Puppy Food Question

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So all the different foods are very overwhelming. But I finally found a store around here that sells Fromm. They have both the gold and 4 stars. So I have read that if the eb doesnt have any allergies they you dont have to feed the 4 stars. So is it better to start them off on the gold or just do the 4 stars anyway or go another route and do taste of the wild? Also how long does it take to transition them to the new food? The breeder just started mixing eukanuba in with the wet food today. So she will only be on the eukanuba for like a week and half when I get her. Yay 10 days till she gets to come home!!! Cant wait. :up:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I have my puppy 9 weeks old on Fromm puppy gold, and this was after a few reccomondations from the more knowledgeable people on here

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I feel your pain on choosing
a food for your puppy. It almost
sent me to the nut house. One day
I just new I was gonna put Jozi on
Canidae, then the next Natures Variety,
the next Fromm, and so on.

Honestly I would have gone with Fromm.
But there is no where to get it around here.
I know you can order it online but thats not
me. I like to have a source of everything
nearby.

Finally I landed on Taste of The Wild. Jozi was
on Iams Puppy and is now about 3/4 of the
way threw her switch, and doing absolutely
fantastic. Even though she hasn't been on
ToTW very long I think we are going to be
very happy on it.

Hope this helps some. More than anything I'm
just saying don't think you are the only one of us
that stresses over food. I don't worry this
much about what I eat. Kinda sad.

Good luck they are all really good foods.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
if you find that it is hard to locate a store that sells what you would like to feed, just ask a feed store or a dog wash that also sells food if they can special order it for you. a lot of times they will, and don't let them bully you on price, let them know you can always get it somewhere else or online.

OP
Bellas Mommy

Bellas Mommy

Jan 9, 2011
Grand Blanc, Mi
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you everyone. I found Fromm and Taste of the Wild at a local store. My problem is just choosing one to start feeding her about whether I should do grain free or feed like the gold that has grains in them. And how long I should trastition her from the old to the new.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Neither of my girls seem to have a problem with grains, so I haven't done grain-free. I'm feeding Nature's Variety Prairie and am very pleased with it. It's an all stages food, so puppies can have it right on thru to adulthood. Just go slow with the transition. That's the best way.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
definitely go slow like [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] said. the transition should take about 10 days or more. that way it doesn't shock their lil' bellies! :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=1689]Bellas Mommy[/MENTION] Fromm has 3 different lines of dog formulas, 2 of them are the gold and 4 star. I would personally recommend going with the gold puppy food, the 4 star formulas are for all life stages but at such a young age I would go with a puppy food because it has more of what they need during the vital growing stages. After about 6 months it would be safe to switch to the 4 star formulas. The 4 star line has the 2 grain free formulas (surf & turf and beef frittata) and some not grain free formulas. You can rotate thru all those formauls so she can have some variety, you only need to worry about sticking to the 2 grain free foods if she develops allergies. Oh and to clarify the difference between the 2 lines of Fromm foods, gold and 4 star. Technically the 4 star line of food is a bit better, they aren't all grain free but they are all 5 star rated foods according to Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble where as the gold line is rated at 4 stars. Both good foods, the 4 star line is just considered to be a bit better. I know its a bit confusing that their 4 star lines of food gets referred to as a 5 star rating and the gold gets rated at a 4 star but thats the way they did it LOL

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva is on Fromm and was on Iams from the breeder. I have changed her food 3 times now and always do it over a 2 week period and havent had any GI problems. We are planning on getting another puppy in the spring and will put her on Fromm too! Good lucl with your choice.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
I am also wanting to know what is the best food for my 7 month old bulldog. I am currently feeding her Royal Canin Medium Puppy 32.
I have read some good and bad things about this food so I am just wanting to know if this food is good or not.:confused: She has tear stains, farts (espically at night),
and has smelly poop:poo:!!! She also has occasional diarrhea:(. I just want what is best for my baby girl. Please let me know any information that y'all may have.
Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am also wanting to know what is the best food for my 7 month old bulldog. I am currently feeding her Royal Canin Medium Puppy 32.
I have read some good and bad things about this food so I am just wanting to know if this food is good or not.:confused: She has tear stains, farts (espically at night),
and has smelly poop:poo:!!! She also has occasional diarrhea:(. I just want what is best for my baby girl. Please let me know any information that y'all may have.
Thank you!

If you are spending that much on dog food, then get Fromm or Nature's Variety. Same price range, but you need to feed less per day. I think RC said 4-5 c per day! :eek: Too much food.

So Fromm or Nature's Variety will be cheaper in the long run, cuz you only need 1 c. twice a day (for most bullies), and some even less than that.

Go for one of those and you should not be disappointed in the results!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@Bellas Mommy and @RoxiBear

I :heart: Fromm and I had Maggie on the 4* range, so when I got Daddy as a rescue puppy from an amish puppy mill, I very slowly moved him over to 4* too. It's an all life stage food, and (so I believe) the top of their range of foods. It was also small enough for him to eat. I do also give all my dogs the Grizzly Pet Products salmon oil which you can get in pet stores and online. This stuff is wonderful, and you'd think you were giving the dogs caviar. Salmon oil is wonderful for their immune system, but also their joints and bullies can get a lot of joint problems in later life because of their unique build.

I do top their food with plain yogurt, and then top that off with shredded/stick carrots or frozen blueberries.

My bullies probably get better nutriton than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just edited this post .. why am I pretending ... they DO get better nutrition than me! :lol:

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] I know right I think about
that all the time. How much effort we put
into what our dogs eat. Then run down
to the local hamburger stand for our food.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] I know ... you should see hubbys face when we are feeding the dogs . Out comes the Fromm, followed by a generous topping of plain (sometimes organic) plain yogurt. Then a tasteful topping of shredded carrot, frozen blueberries or the occasional tastefully arranged tier of green beans ................... eye rolling and huffing doesn't even describe it! LMAO :lol:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Thank you!

[MENTION=1704]RoxiBear[/MENTION], i had the exact same issues when i fed my first two eb's royal canin. it is not a good food. it has beet pulp in it which contributes to tear stains. you can remove those with hydrogen peroxide. i won't repeat everyone else, because they are giving you great advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online