Help Needed! Confusion with whats best for pups

Neils

Jul 13, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Hi i,m new to this and just want the very best for my new pup.....
When we bought him, the breeder gave us advice about food (Royal Canin) and what to add, also to give him a calcium tablet 3 x per week ?????
After talking to other owners and advice from the Vets....we are now getting a little confused...,,:w00t:
Any help or tips would be much appreciated..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Take it one step at a time, continue with what the breeder gave you for at least a few weeks.

You can then slowly switch to a better food, and once that's established you can add other good stuff like yogurt and salmon or coconut oil.

However I would replace the calcium tablets with a good supplement instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
First off welcome to the site. The best place for you to start would be to read over the articles posted on the home page as they contain a wealth of information to help you along the way. Royal Canine is not all that great of a food but if it works for your pup I wouldn't look to change it right away. With food you will want to feed the highest quality food that you pup does well on that won't break your budget while keeping in mind thay while high quality foods are more expensive it will last longer as you will need to feed less at each feeding and it will save you money in the long run in other areas.

As for the calcium supplements.... Yeah I wouldn't personally give them as I would use a complete supplement like NuVet or HardyPet for all the supplemental needs. You also want to go ahead and start introducing probiotics to your pup in the form of plain yogurt, kefir or powder.

One of the biggest things to remember with a bully pup is to only introduce 1 new item at a time so that if they have a reaction to that item you will know what caused it.

This is just a few quick highlights for you. We don't bite and are really friendly around here so feel free to ask any questions you have.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome and I agree with the others, switch his food to something better in a few weeks and I would not give the calcium supplement. I have never given any of our pups calcium supplements.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Couldn't have said it better than [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]...Good luck with your new pup!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off welcome to the site. The best place for you to start would be to read over the articles posted on the home page as they contain a wealth of information to help you along the way. Royal Canine is not all that great of a food but if it works for your pup I wouldn't look to change it right away. With food you will want to feed the highest quality food that you pup does well on that won't break your budget while keeping in mind thay while high quality foods are more expensive it will last longer as you will need to feed less at each feeding and it will save you money in the long run in other areas.

As for the calcium supplements.... Yeah I wouldn't personally give them as I would use a complete supplement like NuVet or HardyPet for all the supplemental needs. You also want to go ahead and start introducing probiotics to your pup in the form of plain yogurt, kefir or powder.

One of the biggest things to remember with a bully pup is to only introduce 1 new item at a time so that if they have a reaction to that item you will know what caused it.

This is just a few quick highlights for you. We don't bite and are really friendly around here so feel free to ask any questions you have.

GREAT INFO!!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance

fantastic advice would add that on the top of the page right hand corner is a search engine just add a topic and it will bring you to threads concerning that topic.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.