General Question Transitioning Walter to adult food...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I got Fromm's Beef Frittata for Walter, so now we are transitioning from the Puppy Gold. He has horrid tear stains, so I'm sure that grain-free will help and I'm going to give him filtered water only. Walter is 6 mos old now, so my question is this...

1. Do I have to do a SLOW transition from the puppy to the beef?!!
2. Do I continue feeding him 3 times a day?!! It's not a problem for me since I stay at home...

Thanks for the help… I can't remember what I did for Winston, I swear I'm losing my mind… Lol :facepalm2:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Im not sure about the transition as I dont feed fromms, but im think at this point I went to two times a day feedings. Good luck. Wally is a big boy now!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I got Fromm's Beef Frittata for Walter, so now we are transitioning from the Puppy Gold. He has horrid tear stains, so I'm sure that grain-free will help and I'm going to give him filtered water only. Walter is 6 mos old now, so my question is this...

1. Do I have to do a SLOW transition from the puppy to the beef?!!
2. Do I continue feeding him 3 times a day?!! It's not a problem for me since I stay at home...

Thanks for the help… I can't remember what I did for Winston, I swear I'm losing my mind… Lol :facepalm2:
To be safe we did a transition when we switched. As for the number of feedings from what i have seen here most peeps wait until 10 months to 12 month before they cut out the middle feeding.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Hey Wally Chance is following this thread as he will soon be transitioning as well thought it would be this weekend but opted to stick with the puppy food. When this bag is done in about a month and a half was thinking about pork and peas from fromm

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tracey, if you are switching between Fromm's and another flavour of Fromm's they say they are interchangeable without having to do a slow transition, but having said that if Walter is sensitive or has allergies, you might want to do the slow transition over two weeks to avoid any tummy problems or diarrhea. You are switching from the Puppy Gold, which is a chicken based food, to the Fromm's Beef Frittata, so the different protein source may give him an upset tummy, gas or maybe softer stools, until he adjusts to the change. If you want to do the slow change over two weeks, start with 3/4 of the old food micpxed with 1/3 of the new food, then after a few days, mix 1/2 and 1/2, and then 3/4 of the new food mixed with 1/3 of the old food, then all new food. Add the yogurt for the digestion and the probiotics. When we switched our guys to adult food at 7 months old, went from 3 times a day feedings to twice a day. We eliminated the afternoon feeding and went to 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Every dog is different and you will have to gauge it on his appetite, how active he is, and his poops. With Fromm's you don't have to feed him as much, because it is a higher quality food, but you could continue to feed him 3 times a day, and see now he does. Cut back if you see or think he is gaining too much weight.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi Tracey-@ddnene Since Wally is having his "issues" right now, I agree with Monica. I would switch very slowly, and I would start giving him a little less each morning if you want to start twice a day. Mine ask for breakfast-so they still get a little handful, just to please them!! Hope Walter gets better soon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes do a slow transition!!!! Fromm puppy is NOT in the four star line. Only the four star foods are interchangeable. You can start feeding 2x a day, but certainly don't have to. I would at least wait until he's fully transitioned and accustomed to the new food regardless. So about another month of 3 x a day.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck Wally, I hope the tear stains dissappear!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good luck to you both... Hope it all goes well!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks guys… I'm going to do the slow transition, and with everything going on lately I think I'm gonna give him till 10 months to start the twice a day feeding. Last thing I need is him getting more stressed out… Lol :fie: Hopefully this will help w/the tear stains… poor baby is a HOT mess!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.