blue wilderness and his bowel movements never hardened up - it was always like soft served ice cream. After waiting about a month for him to get use to the food we switched him(and our other dogs) to Fromms pork & peas. It was about a week on the food before he started having normal bowel movements.

I think buffalo blue is a great food and we had our other 2 dogs on it for years but I have seen great improvements in all my dogs since switch foods - my one dog use to fart all the time when he was on BB now he barely farts on Fromms. My other dog used to scoot her butt a lot (ie try to express her glands) now she never does that. And then my EBs poops got better

IMO Blue night have been too rich for my pups. If things don't work out try switching to another quality food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Blue buffalo didn't work for Charley. He didn't like it and it didn't like him (soft bowels). Changed of protein didn't resolve the issue. I finally got smart and switched him to Acana. No more bowel issues!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Thank you for the replies and advice everyone! We are switching him over to blue buffalo basics for food sensitive puppies and we are really hoping it works. If not we will be trying FROMM.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.