Thinking of taking Bongo to 1 feeding a day what do you think?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi,
Bongo is 2.5 years old now and usually feed him one and three quarter cups twice a day. Which is what's recommended from Fromm but lately he's leaving a quarter or half of his food. Now it's hot so that might be affecting his appetite. I'm thinking of one a day feeding at supper what do you guys think any experience with this? If yes what do you do?
Thanks again for you advice I always value it.
u7a9une7.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I would first try feeding him 1 cup twice a day before switching him to once a day feedings. Most members including myself feed our guys 1 cup of kibble in the am and 1 cup in the pm. Maybe 1 and 3/4 cups twice a day is too much food for him, and that's why he's leaving some of it. I'm just afraid feeding him once a day wouldn't be enough, plus feeding him once a day means hes only being fed once every 24 hours, which is a long time to go without food in between feedings. Some bullies throw up when they go a long time with an empty tummy. We also feed our guys Fromm's, and they have been eating 1 cup twice a day since they were 7 months old, they are 2 years old now, and both maintain a weight of 45 lbs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just feed him 1 cup twice a day.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I would first try feeding him 1 cup twice a day before switching him to once a day feedings. Most members including myself feed our guys 1 cup of kibble in the am and 1 cup in the pm. Maybe 1 and 3/4 cups twice a day is too much food for him, and that's why he's leaving some of it. I'm just afraid feeding him once a day wouldn't be enough, plus feeding him once a day means hes only being fed once every 24 hours, which is a long time to go without food in between feedings. Some bullies throw up when they go a long time with an empty tummy. We also feed our guys Fromm's, and they have been eating 1 cup twice a day since they were 7 months old, they are 2 years old now, and both maintain a weight of 45 lbs.

Im so glad to hear you say that some bullies throw up when their stomachs are empty. Goob would sometimes not eat his breakfast and I noticed that he would have diarrhea later in the afternoon. This was a pattern...skip a meal=diarrhea. So I would hand feed him/force feed him breakfast so his stomach wouldn't be empty all day. My husband asked me why I was forcing him and I told him that if I didnt, he would have diarrhea later on. I didnt know that this was a common thing. Me needing to force feed him at times (and reading about quality foods from this website) helped me switch Goob from Eukanuba to Merrick Grain Free. Goob is excited about food now which he NEVER was before. It never occurred to me that he didn't like his food but now I know. He gets one cup for breakfast and one cup at night.

Thanks for the info!!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I feed all three of mine twice a day now. Two of them had a period where they would eat once a day, it was their choice, they didn't want to eat in the morning and they usually finished their entire bowl later at around lunchtime. They did though get "snacks" in the morning and evening as Bennie will definitely throw up if his tummy is empty. I would probably as others say continue to feed twice a day, just feed a little less:)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Thank All for the advice, Elmo just wants to eat only once a day, so I will start feeding him 1 cup twice a day. Thank You Again, Love All.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree with the above. 1 cup twice daily. My two are very food motivated and they anticipate the 8 o'clock hour. If its 8:12 and they haven't been fed, chaos breaks out. Day light savings time is a bitch. Twice a year they have to relearn their routine. It takes them about a week to figure the new schedule out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a beautiful photo... so so happy!

I also suggested and feed 1 cup 2x a day.... it is plenty when feeding a high quality food

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)

I feed twice a day but on weekends I don't get up as early as I do during the work week to feed my girls. One of my bully's tummy will gurgle and rumble which wakes me up on many Saturday mornings. If I sleep too late she has a tough time eating and chews and spits the food all over the floor. She wants to eat but her tummy must be upset from going too long between dinner and breakfast. Eventually she will get it all down. Funny thing is that this only happens on Saturday mornings. I guess her tummy adjusts and on Sunday's she is fine. Thank goodness we never had diarrhea or vomiting but it sounds quite similar and she eats 2x EVERY day...mine never miss a meal. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In some occasions I have given food once a day and the amount of food is so massive that their stomachs are visibly so much bigger that I have chosen to feed twice a day. But every bully is different and there's no harm in trying.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.