If you add supplements...

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I add NuVet, yogurt, Acv, berries and veggies to Tucker's kibble, so is a six star dog food really necessary? Or can I get away with a lower rating like a four star??

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I add NuVet, yogurt, Acv, berries and veggies to Tucker's kibble, so is a six star dog food really necessary? Or can I get away with a lower rating like a four star??

Great question!

Many times you can, there are great lower costs kibble out there. But my thinking is not necessarily the food itself, it's where the ingredients are sourced and the tests done on the kibble, as well as the recall history. That is why I choose to keep mine on the best food possible, especially since I know it agrees with them, I don't want to make any changes that could cause problems. There is no greater feeling than knowing they are doing well on what they are given. Many times I tried other low cost foods and it took a while to get them back ( tear stains, stomach upset or runny poo) after the trial so now I'm nervous to even try other six star foods because I don't want to fix what is not broken.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Lisa's advice, also the supplements like yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and NuVet, berries and veggies are meant to be boosters for their health, and preventative measures. For instance we add the yogurt for the Probiotics, and for digestion, it boosts the immune system, as does the ACV. By boosting the immune system, it helps them fight infections, diarrhea, parasites, and also helps with allergy symptoms. ACV is also a natural anti inflammatory so is good for the joints as well. It's like you taking vitamins to boost your health. By preventing symptoms and diseases, you avoid vet visits and vet bills in the long run, and you boost your dogs health, which will prolong his life, and give him a better quality of life.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I add NuVet, yogurt, Acv, berries and veggies to Tucker's kibble, so is a six star dog food really necessary? Or can I get away with a lower rating like a four star??[/QUOT

I agree with everyone else. Not only where the meat is sourced can be the issue but also the meat itself. If the dog food does not boast
"human grade" ingredients then the meat used is most often diseased, rotten or partially rotten, or old. Humans wouldn't eat it so they sell it to the pet food industry. Non human grade vegetables are usually spoiled or have spored. In the case of potatoes, those that have grown spores are actually dangerous to feed.

In my opinion, the dog food itself is the foundation of the meal. Everything else you put on top is a bonus. Its like you eating a low quality processed diet but making up for it by taking vitamins every day.... better to just change your diet... lol.
I am not sure where people are finding 6 star food,but on www.dogfoodadvisor.com, the max given is 5 stars and it is a very reputable site for honest dog food evaluation.
Personally, I feed Stella and Chewys Raw patties and still add salmon oil, coconut oil, and Nupro.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.