Human breastmilk for extra nutrition for puppy?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I am just impressed that [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] is such a mannerly guy that he got the human milk from a bag in the fridge!! Could have been worse!:eek:

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
Really human milk is that gross? Do you know where a lot of supplements come from? Or flavoring? Or everyday products? A lot worse places then a human breast lol. Or cow milk that's filed with blood and puss.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have yet to hear of anyone supplementing with dairy on a raw diet. We feed the prey model raw and there is no dairy whatsoever. Raw meat, raw bones, organs.
I wouldn't chance it personally. Too many unknowns that could lead to issues. There are far better things you can use to supplement that dogs can actually benefit from.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
But back to the topic at hand I was just really wondering as a supplement? Again I'm not gonna do, I just really curious if it could be used for say a puppy or sick dog? It has great benefits for humans I wonder if any of those benefits would transfer to a dog? Just food, or milk, for thought.

That's a great question, I am not sure if it would help it hinder. See a mother dog produces immunities that she has in her milk and those are passed to the pup, including immunity to parvo, distemper, ect. Once the pup is weaned it takes 3 weeks for those immunities to leave their body. During that time giving a parvo shot is worthless- because the mothers overrides the shot so the shot does nothing.

Human milk does the same for babies, so I'm not sure if it would give her any benefits because she is not human, and likely has and needs different immunities.

Humans have a different digestive system as well as a different ph.

We are not immune to certain things that dogs are, like salmonella. Dogs are not immune to things we are like eating onions and grapes.

For this reason again I would discuss it with your vet. There is no reason to not give it if it's beneficial, it could be very beneficial, but that I just don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
That's a great question, I am not sure if it would help it hinder. See a mother dog produces immunities that she has in her milk and those are passed to the pup, including immunity to parvo, distemper, ect. Once the pup is weaned it takes 3 weeks for those immunities to leave their body. During that time giving a parvo shot is worthless- because the mothers overrides the shot so the shot does nothing.

Human milk does the same for babies, so I'm not sure if it would give her any benefits because she is not human, and likely has and needs different immunities.

Humans have a different digestive system as well as a different ph.

We are not immune to certain things that dogs are, like salmonella. Dogs are not immune to things we are like eating onions and grapes.

For this reason again I would discuss it with your vet. There is no reason to not give it if it's beneficial, it could be very beneficial, but that I just don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best answer, thank you :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Really human milk is that gross? Do you know where a lot of supplements come from? Or flavoring? Or everyday products? A lot worse places then a human breast lol. Or cow milk that's filed with blood and puss.

This is an interesting question and of course breast milk isn't gross! I wonder if the composition is suitable for dogs, though. Therefore I too think you should discuss it with your vet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.