Help Needed! What is....

AllisonH

Jul 12, 2014
Nashville, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoss (Should be Gorgeous)
What is grain free dog food? Does anyone know who makes it and where you get it? Can you get it at the store or do you have to go to a place like PETCO? With our American Bulldog, she just ate Pedigree.

AllisonH

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Grain free food is any dry dog food that contains no grains such as wheat, corn, oats, rice. It is a basically high protein, low carb dog food. Grains are the number one source of allergies in dogs and are generally used as fillers, so the dogs tend to eat more, absorb less, and poo more than when eating grain free or raw diets.
Even grain free varieties have good an not so good brands. Petco sells good brands as well as Pet Smart, Pet Food Express, and Pet Club. There are online vendors as well. Personally, I think the best kibble out there is Orijen. Others will probably name their favorite. All of the recommendations from people on this forum will be good choices. Lastly, you want to choose a dog food that is rated at least a 4.5 - 5 on the following website http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com
Just search in the name of the food you are considering and you will get a very comprehensive, non-biased review. I can safely tell you that there is absolutely no food that can be purchased at a grocery store that is of any high quality.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
We give Goob Merrick Grain Free Dog food. It's the Texas Beef Flavor and we buy it at Petco. We just made the switch last week and he LOVES it. I have never seen him so excited to eat before. He doesn't have any allergies but I learned that the food we were giving him was NOT good. I feel so bad because it took me 3 years to find out!!!!! But, better late than never.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, AllisonH, agentbunny has already given you excellent advice and has answered your question about grain free. I do have an EB with allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and I have had to switch foods 4 times before I found one that both my guys tolerated. I found this site while I was researching dogfoods online. We feed our guys Fromm's Beef Fritatta, which is a grain free formula, and is rated as a 6 Star food. You want to choose a 4 Star rated food or better. If you go to the Home page, which you can find at the top left hand corner of the forums, and click on it, you will different articles, there is one on dogfood ratings and nutrition.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Grain free food is any dry dog food that contains no grains such as wheat, corn, oats, rice. It is a basically high protein, low carb dog food. Grains are the number one source of allergies in dogs and are generally used as fillers, so the dogs tend to eat more, absorb less, and poo more than when eating grain free or raw diets.
Even grain free varieties have good an not so good brands. Petco sells good brands as well as Pet Smart, Pet Food Express, and Pet Club. There are online vendors as well. Personally, I think the best kibble out there is Orijen. Others will probably name their favorite. All of the recommendations from people on this forum will be good choices. Lastly, you want to choose a dog food that is rated at least a 4.5 - 5 on the following website http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com
Just search in the name of the food you are considering and you will get a very comprehensive, non-biased review. I can safely tell you that there is absolutely no food that can be purchased at a grocery store that is of any high quality.

Great info right here^^^^^ Origen, Fromm, Nature Variety instinct, merrick's are a few of the top grain free lines

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Excellent advice! Some popular foods are Fromm, Natures Variety, Natures Logic, blue wilderness, orijen, Acana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
With these foods you will notice an incredible change in their coats, energy and stools. There will also be advice on how to transition from one brand to the next. Hope you find what works best for you and let us know how it turns out.

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
We have our pup on blue wilderness for large breed puppies. Her tummy had been pink and spotty and her poop was really soft and smelly. It's been a little over a week and her tummy is all better, her poop is more solid, and the smell.is getting better. I think I'm gonna start adding yogurt to her breakfast.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.