General Question Vitamins + Royal Canin Adult

sarge03

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola.
Hello,
I am a new and proud owner of a beautiful bulldog (Lola) and have had her for 2 weeks now. I adopted her from Ft. Worth, TX and am currently living in San Angelo, TX. The lady I adopted her from told me Lola was used to feeding on Royal Canin and so I have continued to feed her the same. Lola will be undergoing training with me in Jan. 2015 as I am a veteran who suffers from PTSD and the organization that is helping me is going to train Lola to be a PTSD service dog. Well recently she has be licking and biting the air like crazy. I do not remember her doing that on the first day she stayed at my apartment. She was rubbing her face on the carpet and on the furniture. She, however, doesn't constantly lick her paws at all. I took her to the vet and he gave me some steroid pills (don't remember the name) to help with the allergies but it doesn't seem to have helped, next I was recommended Benadryl and that hasn't seem to help either. I came across NuVet Plus and the Hardy Pet Complete vitamins in which some customers claim it has helped their pets within the allergy realm. I have done extensive reading about dogs just to learn about them since I've never owned one. Heck, I even watch The Dog Whisperer on my computer just to learn about the training methods he uses. My main question though is if I decide to buy either supplements that I mentioned will it interfere with the nutrients already found in her Royal Canin food? I am just really confused as to what is going on with her and how to treat it. Sorry for the lengthy post, I was just trying to give you guys some background. I appreciate any advice!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Sarge and Lola, First, Welcome to EBN and Sarge thank you for your service. Lola is a pretty girl. You will find much information here at this website. As fars as what is causing Lola issues...The main thing is to try to figure out what the allergen is causing the problem and try to eliminate it. If you are feeding the same food, that should not be an issue. I feed Jewel and Bentley Royal Canin Bulldog and also give them a daily supplement NuVet plus which we just started. I have not had any problems so far. Other members will most definitely chime in here.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sarge and Lola. Welcome to EBN, and Congratulations on your new baby.

I have two EB's, one male and one female, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom, they are siblings and litter mates. When I bought them form the breeder, they were also being fed Royal Canin, and he sent me home with two Pails of the food. After reading the ingredients, I realized it wasn't the best quality of dog food, since it had corn and fillers in the ingredient list. I started researching dog foods, which is how I found this site. I read the Dog Food Ratings which you can find on the Home Page. It lists and rates the dog food brands from a 6 Star rating to a 1 Star rating. You want to choose a 4 to 6 Star rated food for quality and nutrition. Examples of these foods are Wellness, Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Arcana, and Fromm's, which is what we feed our guys. My female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, so we feed either Fromm's Beef Frittata, and recently started using Fromm's Lamb and Lentil, which they are both doing really on. These Fromm's flavours are grain free, and the nice thing about the Fromm's foods is that they are all interchangeable without having to do a slow transition between changing flavours. The Royal Canin is a chicken based food, which many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, and grains, and some to salmon. It may be the chicken or the grains or both I the Royal Canin food that are causing the allergy symptoms in Lola. Other things you can do is add some natural supplements such as plain unsweetened yogurt, we add 2 Tbsp's to their morning yogurt, it is a great source of probiotics which aids in digestion, and also boosts the immune system which helps fight infections, and helps with allergy symptoms. We also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. There is an excellent article on The Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar on the Home Page, that lists many more benefits than what I listed. I also add Coconut Oil and Kelp to their evening kibble. Coconut Oil is an excellent source of Omega 3 Oils which are great for the skin and coat as well as the brain. You can also use Salmon Oil, or Cod Liver Oil instead of Coconut Oil, and Kelp has all the vitamins and minerals your dog will need. I'm not familiar with the NuVet Vitamins, but Kelp has everything your dog needs.

Hi, someone recently told me about giving Kelp to dogs, I looked it up, and there seems to be many health benefits to giving your dog Kelp. Has anyone heard of Kelp for dogs, or does anyone use it or have any experience with this supplement?

Benefits of Kelp

Kelp is a recognized food supplement for humans. Now vets and advocates of an holistic approach to pet health recommend it for dogs and other animals. This seaweed is rich in natural salts and minerals, and it has a number of benefits for your dog's health.

Natural Dog Arthritis Fix

Thyroid, Adrenal and Pituitary Glands

Kelp is known for being iodine-rich. Thyroid problems are often associated with an iodine deficiency, and kelp as a natural source of iodine is a long-standing medical treatment for people with thyroid problems. The rich mix of iodine and other minerals in kelp makes it an ideal supplement to keep your pup's entire glandular system, particularly the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands, in healthy working order. This in turn ensures your dog's metabolism works efficiently, which is an important element in maintaining a healthy weight. If your pet has hypothyroidism, where the thyroid function slows down, kelp is recommended as a supplement to the standard thyroxine treatment usually prescribed by vets.

Allergies and Fleas

Anything which helps flea control is good news for dog owners. Diane Stein, in her book "The Natural Remedy Book for Dogs and Cats," says after three weeks of kelp supplementation there is a noticeable reduction in fleas on animals who have an infestation. This suggests that kelp repulses fleas and that using the supplement regularly is a useful addition to chemical flea treatments. Kelp also reduces itchiness in those dogs with skin allergies and improves the overall condition of your dog's skin and coat.

General Health

Kelp also supports many of your dog's other body functions. It cleanses the digestive system and keeps its juices balanced. Because it is high in iron it fortifies the blood, which then helps the heart to pump more efficiently. In older dogs especially it is recommended for strengthening the immune system, which can protect them from a range of diseases. Also, dogs on kelp supplements are thought to heal faster from surgery, because the amino acids in the seaweed support tissue repair. And it could help you and your dog to live longer. The Japanese have long maintained that eating seaweed is a source of their longevity.

Dosage

In her book "The Pet Lover's Guide to Natural Healing for Cats and Dogs," Barbara Fougere warns that levels of iodine in kelp are not always consistent. Too much iodine can give your dog iodine toxicity with symptoms such as watery eyes and nose, stomach upsets and lethargy. She says that kelp must be given in measured doses and not freely added to your dog's food. The dosage should be according to your dog's size. Maximum daily doses by size are 1/4 teaspoon for small dogs, 1/2 teaspoon for medium-sized dogs and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Avoid kelp harvested along the U.S. coastline as it probably contaminated with industrial pollutants. Deep ocean kelp and Norwegian kelp are considered the best sources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Kelp Is Great for Your Dog

Kelp has been touted as a highly beneficial supplement for humans for some time. It contains lots of vitamins and minerals, some of which are hard to get from other sources. But did you know that kelp has numerous benefits for dogs as well.
Feeding your dog kelp on a regular basis can do great things for his health. Here are some of the benefits you can expect to see:

Shinier coat and softer, healthier skin

Better digestion

Increased immune function, which means less sickness and quicker healing from injuries

Greater milk production in lactating females

Healthier puppies born to parents that were given kelp

Kelp is especially beneficial for glandular health. This results in greater balance throughout the dogā€™s system, as well as less incidence of hyperthyroidism and other glandular disorders. The thyroid and pituitary glands directly affect digestion, so this explains in part why dogs that eat kelp digest their food and absorb nutrients better. They have a more efficient metabolism, too.

Dogs also need plenty of fiber to keep their digestive systems in check, and kelp is a great source of fiber. This keeps the digestive tract clean and helps prevent absorption of toxic metals. A diet high in fiber also helps fight inflammation, rheumatism, and the development and growth of tumors.

Puppies can benefit greatly from kelp as well. It contains many of the things they need to grow up healthy and strong. Kelp given to reproducing dogs will make birthing easier and result in better health and increased survival rates for their puppies.

Kelp contains over 100 nutrients that your dog needs. It is a wonderful source of trace minerals, including iodine, magnesium, zinc, copper, gold, cobalt, and selenium. Also found in kelp are high levels of B vitamins, as well as Vitamin E and C. In addition to these vitamins and minerals, kelp is also rich in amino acids.

The easiest way to include kelp in your dogā€™s diet is to give him food that contains it each day. Kelp is also available in dried form, which preserves its nutritional benefits very well. There are also a number of kelp supplements in various forms on the market, but these vary in effectiveness.

Kelp has been called a miracle plant due to its outstanding nutritional value and ability to balance the human system. Including it in your dogā€™s diet on a regular basis can improve his overall health and help treat a number of existing health problems. Whether included as an ingredient in your dogā€™s food or given as a supplement, kelp is one of the best things you can give your best friend.

OP
sarge03

sarge03

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola.
Thanks all for the responses. Ok so if I change her food from Royal Canin to Fromms do I have to mix it with the Royal Canin for a couple of weeks (1-2) so she can get used to the Fromms or can I just give her the food all in one sitting? I'm most certain it may be the Royal Canin that is causing her to act as such, she usually starts biting and licking the air after she eats. I also looked into the Kelp supplement and will order some. I read that deep ocean kelp and Norwegian kelp are considered the best sources. I have ordered some Norwegian kelp and hopefully try Fromm's dog food to see if there is a change in Lola.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks all for the responses. Ok so if I change her food from Royal Canin to Fromms do I have to mix it with the Royal Canin for a couple of weeks (1-2) so she can get used to the Fromms or can I just give her the food all in one sitting? I'm most certain it may be the Royal Canin that is causing her to act as such, she usually starts biting and licking the air after she eats. I also looked into the Kelp supplement and will order some. I read that deep ocean kelp and Norwegian kelp are considered the best sources. I have ordered some Norwegian kelp and hopefully try Fromm's dog food to see if there is a change in Lola.

If the Royal Canin is giving her problems, try giving straight Fromm's. If she doesn't eat, mix a little Royal Canin in with the Fromm's.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Hi and Welcome - My female bully has a tight corkscrew tail that sits in a tail pocket. When she starts doing that I clean her tail pocket - I'm bad - sometimes I forget to clean it for a couple of days. After that she is fine. She used to be on Royal Canin and did okay with it, but when I adopted my male bully we changed to the Renal Formula he is on - because the other bowl is always better then mine - - - -

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Fromm is a great choice, especially price wise compared to royal canin! Now I would certainly do a slow transition, you don't want to upset her tummy as it may cause more issues.

I'm glad you've read up on the supplements too. A lot of bulldogs that suffer from allergies really do well on nuvet because it helps boost the immune system. It also has a natural antihistamine in it (cats claw ). A low immune system makes allergy symptoms much worse. Not only that, but skin infections and mange, ect. If you decide to order, please use code 1101106.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:welcome3: to EBN.... If you opt to switch do it slow over a week or two, just so she doesn't get an upset tummy or runny poo. Both supplements you mention are great and used by many members here. I also use witch hazel on a cotton ball, to clean tail pocket and wrinkles.

good luck with all your training Nd keep us posted

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We fed Royal Canin a long time ago and our bullies did OK on it for awhile, then they started to itch, so we switched their food. We feed FROMM 4 star grain free food now, plus he NuVet is a good supplement.

OP
sarge03

sarge03

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola.
Thank you all for the responses! I decided to order her the Fromm's Beef Frittata Grain Free Dog food and will post results.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2: And a BIG Thank you for your service to our country, and best of luck to you Lola. As [MENTION=5712]Annie1991[/MENTION] mentioned, make sure you check her back end-under her tail, and for a tail pocket.
Mine do not have tail pockets, but if they have any "debris" under the tail or around the anus-they will act like they are licking or biting the air, as they can not reach themselves like other dogs can. Possibly could need anal glands cleaned(expressed) and worst case scenerio-there is a "seizure" disorder that is called fly biting, that will also cause them to bite at and lick the air. Hoping that it is just a food change that is needed-perhaps I mis-understood the symptoms. [MENTION=12544]sarge03[/MENTION]

OP
sarge03

sarge03

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola.
What kind of witch hazel do you use and or recommend. I was not aware that their tail pockets were supposed to be cleaned. This website, however, has helped me sooooo much. I found a couple on Amazon but just about all of them are for humans. I came across this one which had great reviews:

Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula Toner

http://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Petal...F8&qid=1407422695&sr=8-1&keywords=witch+hazel

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What kind of witch hazel do you use and or recommend. I was not aware that their tail pockets were supposed to be cleaned. This website, however, has helped me sooooo much. I found a couple on Amazon but just about all of them are for humans. I came across this one which had great reviews:

Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula Toner

http://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Petal...F8&qid=1407422695&sr=8-1&keywords=witch+hazel

I just buy the bottle at the grocery or drug store for 99 cents, and yep it's the human kind!

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Appreciate your service [MENTION=12544]sarge03[/MENTION]

Fromms is a great choice for Lola. Hope everything goes well for you guys. :usa:

OP
sarge03

sarge03

Aug 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola.
UPDATE

Hello,
I am just following up with an update. Ever since I took ya'lls awesome advice I switched Lola's food from Royal Canin to Fromms, been sprinkling kelp in her food and have been giving her yogurt and apple cider vinegar. Ever since I started that she has not been licking the air at all as to before she would do it non-stop. I really appreciate all the great advice from you guys!!!! :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.