Food, allergies, and tear stains

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
My Maizy has had some tear stains crop up the last month and a half. But the last two weeks the tear stains are terrible. The only different thing happened is I switched her food to adult Science Diet, from puppy Science Diet. I looked through some threads on here and see tear stains may be associated with environmental allergies or food allergies. So for food, how do you figure out the particular ingredient they may be allergic to? Does the vet test for it or is it a process of elimination? Any other tear stain tips or food you've noticed that is much better for dogs with stains under eyes?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
My Maizy has had some tear stains crop up the last month and a half. But the last two weeks the tear stains are terrible. The only different thing happened is I switched her food to adult Science Diet, from puppy Science Diet. I looked through some threads on here and see tear stains may be associated with environmental allergies or food allergies. So for food, how do you figure out the particular ingredient they may be allergic to? Does the vet test for it or is it a process of elimination? Any other tear stain tips or food you've noticed that is much better for dogs with stains under eyes?

Excess tears can be caused by allergies, but tear stains are a caused by a red bacteria in the secretion. It is normal though not very attractive. Leo had it when we got him at 5 months old. I got rid of it in 2 weeks by putting Angel Eyes original formula in his food. I still do it every week for both dogs to make sure the stains do not reoccur.

The bacteria can only survive at a certain PH level so sometimes changing the PH level in the dogs system can also get rid of the stains. Apple Cider vinegar (with the mother, brand like Bragg) causes the PH to become more acidic. Giving the dog a Tums at meal time will cause the PH to become more alkaline. Therse are two additional remedies, though I have not tried them. For me, Angel Eyes, which is a very mild antibiotic, has worked for very dog I ever had with tear stains. Also, do not feed or give water in plastic bowls which harbor the bacteria. Use stainless steel or ceramic bowls.

For whatever it is worth, Science Diet is not a particularly good dog food. I know the vet sells it but vets are not nutritionalists. I bet a higher quality dog food will help all around. I personally feed a commercial raw diet but there are tons of people on here that feed Fromm kibble as well as Orijen and other outstanding dry do foods. If you are looking to change foods, check dogfoodadvisor for a particular brand to see how it rates. Good luck!

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Thanks! I want to try new food, but wonder how long it would take to see if that's the original cause, the food.

RescuedByMyBullies

Jan 22, 2013
Missouri, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Melba and Winston
I agree with everything Agentbunny said. I personally give my bullies Taste of the Wild Salmon which also helps with their coat/skin. I have one bully with allergies & skin issues so it works great for him. I give organic (as much as possible) treats such as pumpkin, green beans, carrots, yogurt & sweet potatoes to them. I mush up cooked sweet potatoes & mix it in the Greek plain yogurt & freeze it in ice cube trays. They love having them for treats. Also do this with the pumpkin. Some times I add peanut butter instead and organic honey. I will add that I also give my bullies 1 tsp of natural Coconut oil in their food every day. This also helps eliminate tear stains & helps a great deal with allergies. If they wont take it with their kibble, you can mix it with peanut butter or yogurt & give it to them that way. TOTW comes in many varieties so you dont have to go with Salmon. I just chose that one because it helps with skin issues & adds the essentials oils they need for their coat. Best of Luck! :)

Halibee

Aug 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We feed ours Taste of the Wild as well. So far it's been the best for her. She still gets some of the staining, I think it's more of a seasonal thing though. She really doesn't itch much at all now. So I can't say enough good things about it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great info given by the members ..... We feed Fromm grain free line, Pork and Peas or Beef Frittata

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent info above! We feed Fromm and rarely have tear stains. I also give yogurt, coconut oil, and fruits or vegetables as snacks. I will also make batches of home cooked food and give nuvet plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I've heard that Angel Eyes is not safe - has anyone else heard that?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I have read it was not safe on rival tear stain supplement companies' websites as well as people's opinions on forums. One person even went in to say that their groomer removed it from their shelves and told her that it would be outlawed in the next several months. That was written in 2011 and it's still available and still often used. I would love to know how it adversely affects the health of the dog specifically, even anecdotally, but I can't find that answer.

I have never read or heard if any specific issue that any dog has had as a result of using angel eyes. It is a mild antibiotic (tylosin tartrate) that is used in the farming industry for poultry all the time. That means that whoever eats chicken or turkey is also consuming the tylosin tartrate. If it's ok for people, it's ok for dogs I think.

Personally, I have used it for a decade and have never had problems with any of my dogs as a result.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I think I initially heard that Angel eyes wasn't good from Amazon reviews and then after some internet research I found a few vet articles saying that their concern was with the dogs building an antibiotic resistance with long term use of angel eyes. Also other articles say that Angel eyes can gives a false high level of liver and/or kidney enzyme readings if blood work was done.

I guess the reason why I never tried Angel Eyes is because one of the amazon reviewer claimed that due to the belief that her dog was having a false high enzyme level from being on Angel Eyes she didn't take the blood results she receive seriously which later caused the death of her dog. Obviously the dog had some other underlying issues but it made me back away from the product.

I don't know if any of the above is true but if it works for you (and you haven't had any issues) then that's great!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online