Human breastmilk for extra nutrition for puppy?

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
DONT FREAK OUT! Just something I was thinking about, not saying I'm going to do it. Could you give a puppy a bottle of human breastmilk (for bonding), or add some to their food (for extra nutrition)? I have a newborn (human not puppy lol) and a freezer full of human milk and was just wondering if it would be beneficial to our puppy we will be getting. People give dogs all sorts of supplements, wouldn't it be like a raw food supplement?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no clue either way.... but tagged a few members with puppy experience.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am not sure, I would check with your vet to see if human milk is digestible well in dogs, I know goat milk is the next best thing and most like canine milk as well as human milk- cows milk is not, so my educated guess would be yes, but I would still check with your vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION], I would ask the vet, because it might be too hard for them to digest.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would have to assume that your puppy would at LEAST be 8 weeks old, so he should be weaned already and eating a high quality puppy food?!! I can't see how milk at this point would be beneficial…

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would have to assume that your puppy would at LEAST be 8 weeks old, so he should be weaned already and eating a high quality puppy food?!! I can't see how milk at this point would be beneficial…

Neither do I

M

MaggieluvsBuster

DONT FREAK OUT! Just something I was thinking about, not saying I'm going to do it. Could you give a puppy a bottle of human breastmilk (for bonding), or add some to their food (for extra nutrition)? I have a newborn (human not puppy lol) and a freezer full of human milk and was just wondering if it would be beneficial to our puppy we will be getting. People give dogs all sorts of supplements, wouldn't it be like a raw food supplement?
Um Ewwwww

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Phil and Tracey, after puppies are weaned and on dog kibble, they no longer require milk. Also many dogs are lactose intolerant and don't digest milk very well which can cause stomach and digestion problems and cause diarrhea.
Also- humans are the only mammals on the planet which have adapted to drinking milk beyond infancy so it's not a good idea to give it to a dog, they'd probably get sick. If it is actually a puppy and not a dog, I suggest small amounts of goat milk.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
My wife babysits a few infants..I opened my fridge last week and there were a half dozen frozen bags of breast milk..Now I like to have a milkshake every night and last Thursday I noticed we were out of milk...I have to tell you a bag of that mothers milk mixed with a pint of chocolate Haagen Daz ice cream has given me quite the energy boost and I now feel like a man half my age!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My wife babysits a few infants..I opened my fridge last week and there were a half dozen frozen bags of breast milk..Now I like to have a milkshake every night and last Thursday I noticed we were out of milk...I have to tell you a bag of that mothers milk mixed with a pint of chocolate Haagen Daz ice cream has given me quite the energy boost and I now feel like a man half my age!

OMG… I can't even breathe… LMAO!!! :rofl:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:facepalm: [MENTION=12311]eriesisgod[/MENTION] ---- the crazies come out at night. :D

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
The really funny thing is how it's "normal" for you to drink cows milk but not human milk. Interesting logic huh?

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
But back to the topic at hand I was just really wondering as a supplement? Again I'm not gonna do, I just really curious if it could be used for say a puppy or sick dog? It has great benefits for humans I wonder if any of those benefits would transfer to a dog? Just food, or milk, for thought.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.